• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silent Angel Bonn N8 Audio Grade Ethernet Switch

tw99

Thank you @radix very interesting! That I can imagine too - also the difference the various I/O Interfaces (HDD vs SSD) have.
So even though there is buffering on the operating system level / layer as well as on the software / app level (which is often claimed equals any differences jitter or timing differences cause including network traffic).

So in a chain of a NAS (QNAP) running ROON and streaming to a LUMIN as an endpoint which is connected to a Devialet (acting as a DAC and amp) what would be the area to address?
None of them, it all works fine…

radix

Major Contributor
So in a chain of a NAS (QNAP) running ROON and streaming to a LUMIN as an endpoint which is connected to a Devialet (acting as a DAC and amp) what would be the area to address?

The first question is, what's the problem?

If you have audible issues with that system, or cut outs or bad delays to play songs, I'd first look at the QNAP to make sure it is OK. Or maybe you have a bad disk. Unless you have a bad cable, I doubt the any playback problems are with the lumin or devialet.

What one could do is play a lossless song (e.g. flac) and then record it from the Lumin output (via a a/d device). You can then align and invert and sum the original flac with the recorded song to see any differences.

you can also play test tone files and look at the resulting tone out of the lumin.

But I'd only waste my time with that stuff if I thought I had a real problem or wanted to make a youtube video or something.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can put me down in the what problem group, but aside from this what is the LUMIN giving you over roon sending the data direct to the Devialet?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @radix very interesting! That I can imagine too - also the difference the various I/O Interfaces (HDD vs SSD) have.
So even though there is buffering on the operating system level / layer as well as on the software / app level (which is often claimed equals any differences jitter or timing differences cause including network traffic).

There is no area to address. If some snake oil vendor wants to take a crack at a Zero Copy, RTOS stack, I say let them knock themselves out. This is a solved problem ESPECIALLY given that we aren't talking about real-time audio.

Top Bottom