• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Significant improvement or...?

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hopefully, the 1220 will do its job adequately.

I measured a motherboard that uses the ALC1220: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON. It's not horrible, but it's not great, either. Again, I would have no problems using it as a source, but not as an headphone out (because of its absolutely horrendous output impedance).

Also keep in mind that the specific DAC chip used is only half the story. Maybe even less than that. What truly matters is how the chip is integrated into the overall circuit, especially for things like motherboards that have a lot of noisy circuitry around. I suspect most of the results are caused by MSI engineers doing a meh job, not by the ALC1220 chip itself being bad. You can't really draw conclusions just from looking at the chip reference - you need to look at the performance of the device as a whole.

Tup3x

That Realtek chips claims some nice specs like 120 db SNR output and 113 db input. The question is whether it meets that or not.
If this RMAA test was done properly then it looks better than average, but far short of specs.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-prime-x570-pro/9.html
View attachment 30217

Now I don't know that you'd see a large improvement going to an external DAC over that. I would think you would benefit to feed the outputs of this to the JDS Atom amp. So certainly prior to buying the external DAC, I'd try the Atom with the chip you have. If it has no obvious problems, that is likely all you really need. If you find it sometimes lacking, then you can spring for the DAC later.
That's likely a simple loopback so doesn't tell much because the RealTek ADC (and input stage) is certainly worse than the DAC part (line out). In any case if those numbers are reality, then SoundBlasterX AE-5 for example runs circles around it.

OP
I

iazriel

If only I could put a SB AE-5 in my rig I would be more than happy. But I have a beefy graphics card and limited space and the SB will choke the graphics card's fans :(

There's another thing though. We can of course argue that an external dac can offer a significant change for music critical listening for example. But what about PC games? Furthermore, I am going to use HeSuVi in order to emulate some surround effects, it works wonders in Witcher for example for immersion. So, I don't really know how much a better dac will affect that kind of gaming audio tbh.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's likely a simple loopback so doesn't tell much because the RealTek ADC (and input stage) is certainly worse than the DAC part (line out). In any case if those numbers are reality, then SoundBlasterX AE-5 for example runs circles around it.
That is certainly true. But the loopback of a device with their claimed specs would have been much better than the actual results.

Tup3x

If only I could put a SB AE-5 in my rig I would be more than happy. But I have a beefy graphics card and limited space and the SB will choke the graphics card's fans :(

There's another thing though. We can of course argue that an external dac can offer a significant change for music critical listening for example. But what about PC games? Furthermore, I am going to use HeSuVi in order to emulate some surround effects, it works wonders in Witcher for example for immersion. So, I don't really know how much a better dac will affect that kind of gaming audio tbh.
Something like Sound BlasterX G6 would be pretty good compromise. Really nice price considering what it can do while being USB powered.

That is certainly true. But the loopback of a device with their claimed specs would have been much better than the actual results.
True. Clearly it's not optimal - or at very least the line in doesn't even remotely match the specs (though, they are just referring the ADC and DAC specs; that should be banned as false advertising).

If I do RMAA loopback on my AE-5 the results are basically as good as the SoundCore3D ADC specs (noise and dynamic range are ~101dBA in loopback test), which tells something.

OP
I

iazriel

Something like Sound BlasterX G6 would be pretty good compromise. Really nice price considering what it can do while being USB powered.

I thought about it also, but I decided to go for a -better- amp first and then if needed for an external DAC for better quality no matter being a bit more expensive. Although G6 being advertised as an audiophile gaming amp/dac solution, I was told that it was not that good compared to a separate Atom/DAC combo.

OP
I

iazriel

I received the DT 770 and the atom today. Holy shit... Sundara became alive with the amp and the 770 behaved surprisingly well for a closed back, compared to Sundara, surely better than the Mobius. To be really honest both in Tidal Hifi (stereo mode) and in games (Witcher, shadow of war) using HeSuVi the results were stellar using the onboard dac. I honestly dunno if a USB one like the topping D30 would add anything to the sound quality or volume. I just had a small issue with hellblade which despite turning on gain in the amp still sounded low at 12 o'clock but I guess it's the game that acts this way or I have to disable hesuvi and use only stereo mode due to its binaural mastering. In any case, very very happy with the purchase a little under 300€.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am thinking of taking an external DAC like the Topping D30 which is considered the best afaik for its money. The 1 million $ question is this: Am I going to see a significant difference over my onboard one worthy of spending 120€ to get this dac?

Thank you in advance for your answers and guidance!

You will likely to notice the difference, but I suggest a different DAC (if it is available for u) - Schiit Modi 3. I only suggest it because I have it and can tell that there is a difference between PC line -out and Modi3. It is a pleasant difference. Now, for games, with their explosions and shots - I don't know if u will get much. There r offline (single user) games, which tend to have very nice music/soundtrack (Far Cry 5, GTA 5) - there you will notice, but in shooters, steps, explosions, positioning - nah, not really.

OP
I

iazriel

I am not playing any competitive games so no steps or positioning or anything like that. Single player experiences is what I am after (Witcher, Skyrim, Darksiders) where sound quality and immersion > positional audio. I am listening to forest sounds in Witcher on my DT 770 using HeSuVi with Dolby Home Theater v4 surround and it's a blast of an experience. To be honest, listening to the above games and Tidal HiFi with my current DAC I am happy but you know what they say, ignorance is bliss. Until a month ago, I believed that my Nari Ultimate headset was the best thing I've ever heard (shame, shame, shame).

Unfortunately I live in Greece and there is no way or at least cheap way to get the Modi 3. That's why I am looking at Topping solutions or whatever else that's currently available in any EU store that can deliver to Greece, to avoid extra postal and customs fees...

Top Bottom