• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silent Angel Bonn N8 Audio Grade Ethernet Switch

mansr

Major Contributor
!movq mm5, [Ecx]
!movntq [Ecx], mm5

So the guy reads the file, laboriously rewrites quadwords one by one, with the intention of bypassing the cache, then writes the whole buffer back... (obtaining a new identical file) that plays back - later - better. Sometimes, I don't get those guys. On one hand, they demonstrate a certain level of knowledge, on the other hand, I can't see what led them to the idea that what they are doing could be useful. I must be missing something really deep...
The best part is that a modern CPU may well notice that those instructions don't change anything and skip them entirely.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best part is that a modern CPU may well notice that those instructions don't change anything and skip them entirely.

Just use a debugger in audiophile mode. ;)

slingshot

Here’s another one. I am in the wrong business.

https://blinkhighend.com/shop/acces...wer-distribution-ansuz/ansuz-ethernet-switch/

ANSUZ ETHERNET POWER SWITCH X-TC, A2, D2, D-TC

ANSUZ POWER SWITCH BOX – MAKE YOUR STREAMS COME TRUE!

“If you consider yourself an audiophile and an enthusiastic music lover, and think that streaming might be of interest to you, please do not confuse the setup of a LAN-network with setting up an High-end audio network – these are worlds apart if you want your music to sound just right.”
$2,400.00 – $14,400.00

zacster

I've switched from my wired lan to punch cards. I'm finding though that only 3M brand cards sound good, the cheaper brands have flimsy paper that leaves too many hanging chads. GoldCardAudio is working on a new card with micro threads running through them that dampen the vibrating bits. They're a bargain at $2999/case.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think playing music stored on punch cards could really catch on. The hipsters (are they still around?) would drop their vinyls like hot potatoes (or cold PBR, as the case may be) and go crazy for it.
Those old card readers would have a nice industrial chic vibe for the loft, too.

:rolleyes:

slingshot

Here's another one; only 450 British pounds

https://darko.audio/2020/05/english-electric-readies-8switch/

This is the kind of product that causes self-appointed industry wardens and outraged network engineers, almost always with zero listening experience of their own, to furiously wave red cards and hurl expletives (no joke). The more courteous detractor will present Ethernet’s in-built error correction as ‘proof’ that Ethernet-streamed audio data will always and forever sound the same.

In doing so, both types of naysayer show themselves to be ignorant of the electrical noise that travels alongside the data in an Ethernet cable to ultimately disturb the downstream D/A converter’s data clock and analogue output stage.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is the kind of product that causes self-appointed industry wardens and outraged network engineers, almost always with zero listening experience of their own, to furiously wave red cards and hurl expletives (no joke). The more courteous detractor will present Ethernet’s in-built error correction as ‘proof’ that Ethernet-streamed audio data will always and forever sound the same.

In doing so, both types of naysayer show themselves to be ignorant of the electrical noise that travels alongside the data in an Ethernet cable to ultimately disturb the downstream D/A converter’s data clock and analogue output stage.

Darko's a bleeping bleeping: "Our final culprit for electrical noise generation is the network switch’s power supply. High-speed data transfer demands a high-speed power supply "

So if I use a low speed supply do my data rates drop?

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Darko's a bleeping bleeping: "Our final culprit for electrical noise generation is the network switch’s power supply. High-speed data transfer demands a high-speed power supply "

So if I use a low speed supply do my data rates drop?

Exactly. Your MTU is limited to 1500 bytes. Your connection is limited to 1000 gigabits per second. Your Ethernet wires are bleeding 60hz noise all over your nice carpet and your wifi is radiating your house with gigahertz noise.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I cant believe I just read "High-speed data transfer demands a high-speed power supply."

I dont want to live in this world anymore.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I cant believe I just read "High-speed data transfer demands a high-speed power supply."

I dont want to live in this world anymore.
I know it's stating the bleedin' obvious, but if, if, any of this nonsense had any truth in it whatsoever, it would show up in the f****ing measurements.

Abe_W

Got jawdropped watching Hans Beekhuyzen tout this snake oil.

I usually like to watch his reviews. But, the old man's kool-aid drunk when it comes to this bum equipment....Audiophile switch,,,my a**...

Labjr

Major Contributor
Got jawdropped watching Hans Beekhuyzen tout this snake oil.

I usually like to watch his reviews. But, the old man's kool-aid drunk when it comes to this bum equipment....Audiophile switch,,,my a**...

I wouldn't believe anything he says. I quit the audiophile press a long time ago. It's all BS.

sq225917

Major Contributor
He hasn't quite got the idea that a dc psu is effectively infinitely fast, at least as regards powering whatever switches the digital output signal.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hans is fake as fuck. He has all this lab gear behind him that he never uses, he just spits press release claims and audiophile common places. Many times he resorts to "the more expensive, the better"

Labjr

Major Contributor
Hans is fake as fuck. He has all this lab gear behind him that he never uses, he just spits press release claims and audiophile common places. Many times he resorts to "the more expensive, the better"

When I watched some of his videos years ago, the reels on his two track machine didn't move for months.

Ahsu7

Out of curiosity, if a streamer is caching, like an Aurender, would an audiophile switch be even more useless? Is this why the tests showed no difference in performance (I believe the Innuos also caches)?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, if a streamer is caching, like an Aurender, would an audiophile switch be even more useless? Is this why the tests showed no difference in performance (I believe the Innuos also caches)?
For me useless is absolute, and that is what these switches are from a hifi pov, so even more useless is a bit of an oxymoron.
What these things do is seperate science deniers from lots of cash, so from the pov of the companies selling them they are not useless at all :)

Top Bottom