• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The unit body on my Porsche 911 is a 1973 - the rest of it is different years to get the lightest, strongest, fastest parts...

They really are simple cars (except for some of the engine internals). Mine has a Pioneer SuperTuner but needs a better head unit...

One thing I did was to take off the fuel injection (on the 1986 engine with hotrodded modifications to the heads, pistons, cams) and put on some carbs for more induction noise.

Which brings up the issue of what types of car motors have the most mellifluous engine noises...
Maybe I'm being nostalgic for something I never even personally knew, but knowing that I'll never get to hear this sound from my car makes me jealous of my parents:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember seeing my first dressed out Goldwing, and thinking, "that is a motorcycle for people who don't want to be on a motorycycle". Couldn't get over the guy riding along on cruise control and smoking a cigarette as he went.

Nahh...That's trike conversions.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nahh...That's trike conversions.
Well, this was in the days before you had trikes generally. I see trike conversions as usually for people who do like bikes, but due to age or health issues need something that holds itself upright. At least around here the owners of trike conversions are overwhelmingly geriatric.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Serge was being witty, but IMO a real motorcycle weighs less than 450 lbs
Round here we call them bicycles. (or dirt bikes) ;)

Well, this was in the days before you had trikes generally. I see trike conversions as usually for people who do like bikes, but due to age or health issues need something that holds itself upright. At least around here the owners of trike conversions are overwhelmingly geriatric.
That's the road of life. I sold a lot of trikes to guys who been riding all their life but just handling the weight of getting the bike in and out of the garage and such had become such a chore they had all but given up riding. Knees and hips are the most common issues. So rather than give up they compromise and get a trike so they can still get in the wind. It's easy to look down your nose until your grandfather starts looking at you in the mirror.

Before trikes there was sidecars, rarely seen today.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
^^^
WTF is it? Pretty cool in any case. ;)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Can't tell if that's a engine dyno setup or maybe in a boat?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
^^^
WTF is it? Pretty cool in any case. ;)
Looks like a N/A twin plug Porsche flat-6 engine. It is driving a cardan shaft at a fair bit of an angle for that design of UJ :oops: (There will be considerable torsional speed fluctuation).
Looks like a dyno.
The exhaust one can see in the foreground is odd and isn't connected, possibly for a different engine test. The exhaust for this actual engine can be seen lower down.

Zerimas

:D
Please guys, everyone world wide knows that nothing stirs the soul like the sound of a big Harley Davidson V-Twin.
A major reason why they are the most coveted motorcycle in the world. ;)

And running a close second, the Italian V-Twins

Nah, I quite prefer mid-"grrrrr" of my Yamaha XS750 or the the polite little putt-putt of the parallel-twin on my CB450s. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
:D

Nah, I quite prefer mid-"grrrrr" of my Yamaha XS750 or the the polite little putt-putt of the parallel-twin on my CB450s. :D
Your money, you buys your ticket and you takes your ride. ;)

MRC01

Major Contributor
...[regarding the sound of HD engines] ... Nah, I quite prefer mid-"grrrrr" of my Yamaha XS750 or the the polite little putt-putt of the parallel-twin on my CB450s. :D
As a former Harley owner, it always sounded like a 1300cc engine making only 57 HP. The best sounding motorbike I ever owned was a '99 Honda Magna, a V-4 750cc with Vance & Hines glasspacks and jetted carbs. Its 360* crankshaft and V-4 configuration gave it a firing rotation of 90-270-90-270 and that classic slightly uneven lopey sound.
Then again, I'm in the minority. Everyone else seems to think the Harley is the best sounding motorbike engine. A chacun son gout!

UCrazyKid

Lexus LX570 (Land Cruiser) for commuting and fun in the dirt, Lexus ISF for fun on the tarmac on good weather days.
IMG_3834sm.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Lexus LX570 (Land Cruiser) for commuting and fun in the dirt, Lexus ISF for fun on the tarmac on good weather days.
Why the giant front bumper?

MRC01

Major Contributor
Here's another great sounding engine, from a car that was super-fun to drive. It can be hard to tell whether it's kit-built or factory:

1607028565395.png

1607028597033.png

UCrazyKid

Why the giant front bumper?
The bumper dramatically increases the approach angle, provides "armor" around delicate vitals (radiator, lights) from rocks, branches, etc. It is directly bolted to the frame and allows for solid recovery points that can hold the entire weight of the vehicle (6,000lbs unloaded) and hold the 9,000 lbs winch for recovering the vehicle or recovering other vehicles. Also protects the vehicle from animal strikes (deer) on dark dirt roads. Also minimizes damage in traffic accidents.
Trail.jpg

Top Bottom