• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silent Angel Bonn N8 Audio Grade Ethernet Switch

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
aucp

aucp is audiophile copy, a program for copying digital audio files that incorporates a phase-locked de-jitter algorithm to compensate for variability in reads and writes to the file-system.

It's cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) and only $99 for a one-year license. Send me a message if you're interested.

mansr

Major Contributor

balletboy

Amir's test of this and other ethernet products is a complete waste of time. A far simpler way of doing it is to use the ethernet product under test to download your latest bank statement and whichever has more zeros after ones is the product to go for. But telling an audiophile not to buy one of these is like telling my wife not to buy another pair of shoes. Both are in my mind a waste of money but will provide them both with immense pleasure.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it's not criminal activity.

Criminal activity is someone putting a knife to your throat and demanding your money.

People making stuff and persuading people to buy it is called capitalism.

Personally, I suspect there are a lot of people here who over-estimate the size of the audio snake oil market. True snake oil stuff, this product included, probably accounts for a minute percentage of global sales, I would think a small fraction of 1%, because the vast majority of audio consumers don't even know it exists. A company like Beats with annual revenue of $1.5 billion probably has more annual sales than a large part of the entire high-end hifi market.

Look at the fashion industry and the audio industry is almost saintly by comparison.

I think if they where a EU company their advertising speak could get them into trouble.

"this revolutionary and sophisticated Ethernet switch is capable of producing surprisingly audible sonic improvements in fine music systems. "

Here in the U.S. the statement is a mile wide ambiguity allowing angels to dance on the tip of a needle.

Honestly what these products do, especially when listed in their equipment signature, is to let me know, unequivocally, is who the gullible are. That includes Professors of Electrical Engineering.

balletboy

I think if they where a EU company their advertising speak could get them into trouble.

"this revolutionary and sophisticated Ethernet switch is capable of producing surprisingly audible sonic improvements in fine music systems. "

Here in the U.S. the statement is a mile wide ambiguity allowing angels to dance on the tip of a needle.

Honestly what these products do, especially when listed in their equipment signature, is to let me know, unequivocally, that they are gullible.

Some of the latest case law is here:
https://www.bclplaw.com/en-GB/thoug...ement-that-will-be-welcomed-by-claimants.html

It is not under EU law and they are Swiss anyway, who are not in the EU.

In the UK and USA fraudulent misrepresentation is usually (if not always) a civil offence. It is normally breach of contract or damages in tort. No one goes to prison. So the word "fraudulent" does not mean something is criminal.

On top of which, I do not see that the public interest would be served by condemning to penal servitude the boss of a small Swiss company for offending subscribers to ASR which, it appears, is very easy to do. It would be a lot easier to incarcerate everyone (including me) who bought audio, for example, by listening to it, because then all of Silent Angel's potential customer base would evaporate overnight.

gramp

Amir's test of this and other ethernet products is a complete waste of time. A far simpler way of doing it is to use the ethernet product under test to download your latest bank statement and whichever has more zeros after ones is the product to go for. But telling an audiophile not to buy one of these is like telling my wife not to buy another pair of shoes. Both are in my mind a waste of money but will provide them both with immense pleasure.

No your wife has it better. At least she can wear the shoes out in public and look nice.

This device is truly useless, and from a networking perspective significantly inferior to what you could buy for the same price.

balletboy

No your wife has it better. At least she can wear the shoes out in public and look nice.

This device is truly useless, and from a networking perspective significantly inferior to what you could buy for the same price.

Don't agree with you at all. I'm sure it works perfectly as a network switch. If it doesn't, you can return it and get your money back. Certain audiophiles will believe their audio sounds better and will be very happy.

This is why ethernet device reviews are completely pointless, they don't measure the consumer satisfaction of owning a product that has better components that make no difference at all.

Your comment about my wife's shoes is also misplaced. It implies she wears new shoes for the benefit of other people. No she doesn't. She wears them because they make her feel good. This switch will make some consumers feel good in themselves and they won't give a damn what you or any measurement-types think, just as my wife won't give a damn if I suggest she doesn't need another pair of black boots.

wwenze

Major Contributor

Bank statements have too much jitter. Never on time. Measurable in days. You can't see the benefit of the switch like that.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Some of the latest case law is here:
https://www.bclplaw.com/en-GB/thoug...ement-that-will-be-welcomed-by-claimants.html

It is not under EU law and they are Swiss anyway, who are not in the EU.

In the UK and USA fraudulent misrepresentation is usually (if not always) a civil offence. It is normally breach of contract or damages in tort. No one goes to prison. So the word "fraudulent" does not mean something is criminal.

On top of which, I do not see that the public interest would be served by condemning to penal servitude the boss of a small Swiss company for offending subscribers to ASR which, it appears, is very easy to do. It would be a lot easier to incarcerate everyone (including me) who bought audio, for example, by listening to it, because then all of Silent Angel's potential customer base would evaporate overnight.
Russ Andrews fell foul of advertising standards and got a slap on the wrist .

That's in the UK though .

balletboy

Russ Andrews fell foul of advertising standards and got a slap on the wrist .

That's in the UK though .

That's all that happens.

I once emailed a complaint to the ASA.

During the Champions League the main sponsor, Heineken, did a massive advertising campaign worth hundreds of millions involving people travelling across the world to the final, getting to their seat and taking a Heineken out of their bag. Thousands, including me, pointed out that it is illegal to drink alcohol at your seat in a UK football ground. Heineken argued that it was a generic football ground not necessarily in the UK, pretty stupid seeing they were sponsoring a tournament with a final in London. They were banned from using the advertising campaign - 6 months after the tournament ended!

That's about as bad as it gets.

p.s. Devialet apparently said the Reactor is the best loudspeaker in the world. I'll tell you for free that it isn't, but I still bought one. It's a big hit around here.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't agree with you at all. I'm sure it works perfectly as a network switch. If it doesn't, you can return it and get your money back. Certain audiophiles will believe their audio sounds better and will be very happy.

This is why ethernet device reviews are completely pointless, they don't measure the consumer satisfaction of owning a product that has better components that make no difference at all.

Your comment about my wife's shoes is also misplaced. It implies she wears new shoes for the benefit of other people. No she doesn't. She wears them because they make her feel good. This switch will make some consumers feel good in themselves and they won't give a damn what you or any measurement-types think, just as my wife won't give a damn if I suggest she doesn't need another pair of black boots.

Totally agree. If you get a product and you say it makes you feel like you could jump 10' straight up in the air! I've zero problem.

If you get a product and now you can jump 10 feet in the air. Well hold on while I get my tape measure. This I have GOT to see.

If you get a product and now claim it can make OTHERS jump 10 feet high in the air. Whole other ball game.

Years ago I was listening to an interview with a MLB Ref. Of course the conversation turns to the grief they take from players and coaches and what gets them ejected. The surprise answer wasn't cursing or the like. The magic word the ref said was 'Your...'.

balletboy

Totally agree. If you get a product and you say it makes you feel like you could jump 10' straight up in the air! I've zero problem.

If you get a product and now you can jump 10 feet in the air. Well hold on while I get my tape measure. This I have GOT to see.

If you get a product and now claim it can make OTHERS jump 10 feet high in the air. Whole other ball game.

Years ago I was listening to an interview with a MLB Ref. Of course the conversation turns to the grief they take from players and coaches and what gets them ejected. The surprise answer wasn't cursing or the like. The magic word the ref said was 'Your...'.

The people who say things can make you jump 10 feet in the air tend to be hack writers for audio magazines. Not all of them, mind you. One I know probably has more technical knowledge than everyone here put together and also the ability to communicate it in a meaningful way.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

!movq mm5, [Ecx]
!movntq [Ecx], mm5

So the guy reads the file, laboriously rewrites quadwords one by one, with the intention of bypassing the cache, then writes the whole buffer back... (obtaining a new identical file) that plays back - later - better. Sometimes, I don't get those guys. On one hand, they demonstrate a certain level of knowledge, on the other hand, I can't see what led them to the idea that what they are doing could be useful. I must be missing something really deep...

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
!movq mm5, [Ecx]
!movntq [Ecx], mm5

So the guy reads the file, laboriously rewrites quadwords one by one, with the intention of bypassing the cache, then writes the whole buffer back... (obtaining a new identical file) that plays back - later - better. Sometimes, I don't get those guys. On one hand, they demonstrate a certain level of knowledge, on the other hand, I can't see what led them to the idea that what they are doing could be useful. I must be missing something really deep...

I've seen this often enough that, what I think is happening, is they've gained some requisite knowledge but lack the requisite insight. I recently bumped into this with someone whom I believe is a fellow network engineer. We've both work with IGMP snooping (also PIM), we both know what it's intended to do, what problems it solves. But IMO IGMP solves unwanted multi-cast traffic by performing the dropping action on behalf of clients so they don't have to. It's a filter by the switch. It's traffic negation. Not something that can improve SQ by alleviating the client from dropping the occasional M-Cast. Especially on a home network.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
!movq mm5, [Ecx]
!movntq [Ecx], mm5

Knowledge and understanding does not seem to be the same thing :)

There are guys optimising their OS on a quite technical level I could never follow but I know they are wrong anyway. Some lack what I would call “ technical intuition “ .

These guys would be frustrating to argue with when the discussion gets technical.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I actually like the insane and sincere cognitve bias.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200423-021243_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200423-021243_YouTube.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 237
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom