• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never had that chance :( although I crossed him several time on the circuit here in Le Mans ... over the years before the Audi diesel ridiculous saga ... :facepalm:
I saw him at pretty well every race the BMW turbo F1 race ran at, sometimes had a beer in the evening during the engineers BS period.

OP
W

W2S

Love Le Mans been twice great venue Fans are absolutely amazing

Did get tickets last year from Stratstone BMW for glamping at Le Mans but had prior appointment with my heart surgeon

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Indeed, all the 24 hrs. events are amazing ones (bikes, trucks, karts ...), not only the 24 hrs. everyone knows.
I had been volunteer track marshal for many years, there are abt. 500 or so volunteer track marshals who rotate around the 24 hrs. events.

OP
W

W2S

Here's an interview with the CEO of Alpina that you guy's may like

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here's an interview with the CEO of Alpina that you guy's may like
I had one of the scariest rides of my life in a 12 cylinder BMW Alpina. The co-founder of Microsoft Japan bought one and wanted to show it off to us. So he floors it in the streets of Tokyo! I was in the back and thought I was going to die more than once. He had customized seats in it and that alone had cost something like $20,000.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had one of the scariest rides of my life in a 12 cylinder BMW Alpina. The co-founder of Microsoft Japan bought one and wanted to show it off to us. So he floors it in the streets of Tokyo! I was in the back and thought I was going to die more than once. He had customized seats in it and that alone had cost something like $20,000.

There is nothing scarier than driving in Houston during rush hour in anything smaller than a full size pickup.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He had customized seats in it and that alone had cost something like $20,000.
I regularly used to park next to an alpina, and always noticed the seats were a work of art.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is where we used to go for fun in the 1960s, probably far too may people about nowadays, it is single track, but back then rarely saw anyone else.
https://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass/

Hardknott and Wrynose passes in Cumbria are quite an experience. I used to mix intense hate and love of those roads, on a quiet day with no spanners trying to tow caravans over them they can be great fun but in summer especially they become a nightmare. And don't laugh about the caravans, I have actually seen people try it with calamitous results. Some of the Cumbrian fell roads would probably be condemned just about anywhere else in the world. We moved down here for work and it is thinking about stuff like that that makes me think it'd be nice to go back up North to live some day.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardknott and Wrynose passes in Cumbria are quite an experience. I used to mix intense hate and love of those roads, on a quiet day with no spanners trying to tow caravans over them they can be great fun but in summer especially they become a nightmare. And don't laugh about the caravans, I have actually seen people try it with calamitous results. Some of the Cumbrian fell roads would probably be condemned just about anywhere else in the world. We moved down here for work and it is thinking about stuff like that that makes me think it'd be nice to go back up North to live some day.
We lived about 60 miles south of there when I was a boy, now I am a long way from there but with 6 grandchildren within walking distance I am not moving back.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here's a video for you Subaru WRX Fans out there

Got my love of Subaru by watching Colin Mcrae

I have no interest in Subaru but I agree, that is one nice evaluation of those cars. So much better than typical reviews.

Tip

ASR post.JPG

Last of the hatchback WRXs, with STI short-throw shifter and performance exhaust (I previously had a 2002 WRX Sportwagon.) C5 Corvette with rare Pewter paint and Firethorn Red interior combination. WRX is slightly quicker than the C5 (and much quicker than current WRXs) to 60mph.

ASR.JPG
Seven Axiom SL custom titanium frame with Campagnolo 11-speed & Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Columbus SLX) frame with Campagnolo 10-speed.

Tip

How's the oil consumption on that thing?

It hasn't been a problem. I've never had to add oil between the scheduled oil & filter changes. This was one of the good model years (2011) for the WRX. Consumer Reports said its biggest problem is the transmission, but being 66 years old I don't drive it like the kids do (dropping the clutch at 4000 revs and such.) I've been looking for a new car but I can't find anything that offers the same performance and utility, with all-wheel-drive (I live in northeast Ohio), as this car. The Cleveland Auto Show starts today and I'll go down and take a look at the Stinger and Golf R, but I really like the reliability of Subarus. Do you have any suggestions for what other cars I should at?

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It hasn't been a problem. I've never had to add oil between the scheduled oil & filter changes. This was one of the good model years (2011) for the WRX. Consumer Reports said its biggest problem is the transmission, but being 66 years old I don't drive it like the kids do (dropping the clutch at 4000 revs and such.) I've been looking for a new car but I can't find anything that offers the same performance and utility, with all-wheel-drive (I live in northeast Ohio), as this car. The Cleveland Auto Show starts today and I'll go down and take a look at the Stinger and Golf R, but I really like the reliability of Subarus. Do you have any suggestions for what other cars I should at?
That's good to know, thanks. And sorry, I don't know what car to suggest. To me a car is two things: large, and American.

OP
W

W2S

OP
W

W2S

Place your bets

2019 BMW M5 Competition vs. Dodge Demon?

Top Bottom