• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not even sure I would enjoy it in real life

View attachment 100569
The maintenance costs on these are unbelievable. Fluids have to be changed annually whether driven or not at a cost of $24k. Tires every 2 years whether worn or not. The entire wheel and tire is sent to France for replacement, around $30k. If you want to drive fast a used 2019 Z06 Corvette will set you back around $70k or so with it's 650 hp supercharged V8.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why would you replace the tires every year??

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
why would you replace the tires every year??
physical degradation due to environmental factors and aging of the polymers.
I suspect a 300mph car which weighs over 2 tons stresses its tyres close to their physical limit if the performance is used. Which it won't be. of course, but insurance, liability etc..

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NHTSA says to replace tires every 6 years. I doubt the Bug sees too many track events...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not bad...

"Thirty-six inches tall, 17.5 inches wide, and weighing 48 pounds apiece, they're part number 2747 in the Goodyear Racing catalog, $917 per tire. Each one is expected to last eight runs, or a bit more than 1.5 miles."

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a26089565/drag-racing-tires-explainer/#:~:text=Thirty-six inches tall, 17.5,bit more than 1.5 miles.
When we used Goodyear tyres in F1, for a lot of years, I worked closely with and got quite friendly with a few of the Akron engineers. Some of them had come from drag racing. The teams use a ring of self-tapping screws through holes in the rim directly into the bead to stop the tyre spinning on the wheel...
Or they did then, maybe more high-tech now, maybe not :)
Talking spectacular big forces there. I love the wrinkle wall to get a long contact patch and the bias belt which allows them to grow as they speed up down the strip. Everything about the whole sport is delightfully extreme :)
Love it.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
A couple of years ago, NASCAR had a road race for the smaller cars. It was raining so they used the racing rain tires. The tires were about 7 years old.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Talking spectacular big forces there.

Walked down the track after the last runs of Top Fuel (or whatever those long skinny cars were).

Little scuffballs of rubber about 18 inches apart, I figured each piston was leaving it's mark on the track.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of years ago, NASCAR had a road race for the smaller cars. It was raining so they used the racing rain tires. The tires were about 7 years old.
Well, better than slicks but the rubber would have been hard.
Back then in the Goodyear days the sticky rubber was incompletely cured, so they continued hardening with age (and quicker if warm) newer the batch the quicker the tyre.
Warming thetyres at the last moment helped too.
We used to send our tyre guy to "help Goodyear unload their truck" and he made sure the newest date stamp tyres went on our rims.
Racer's edge.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The maintenance costs on these are unbelievable. Fluids have to be changed annually whether driven or not at a cost of $24k. Tires every 2 years whether worn or not. The entire wheel and tire is sent to France for replacement, around $30k. If you want to drive fast a used 2019 Z06 Corvette will set you back around $70k or so with it's 650 hp supercharged V8.

This is a non-issue if you are an Emirati princeling that is the target market.

You just drive one of your other super cars in your collection while your staff takes care of this nonsense for you.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gordon Murray is about to build a nice sports car for us folks...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The teams use a ring of self-tapping screws through holes in the rim directly into the bead to stop the tyre spinning on the wheel...
A very common practice at many levels of drag racing, needed when the tyre gets better grip on the track then it does on the wheel.

And talking about extreme, and screws in tires, we come to motorcycle ice racing. A very good friend of mine was national champ back in the 80s. Don't fall down and get run over. :facepalm:
Eisspeedway_Journal_1.jpg

PEuGO4W.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a well sealed VW Vanagon front door; the actuation rod runs in that plastic tube...
pass door showing tube.jpeg

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1608757559096.png

My wife's pride and joy. Her second Miata. This is a 25th Anniversary model, one of about 100 in the US and around 1,000 world-wide. Miatas are great little driving cars. Her first was a 2001 that we had from new until this one arrived in late 2015. It share the garage with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which fits us both (I'm over 6' and she's 4'10") and plenty of room for our three rescue standard Poodles.

Top Bottom