• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silent Angel Bonn N8 Audio Grade Ethernet Switch

Ahsu7

Thanks, but I guess what I’m asking is if the streamer caches music into its memerory, does a switch have any impact at all? In this case, it’s not pure streaming right?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To follow up on Franks Post:

Routers have buffer/ram/caches
Switches have buffer/ram/caches
Network cards have buffer/ram/caches
Operating systems have buffer/ram/caches
Playback software have buffer/ram/caches

The point is that as data makes it's way to you it's copied again, and again, and again, and again....

Any streamer you use will have buffered the data. Could be a 1MB buffer, could be 1GB buffer.

The question that most should be asking themselves is HOW should they be buffering.

When I answer this question for myself it comes out like this:

I should buffer what I'm wanting to play with as much wire speed that my A to Z chain will allow. Currently over my $210 (Cisco switch with 10GB SFP+ LC MM fiber, Network adapters, and cabling). Hits 332MB/s on average with my playback system.

This is why I DIY my playback system. JRiver is designed by smart people that realize they have users that are going to have top of rack gear and enable them to use it.

I can literally click play on an entire album and in the time it takes me to reach over and pull the fiber connection I have an entire album that will playback without any network connectivity.

People that don't know how non-realtime audio works are simply ignorant. People that understand how non-realtime audio works and still ascribe to audiophile switches are idiots in the literal meaning.

bobby1945

OK I've read this thread in its entirety and it seems nobody has actually listened to one of these audiophile switches in their system.
So all the comments , excluding the bench test by Amir , are based on belief ( In the absence of proof)
I live in Thailand and the Etherstream Fidelizer is produced here, a similar audiophile switch to the SAB.
So ,I am going to take advantage of the 30 day trial on offer and audition this switch in my system -modest as it is.
I'll let you know how it goes .

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So all the comments , excluding the bench test by Amir , are based on belief ( In the absence of proof)

If by 'belief,' you mean belief in science, and then understanding why this device is silly based on said science, then yes. Guilty.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK I've read this thread in its entirety and it seems nobody has actually listened to one of these audiophile switches in their system.
I live in Thailand and the Etherstream Fidelizer is produced here, a similar audiophile switch to the SAB.
So ,I am going to take advantage of the 30 day trial on offer and audition this switch in my system -modest as it is.
For anyone with a understanding of digital fundamentals it is a pretty easy decision to label this switch as snake-oil. It's just that simple. :D

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a switch that improves image quality? Data is data, once it is perfectly preserved, there isnt nothing more a switch can do

You cant listen to a switch, as you cant watch a switch only because it is streaming a movie.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've had in my setup:

Bonn Switch
Up Tone eR
AQ Vodka Ethernet Cable
WW Star lite Ethernet Cable
Nordost Ethernet Cable

Here is a video on 315 foot of Generic CAT5E vs the 12 foot WW Star lite

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone with a understanding of digital fundamentals it is a pretty easy decision to label this switch as snake-oil. It's just that simple. :D
Was about to reply the same.
It is incredible the amount of garbage, ignorance can have people ingest...
As an aside ,the performance of event the cheapest gigabit switch is near incredible .. <$ 20, 8-port non-blocking switches are commonplace...

bobby1945

OK here is my review of the Etherstream Fidelizer network switch.
Here is my system
Router/LPS >audiophile Supra Cat8 >Etherstream/LPS >supra Cat8 >USB 3 port dedicated barebones windows 10 laptop> AudiophileOptimizer>Fidelizer Pro>Process Lasso>ROON Tidal/Qobuz >Supra audiophile USB out > M500 DAC> Balanced XLR out>Elac ARB 51 active speakers. All power via AQ Niagra 1200

Before the audio summary lets comment on the Tv via supra Cat 8 > Nvidia Shield> Display
Immediate obvious colour saturation and overall picture quality -noticeably the outline of images.
Also perceived a lack of buffering on IPTV
A good start.

The Audio.
I choose not to use exaggerated adjectives in this summary , as I find them annoying when used by reviewers.
So in brief when compared to other tweaks or additional changes I have used in the past
AQ Cables - No audio gain
AQ Niagra 1200 power conditioner -No audio gain
Supra Cat8 ethernet cable -No audio Gain
Supra USB cable - SQ gain over standard USB cable
AO - SQ Gain
Fidelizer Pro - Significant SQ gain
Process Lasso - No SQ gain
Audiophile fuses - No SQ gain
Contact Oil - No SQ gain
ROON 1.8 - No SQ gain
Eherstream Fidelizer network Switch - Significant SQ gain
More authority , better instrument separation, increased depth- The SQ change is not subtle
Currently burning in around the clock -apparently SQ increase after 100-200 hours

Caveats
Maybe the improvement in SQ would have been achieved with a standard network switch without the modifications given by Fidelizer or maybe it wouldn't .
Also I live in a condo in Thailand and access to the internet is via copper cable only , no optical fibre cable here , so open to a significant amount of EMI and RFI in the power and internet delivery and of course whatever interference that my supply is subject to within the condo itself.

Bottom Line - The Etherstream is a keeper for sure.

Last edited:

chris719

Better color saturation? You might need your eyes (or brain) examined. This should be easy to show with a camera.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What? Listening tests were part of the review:

Listening Tests
I queued up my reference playlist in Roon and streamed them to Ethernet i. Baseline was with the Bonn N8 in the loop. I switched to just the Netgear and it sounded better! More detail. More air. Just higher fidelity. I then reversed the AB sequence, starting with the Netgear and going to Bonn N8. Same difference! More air, more analog like, etc.

What is going on? Simple: you frame of mind makes a huge difference in what you perceive. When performing comparisons, your brain gets into instrumentation mode and analyzes music differently than when you lean back and just enjoy music. In doing so, it hears more detail, air, etc. It does so even when nothing is changed in the waveform. In other words, the Ethernet switch is not changing sound. It is you that is changing.

This is why we test people blind. When your brain doesn't know what is being tested, then its variations factor out (statistically speaking).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No, the bottom line is that you don't know how to do a proper listening tests so that your brain doesn't confuse you. You wasted your money on something that can't improve sound as a matter of engineering, measurements and proper listening tests.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You sound like you have issues -Do you still live with your mother?
Oh, now you are getting cute as well? Who do you live with, aliens? One more outburst like this and you will be gone.

chris719

You sound like you have issues -Do you still live with your mother?

Frankly, if you had the slightest idea of how digital video and LCD/OLED panels or any other fixed-pixel displays worked, you would realize how insane your assertion is.

Your color claim is so crazy that it immediately tells everyone you aren't credible and they can ignore the rest of your post.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my system
Router/LPS >audiophile Supra Cat8 >Etherstream/LPS >supra Cat8 >USB 3 port dedicated barebones windows 10 laptop> AudiophileOptimizer>Fidelizer Pro>Process Lasso>ROON Tidal/Qobuz >Supra audiophile USB out > M500 DAC> Balanced XLR out>Elac ARB 51 active speakers. All power via AQ Niagra 1200

Before the audio summary lets comment on the Tv via supra Cat 8 > Nvidia Shield> Display
Immediate obvious colour saturation and overall picture quality -noticeably the outline of images.
A good start.

The Audio.
I choose not to use exaggerated adjectives in this summary , as I find them annoying when used by reviewers.
So in brief when compared to other tweaks or additional changes I have used in the past
AO - SQ Gain
Contact Oil - No SQ gain
ROON 1.8 - No SQ gain
More authority , better instrument separation, increased depth- The SQ change is not subtle
Currently burning in around the clock -apparently SQ increase after 100-200 hours

Caveats
Maybe the improvement in SQ would have been achieved with a standard network switch without the modifications given by Fidelizer or maybe it wouldn't .
Also I live in a condo in Thailand and access to the internet is via copper cable only , no optical fibre cable here , so open to a significant amount of EMI and RFI in the power and internet delivery and of course whatever interference that my supply is subject to within the condo itself.

Delicately putting this a simple as possible... It is impossible for the picture quality and sound quality to change in any way shape or form. It just is. The hardware either works or it doesn't in this application and it does not change the sharpness or the outlines and the crispness etc etc. If the unit is working then you get a picture and sound and if there is a issue then you will not get a picture and sound. It is a either or situation and not a slight improvement situation. You have been duped into buying something that is snake-oil. If you have a double blind test you will see that there is no difference or you can just trust us and believe us.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my system

A good start.

The Audio.
AO - SQ Gain
Contact Oil - No SQ gain
ROON 1.8 - No SQ gain

Caveats

Uh huh.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Here is my system

A good start.

The Audio.
AO - SQ Gain
Contact Oil - No SQ gain
ROON 1.8 - No SQ gain

Caveats

(Being as generous as I can here.)

Why not see if the first of your caveats applies? If so, you can return the Fidelizer and save some serious money. It seems crazy that you haven't already done this.

Top Bottom