• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Single or Dual RCA Input Terminals for a Monoblock Amp?

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Fosi Audio is developing a new monoblock power amplifier. We initiated this thread to collect advice and suggestions for our reference. Let us hear your sound!

1. Do you prefer a single RCA input terminal or dual ones?

1686723807532.png

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Single

Talisman

Forum Donor
an rca input and an xlr would be excellent, but if you can't at least two rcas.
And please..... Load independent frequency response and become the king of low cost amplifiers

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
If it's a monoblock, it only needs one input, so surely dual would be unnecessary? Bu I also agree with TonyJZX - making the input differential/balanced, especially using XLRs (with a separate, buffered RCA) would be sensible. I expect that only a tiny ratio of monoblocks are sold relative to stereo for a bunch of reasons. The most likely person to buy a monoblock is someone who wants to use short speaker cables, or cares about channel isolation. They are likely to be knowledgeable and aware of the benefits of differential working. Also, by separating the power amps from the main stack, there are more likely to be ground loops in single-ended design.

Zek

Major Contributor
Unbalanced single RCA and balanced XLR.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
do you guys need a passthru rca? not really? also 12v trigger?

its come down to this... if SMSL can sell a XLR dac for $120... I mean...

Kimbrough Xu

I don't understand, I know it is mono channel, but most outputs of my device are dual RCA outputs, how can I connect to a single RCA input?

KSTR

Major Contributor
The question is ill-posed because we are not told what the second input is for?

Anyway, IMHO make a good balanced input and provide the correct(!) cable to attach it to unbalanced sources. To reduce shield current, use R//C bond of Pin1 to chassis (of course in an EMC-compliant way).
If RCA is a must and audio GND is at PE, still use the balanced receiver and still apply the R//C bond of the shell to avoid excessive balancing current from a source which is earth-grounded as well because now shield current produces fully developed error-signal.

Talisman

Forum Donor
The question is ill-posed because we are not told what the second input is for?
Am I the only one who wants to use monoblocks both with a dac for stereo listening and as front amps in a 5.1?
I'd like to use a pair of monoblocks to serve different systems

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Am I the only one who wants to use monoblocks both with a dac for stereo listening and as front amps in a 5.1?
I'd like to use a pair of monoblocks to serve different systems

they should slap on a switch where you can go from rca to xlr

and put it on the front

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Most people use a monoblock with a mono subwoofer signal, or a pair of monoblocks for stereo, or multiple monoblocks for multi-channel or for a bi-amped/tri-amped setup, etc.

Is this for a subwoofer?

I don't understand, I know it is mono channel, but most outputs of my device are dual RCA outputs, how can I connect to a single RCA input?
You should NEVER "short" the left & right outputs together to get mono. Audio signals have to be mixed with a mixer.

You can make a passive mixer with 2 resistors but if you are "developing" an amplifier I'd recommend including a summing amplifier. And if it's for a subwoofer you may want to include a low-pass filter or perhaps a full active crossover.

Top Bottom