• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You guys like to go in straight lines or around ovals

My favorite drive/ride is the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive.

469 + 105 = 574 miles. One stop sign, where you cross from one to the other. Oh, they built a bridge over the intersection, so, no more stop.

Smooth two lane blacktop, limited side roads, follows the mountain ridges. Park land on both sides the whole way. Overlooks, camping, antique touristy stops.

Built mostly during the 1930's as a Public Works Project to help end the Depression under Roosevelt. They used to actually do something with "welfare" money.

The speed limit is 45/35/25, which, on a bike, can translate to about 80/60/40 without much stress.

It rains a lot in the summer, so, you have to be cognizant of that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.363...DvF8jzu4TVR4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i46

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The most famous ( or infamous) portion is known as The Tail Of The Dragon at Deals Gap. 318 curves in 18 miles!
https://tailofthedragon.com/
Calestar1024.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Erik

From a 30mph rolling start the M3 going to beat the 335D 7 out of 10 times
Under 20mph the 335D will beat the M3 8 out 10 times
Where did you get these numbers from? The second video you linked shows a previous generation non-stock 335d and a wheel spinning M3. Also, as I have mentioned already, 0-100 and standing starts do not reflect car dynamics in normal everyday usage (if you are not a light-to-light racer). I suspect you have deliberately ignored the first video that pops up when searching "335d M3" because its result proves my point.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LMMng6P1AE
There is nothing bad in a little bit of post-purchase rationalization, but comparing 335d to M3 in terms of acceleration performance is just absurd.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I remember going to what would be known as the Tail of the Dragon in the early 70's and there wasn't all that much traffic. Not the case anymore. Once drove a customized 34 Ford across it (Corvette suspension among other changes). As well as a 40 Buick. The nearby Fontana Dam road is almost too curvy. Maybe not as many curves but some are like 270 degree curves or thereabouts. You meet yourself coming the other way as they say. Much worse place to have a crash. Much prettier drive in my opinion.

Last time I was there saw three bike crashes, one requiring an ambulance pick up.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oil injection so no mixing oil with your gasoline.
The cause of more engine seizures than I'd ever want to think about.
Everything I've ever owned with OI had it disabled and I manually mixed my fuel.
It was never about if OI would fail, only when. ;)

Reactions: EJ3

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last time I was there saw three bike crashes, one requiring an ambulance pick up.
Used to race about in places like that when I was younger, later I learned to prefer places where an error didn't include a 500' drop into jagged rocks. Road America or Blackhawk Farms were better and much closer to home options.
Now I only get reminded every morning when getting out of bed of my life taking 2 wheels to the extreme

garbulky

Major Contributor
As a brit, driving in the USA is a pleasure. Wide open roads, even in towns, compared with the congestion we have here...although I know that driving on 8 lanes with 4 lanes going slow is not fun. Thank you LA!

The thing I notice most is that parking places in Supermarkets and shopping malls are actually made for full-size vehicles, whereas here they're made for Smart cars....which is why I use my wife's Smart car for any trip into town.

Some years ago in Atlanta, I requested a 'full size' car from Hertz or Avis and and was offered a Lincoln Town Car. Over here, town cars are tiny things, like Smart Cars, whereas over there, a Town car starts in one county and ends in the next...at least that's how it felt. I could get used to that sort of motoring. I was most impressed that even the supermarkets could cope with that.

S.
I love town cars. I am sad that they have been retired. You can get a used one for an excellent price

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I love town cars. I am sad that they have been retired. You can get a used one for an excellent price
They about all been replaced by 4 door 20 foot long pickups.
Great road cruisers, but hell to parallel park in the city. :eek:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In rural Suffolk, there are plenty of roads narrower than the Town Car, and it's twice as long as a Supermarket parking bay, so it'll just have to have the memory of driving around Atlanta in one.

S

garbulky

Major Contributor
In rural Suffolk, there are plenty of roads narrower than the Town Car, and it's twice as long as a Supermarket parking bay, so it'll just have to have the memory of driving around Atlanta in one.

S
An old Town Car was the best car I've used. The Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria are also favorites of mine. But the Town Car has very comfortable seats.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The most famous ( or infamous) portion is known as The Tail Of The Dragon at Deals Gap

That's another road entirely. US-129, runs from Cheifland FL to Knoxville TN

I too stumbled upon the Deal's Gap section in the 70's before it became a "thing" and before it was (apparently) regraded and repaved.. It doesn't look nearly as interesting as the 1930's version of it did back then.

The Dragon has been emasculated.

Last edited:
OP
W

W2S

Where did you get these numbers from? The second video you linked shows a previous generation non-stock 335d and a wheel spinning M3. Also, as I have mentioned already, 0-100 and standing starts do not reflect car dynamics in normal everyday usage (if you are not a light-to-light racer). I suspect you have deliberately ignored the first video that pops up when searching "335d M3" because its result proves my point.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LMMng6P1AE
There is nothing bad in a little bit of post-purchase rationalization, but comparing 335d to M3 in terms of acceleration performance is just absurd.

Save all the arguments when I've got time in May or June I'll do a shootout video as I have access to a BMW M4 Convertible Competition pack or if you want a BMW M2

IMG-20170319-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

W2S

469 + 105 = 574 miles. One stop sign, where you cross from one to the other. Oh, they built a bridge over the intersection, so, no more stop.

Smooth two lane blacktop, limited side roads, follows the mountain ridges. Park land on both sides the whole way. Overlooks, camping, antique touristy stops.

Built mostly during the 1930's as a Public Works Project to help end the Depression under Roosevelt. They used to actually do something with "welfare" money.

The speed limit is 45/35/25, which, on a bike, can translate to about 80/60/40 without much stress.

It rains a lot in the summer, so, you have to be cognizant of that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.363...DvF8jzu4TVR4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i46

Stunning Views

Was looking to do a US Road trip 2020 maybe one of places to go

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's another road entirely. US-129, runs from Cheifland FL to Knoxville TN
Yea not actually part of it, but considered included in the BlueRidge group of adventure roads.
It doesn't look nearly as interesting as the 1930's version of it did back then The Dragon has been emasculated .
Wow Ray, I knew you were old but I didn't think you were THAT old. :eek:

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed. Was a great drive when we lived in Florida and would make a trip up there. Was enjoying the curve until my wife complained that she was getting sick. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Was enjoying the curve until my wife complained that she was getting sick.

That's what's so nice about a motorcycle - you just "fly" through the turns, Bank like a plane, zooom...

Unless you're on a Harley...

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I eventually changed it for a BMW M3 on the advice of my boss who thought, rightly, the impact safety of the TVR was suspect. I couldn’t get comfortable in the BMW, the seat gave me back ache and the climate control never gave a balance of clear screen, cool face and warm feet I like. The engine (6-cylinder then) was absolutely fantastic though - probably the best BMW engine ever (and half of the one they made for the McLaren F1).

Indeed, Mr. Paul Rosche was a great engineer, if not the greatest during his long career.

Top Bottom