• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

LumbermanSVO

No, I usually leave my cars stock. My Dad never leaves anything stock. I suppose I noticed how much hassle that obsession can be so I'm the reverse.

Between cars, computers, audio, and woodworking, I sometimes wish I taken up a relatively cheap hobby, like knitting.

...whereas over there, a Town car starts in one county and ends in the next...at least that's how it felt. I could get used to that sort of motoring. I was most impressed that even the supermarkets could cope with that.

I Russian friend calls these "Big American Float Boats"

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Between cars, computers, audio, and woodworking, I sometimes wish I taken up a relatively cheap hobby, like knitting.

I Russian friend calls these "Big American Float Boats"

I prefer the term land barge.

A older lady down the street where I grew up purchased a new 1976 Electra 225. I was tasked with driving her around town at times. Hers was just this color with vinyl top and fender skirts. The engine was so far from the front of the car. There was like an 18 inch fan shroud from engine fan to radiator and the radiator sat maybe a foot behind the front fascia. 4600 pounds and about 6 inches short of 20 feet long. Or compared to the best selling vehicle in the USA currently the Ford F150 4 door, just about exactly average sized.

1550557196747.png

OP
W

W2S

I've meant kilometres per hour, not miles.

This is not true. Starting from less than 50 mph M3 already accelerates almost two times faster. There is a huge difference in dynamics between those two cars and you feel it no matter if you are on a highway or on a country lane.

if that's what you believe good luck to you

Erik

if that's what you believe good luck to you
I've had Racelogic data somewhere but I can't find it. As I remember, 100-200 was <10s for M3 and >15s for stock 335d.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure there are rolling start videos on YouTube. They should give you an idea how big the difference is.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do mean 155? as both cars are limited to that

Real difference is from about 100 mph onwards and UK Roads limited to 70mph plus the M3 / M4 costing £25k more like I said 335D is a better package plus l live in Essex so most of my driving is through country lanes
Prefer 4 wheel drive to the noise and itchy bottom of an M car

I think he was referring to kph.
It is pointless having a quick car where I live or 4 wheel drive so simple and reliable is best!
Back when having a quick car was fun round here, 20 + years ago I had a TVR Griffith with a big valve engine. I had always fancied a Porsche 911 so when I came into some money I had a test drive. Compared to the Griffith it felt very slow, simply because it weighed several hundred kilos more and had no more power.
When I told Porsche they said the new turbo comes out soon we’ll lend you one of those. Unfortunately the loan weekend was the British GP weekend so I was working, but I took it and early in the morning the roads were clear. Up to 60mph it was effectively slower than the Griffith, ie you had to spend the whole time in low gear because of lag just in case an overtaking opportunity arose. From 60mph to 160 mph it was mega, but most of that will lose the license, so I still stuck to the small light normally aspirated rocket.
I eventually changed it for a BMW M3 on the advice of my boss who thought, rightly, the impact safety of the TVR was suspect. I couldn’t get comfortable in the BMW, the seat gave me back ache and the climate control never gave a balance of clear screen, cool face and warm feet I like. The engine (6-cylinder then) was absolutely fantastic though - probably the best BMW engine ever (and half of the one they made for the McLaren F1).

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had Racelogic data somewhere but I can't find it. As I remember, 100-200 was <10s for M3 and >15s for stock 335d.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure there are rolling start videos on YouTube. They should give you an idea how big the difference is.
I will always be mystified why straight line acceleration data interests anybody other than drag racers.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I was overseas this was our mode of transportation.:D
image_preview.jpg

There called multi-cab. The enterprising locals buy them out of Japan. They cut them up so they can fit in shipping containers and then the locals buy them and weld them back together and put all kinds of different bodies on them. This is the body we used.
.jpg

The jeepney and lastly, cruising the highways in your boat (7000 or so islands)
.jpg

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh, then theres these all over the place for short rides! Yes I had one of these too!
29-apr-14-trycyle-pedicab-2.jpg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frank, was relaxing this afternoon, trawling through BBC iplayer (yes I can get it here in Oz ;) ) and stumbled across you in the Williams movie.

Excellent stuff, very interesting.
I forgot to watch that when it was on, thanks for the reminder.

OP
W

W2S

If numbers interest you watch the following video for a stock car

From a 30mph rolling start the M3 going to beat the 335D 7 out of 10 times

Under 20mph the 335D will beat the M3 8 out 10 times

From a standing start 10 out 10 for the 335D X Drive

And when it comes to country Roads I'll take the 335D X Drive any day over the M3 specially if theirs bad or rainy weather

I will always be mystified why straight line acceleration data interests anybody other than drag racers.

Well Said that Man :cool:

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Will never understand how anyone can not get excited over a car with mind bending acceleration capabilities.
Must be a European thing, their motorsport interests have always been a bit single minded. ;)
2019-dodge-challenger-vlp-gallery-1.jpg.image.2880.jpg

OP
W

W2S

We like to have well balanced cars that can go around corners and brake well

You guys like to go in straight lines or around ovals :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We like to have well balanced cars that can go around corners and brake well

You guys like to go in straight lines or around ovals :)
NO, we like and do it all in motorsport here. The single mindedness is on the other foot. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Will never understand how anyone can not get excited over a car with mind bending acceleration capabilities

I don't see you excited about the fast Teslas which stomp everything else.

OP
W

W2S

Glad you liked it - a very moving film IMO!

Hi Frank

Did you work with Williams BTC team during the 1999/2000 season?

As the company me and my mates owned at the time were testing plasma technology for large screens with BTC team to display car data

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Frank

Did you work with Williams BTC team during the 1999/2000 season?

As the company me and my mates owned at the time were testing plasma technology for large screens with BTC team to display car data
No, I am a single seater guy through and through at that time I was a consultant to Lola to get their CHAMP car competitive in the USA.

Reactions: W2S
Top Bottom