• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Jimi Floyd

Porsche.jpg

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I just sent out my letter to Santa. I have been a good boy this year, so I'm asking him a grey Ferrari 812 GTS

View attachment 251598

I hope to find it under the tree on Sunday morning. I'll keep you all posted about it.
Call me crazy but I hate these rubber band sidewalls, even on sports cars. These 20+ inch rims are a nightmare. I special ordered 18s on my W222.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jim Floyd: In addition to Ford Beating Ferrari at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Porsche 906's (2.0 Litre engines, a street legal car, from a much lesser displacement class) placed 4-5-6-7 behind the three Ford GT40 Mk IIs (7.0 Litre Engines), outlasting at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans, all of the previously dominant V12-engined Ferrari Ps.
250px-Porsche_906_%282008-06-28%29.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd give up my morning quad-shots and banana for this yellow beauty:
View attachment 251627
Even with its "auto-shift" manual, I'd take it over any other Ferrari at any cost.
I thought the yellow Ferrari horse emblem color is supposed to match the rim inserts and brakes coloration? In this pic the rim inserts are not matching anything.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more of a fan of vintage Ferraris. Sort of up to the 365GT4 BB.
I used to (1974-76) occasionally drive a (a 1968, I think) ight hand drive 365 GT 2+2 (with A/C), owned by a friend. At the time I had a 1968 325 HP SS396 Chevelle (with A/C) and from time to time we would drag race these 2 cars. Who won in the 1/4 mile depended on who launched their car the best, but the Ferrari always had top speed beyond the 1/4 mile. And was just a much nicer car in every respect.

iulianm

For my wife, we moved from this:
IMG_5684.jpeg

To this:
IMG_9502.jpeg

Same platform, same interior just with 2.5l turbo engine.

Because it's ASR, let's share some beginner measurements as out of curiosity I've measured today the CX-30's system (which should be identical as the speakers and amp have the same part number) and did some listening tests and I have some impressions and data to share:
First of all, I haven't found a similar photo for the CX-30 but this is the speaker placement on Mazda3 hatchback and from my (limited experience) is one of the best systems in it's class.
Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire

I have a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone with which I've done the measurements.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Some impressions:
  • To my ears, the system in CX-30 sounds a bit different compared with the one from Mazda3 and it could be due to different seat position and how speakers fit in the cabin
  • like in the Mazda3, the system seems to be bass heavy (linear mode helps reduce a bit at lower volume as standard mode will pump the bass even more at lower volumes)
  • there's a significant drop bellow 35-40Hz and the bass seems to be localizable as coming from the trunk; I'm not sure what is the crossover point but usually above 80Hz you can localize the source of the sound.
  • big difference in sound quality between bluetooth and cable
This is the frequency response between the two cars.
CX-30-Mazda-3-STD.png

Then I have done measurements at two different seat position and I haven't seen much of a difference (but there is one nevertheless):
IMG_9546.jpegIMG_9544.jpeg
Not much difference:
CX-30-different-seat-positions.png

I have compared my measurements with what savagegeese (Youtuber) measured on Mazda3 hatch and the same drop under ~35-40Hz is observed on his measurements as well.
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

I also have a '21 BMW 3-Series with Harman Kardon system and some notes about it:
  • The HK has 16 speakers and the subwoofers are under the front seats
  • Bose is more bass heavy while BMW's is a bit more balanced
  • NVH also helps the sound in the BMW
  • at Mazda you can hear that the subwoofer is in the trunk while in BMW everything seems more balanced (the subwoofers, as I mentioned above, are under the front seats)
Automotive lighting Font Bicycle part Electric blue Auto part

Here's the measurement between these two:
CX-30-BMW-3-SERIES-Harman.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Because it's ASR, let's share some beginner measurements as out of curiosity I've measured today the CX-30's system...
What would be most telling to supplement your findings would be to duplicate these efforts, while the vehicle is at speed on some highway.
[I don't want to hear any crash-blame for this suggestion!:facepalm:]

mglobe

Forum Donor
For my wife, we moved from this:
View attachment 271031
To this:
View attachment 271032
Same platform, same interior just with 2.5l turbo engine.

Because it's ASR, let's share some beginner measurements as out of curiosity I've measured today the CX-30's system (which should be identical as the speakers and amp have the same part number) and did some listening tests and I have some impressions and data to share:
First of all, I haven't found a similar photo for the CX-30 but this is the speaker placement on Mazda3 hatchback and from my (limited experience) is one of the best systems in it's class.
Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire

I have a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone with which I've done the measurements.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Some impressions:
  • To my ears, the system in CX-30 sounds a bit different compared with the one from Mazda3 and it could be due to different seat position and how speakers fit in the cabin
  • like in the Mazda3, the system seems to be bass heavy (linear mode helps reduce a bit at lower volume as standard mode will pump the bass even more at lower volumes)
  • there's a significant drop bellow 35-40Hz and the bass seems to be localizable as coming from the trunk; I'm not sure what is the crossover point but usually above 80Hz you can localize the source of the sound.
  • big difference in sound quality between bluetooth and cable
This is the frequency response between the two cars.
View attachment 271035
Then I have done measurements at two different seat position and I haven't seen much of a difference (but there is one nevertheless):
View attachment 271036View attachment 271037
Not much difference:
View attachment 271034
I have compared my measurements with what savagegeese (Youtuber) measured on Mazda3 hatch and the same drop under ~35-40Hz is observed on his measurements as well.
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

I also have a '21 BMW 3-Series with Harman Kardon system and some notes about it:
  • The HK has 16 speakers and the subwoofers are under the front seats
  • Bose is more bass heavy while BMW's is a bit more balanced
  • NVH also helps the sound in the BMW
  • at Mazda you can hear that the subwoofer is in the trunk while in BMW everything seems more balanced (the subwoofers, as I mentioned above, are under the front seats)
Automotive lighting Font Bicycle part Electric blue Auto part

Here's the measurement between these two:
View attachment 271033
I’m a big fan of Mazda products, though don’t own a street car Mazda right now. Very curious to hear about the car with the 2.5 Turbo. Has to be a lot of fun.

TankTop

Mazda is currently the most reliable auto manufacturer by a long shot. It was the last dealer I worked at and if it wasn’t for the used car department the shop would go out of business.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Call me crazy but I hate these rubber band sidewalls, even on sports cars. These 20+ inch rims are a nightmare. I special ordered 18s on my W222.
When I ordered my last car, I specified I wanted the smallest possible rim size. The salesmen thought I meant the largest rim size to minimise the tyre width, as all the other clowns ordered. Had to put him right about comfort, not looks.

S.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mazda is currently the most reliable auto manufacturer by a long shot. It was the last dealer I worked at and if it wasn’t for the used car department the shop would go out of business.
My first and last Mazda was a MX-6; a true lemon if there ever was one. Damaged the brand for me and I have not considered another Mazda for 20 years, although I'm sure things are different now.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mazda is currently the most reliable auto manufacturer by a long shot [wtf?]. It was the last dealer I worked at and if it wasn’t for the used car department the shop would go out of business.
The first hit to my query "JD Power manufacturer reliability list" shows that Mazda scores a 174 in comparison to Lexus (w/a score of 133):
202303_JDPower.png
;)
Next time, please warn us, so that we can fetch our bsprotectors...
I'll apologize if I am wrong.

30 Ounce

My first and last Mazda was a MX-6; a true lemon if there ever was one. Damaged the brand for me and I have not considered another Mazda for 20 years, although I'm sure things are different now.
I had the same thing with a Ford F350. 4 transmissions in 90k miles! Ford paid for the first 2 but I paid for the 2nd 2. I will never buy another Ford.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
no wonder, that monstrosity was nothing but a Ford Probe in disguise

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reliability is still one of my top criteria in any car buying purchase. My son was sold a Hyundai Santa Fe by a relative in December. In early March, the engine failed and it's now at the dealership awaiting a new one. Didn't know in December that Hyundai had a huge recall for faulty engines. Will never buy a Hyundai again.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the same thing with a Ford F350. 4 transmissions in 90k miles! Ford paid for the first 2 but I paid for the 2nd 2. I will never buy another Ford.
Interestingly, Ford is the only one of the big 3 I've never owned. My mom had a Mercury Mountaineer, and it was awful.

In the 350 class, I'd get a Ram. In the 2500 class, Ram. 1500 class, Ram. EV? Harder to say. I have a deposit on the Ram Rev, but the Hummer does look amazing, and the Rivian is even more impressive. Granted, they're all stupidly large barges.

Top Bottom