• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Single speaker

TankTop

I always listen to music on my iPhone while getting ready in the morning and I want something better. Problem is I don’t have any options for stereo speakers unless I hang them from the ceiling which I’d rather not do. Are there any decent stand alone single speaker options that are reasonably priced?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always listen to music on my iPhone while getting ready in the morning and I want something better. Problem is I don’t have any options for stereo speakers unless I hang them from the ceiling which I’d rather not do. Are there any decent stand alone single speaker options that are reasonably priced?
I have a JBL Charge 3 (current model is Charge 4, could be around €150) blutooth speaker. It's actually a stereo speaker but the distance is too close to get a stereo effect except when listening extremely close. Sound is really decent for the small size. I don't know whether it fits into the closed Apple world though.

The next bigger model (Extreme?) sounds cleaner and can go louder but is twice as expensive. .

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am looking for one as well but much smaller one. Just need something louder than my Samsung phone so I can hear it over my electric toothbrush and such. May buy and test a few....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Likely yes.
Do you want something that connects via bluetooth.

The Apple speaker might be a good choice.

Audio Engine has some as well. Vanatoo I believe has some that connect over bluetooth and are good.

I suppose small soundbars might work in this use case too. That way you can get some stereo effect in one longish speaker.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for one as well but much smaller one. Just need something louder than my Samsung phone so I can hear it over my electric toothbrush and such. May buy and test a few....
There are smaller JBL's as well but I didn 't listen to them.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

gr-e

Check out Oluv's channel, he mostly reviews bluetooth speakers and his reviews are very good

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Teenage Engineering OD-11.jpg

https://teenage.engineering/products/od-11/technology is the only "smart" mono speaker I'd consider, but the prices seem to have gone bonkers.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
That's more than I'd spend on this type of product. I would only ever use it while I'm doing something else, tinkering in the garage, or in the kitchen, never for critical listening.

In addition, I sometimes think that a lot of these "SONOS" type products seem to cost a lot more than the sum of their parts, put a £5 bluetooth receiver, a £20 amplifier and a £10 speaker in a plastic box and it all adds up to £200 or £300. :oops:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What's 'reasonable' to you?

The Sonos One is a good bet. It's predecessor, the Sonos Play: 1, measures well.

Linus

I have a Sonos One. Easy to move around the house; kitchen, bathroom, backyard... Easy to stream with airplay or spotify. A little bit too boomy for my taste, but at least it does sound like crap like cheaper options. Often are on sale too. How awesome it would be if Genelec was making a wireless 8010!!

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
I second the Sonos Play:1 or One recommendation, perfect for bathroom/kitchen/HT surrounds. If you still find it too expensive and you happen to live close to an Ikea store, the Symfonisk shares all the electronic with the Sonos One, and sounds quite close to it. It doesn’t support voice control though.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, the Klipsch The One (and The Three) and PeachTree DeepBlue3 are all pretty good. They get surprisingly loud but are affected by IMD at high volumes. They're not ultra-portables though and it's unfair comparing them to real speakers.

@TankTop , if you're willing to send a speaker to @amirm for testing, you should look at the JBL EON 612. The EON615 was my mystery speaker
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/“mystery”-speaker-opinion-sought.13178/

Theoretically should be really really impressive as a single speaker. It doesn't have bluetooth audio streaming though -- you'd need another box or will need to use a wired cable.

ttimer

If you don't need a battery in the speaker, the ones from IKEA are probably the best bang for the buck you can currently get.

If you are looking for more sound quality for (a lot) more money, many of the big speaker brands offer mono Bluetooth speakers . Dali and Dynaudio come to mind, JBL obviously, KEF too, the list goes on....

Top Bottom