• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've owned 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 cylinder vehicles, including a few boxers, rotaries and 2-strokes.
A TR-6, an RX-7, and a Supra were all a delight to own and drive, if I stick to "cagers" for this topic.
But none has given me more pleasure than when I chanced upon one of those "There ain't replacement for cubic-inch displacement" cars.
Some call it the poor man's Vette. Others accuse me of being environmentally comatose, and I am probably going to be helping the OIL companies in the amount of gas that it guzzles. No matter!

View attachment 182600 View attachment 182603
This goat is a keepuh!
I bought a new ‘04 M6 and added a Magnuson TVS1900 SC. Loved that car.
1643409965834.jpeg

Sold it for this, which I love a little more, but wish I could have kept both. Another M6.
1643410159330.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
wish I could have kept both.
Since you [errrr.....] sent your goat out to the pasture, have you noticed what has happened to their prices?
Maybe I should not be "getting someone's goat"...;)
After I coerced my mate to dump the BMW camp (she had 3 and oozed love for every one of them), we have added a Cadillac ATS-V (Sport/Coupe w/V6) to our livery. This coupe version is rare and a driver's vehicle but only if it was NOT stuffed to the gills with electronics, and drivers' aids.
The 2nd week we had it, I wanted to see how good it really is and took it for a 'goat-run'. While on the famous I-405 and at speed, I noticed a few times that the seat started vibrating on me, while changing lanes (doing my normal 'hole-shots'). WTF?
Then it happened! As I was attempting to do another hole-shot to the left lane, not only did the seat fart again but the steering brains literally prevented me from steering to the left. That was IT! We got off at the next exit and I have not driven that car ever since.
I am also too averse about vehicular software updates: When we were up in the northern boondocks of Monterey area, we got lost and so did the built-in GPS. Lucky for us, I had my trusted paper CA atlas handy.
Mechanically, the ATS has had zero issues but the software is a whole other story. I hope that I am allowed to stick with 'geezer' sticks and w/minimal invasion of software in my next vehicle.
Not many of those are left in the market. Your new black beast qualifies, but only if it comes in the non-auto version.
I hear that 90% of Subaru WRX/STi owners (mostly the younger crowd) purchased the clutch version. Most other manufacturers are shelving the manual trannies as they account for under 10% car sales...
If vehicles are being relegated for transportation from pointA to pointB, this is acceptable.
But we had learned the opposite: The Journey is 90% of joy of driving. Think of it as the foreplay.
Destination[?], on the other hand, is what you make it but only after you get there!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you [errrr.....] sent your goat out to the pasture, have you noticed what has happened to their prices?
Maybe I should not be "getting someone's goat"...;)
After I coerced my mate to dump the BMW camp (she had 3 and oozed love for every one of them), we have added a Cadillac ATS-V (Sport/Coupe w/V6) to our livery. This coupe version is rare and a driver's vehicle but only if it was NOT stuffed to the gills with electronics, and drivers' aids.
The 2nd week we had it, I wanted to see how good it really is and took it for a 'goat-run'. While on the famous I-405 and at speed, I noticed a few times that the seat started vibrating on me, while changing lanes (doing my normal 'hole-shots'). WTF?
Then it happened! As I was attempting to do another hole-shot to the left lane, not only did the seat fart again but the steering brains literally prevented me from steering to the left. That was IT! We got off at the next exit and I have not driven that car ever since.
I am also too averse about vehicular software updates: When we were up in the northern boondocks of Monterey area, we got lost and so did the built-in GPS. Lucky for us, I had my trusted paper CA atlas handy.
Mechanically, the ATS has had zero issues but the software is a whole other story. I hope that I am allowed to stick with 'geezer' sticks and w/minimal invasion of software in my next vehicle.
Not many of those are left in the market. Your new black beast qualifies, but only if it comes in the non-auto version.
I hear that 90% of Subaru WRX/STi owners (mostly the younger crowd) purchased the clutch version. Most other manufacturers are shelving the manual trannies as they account for under 10% car sales...
If vehicles are being relegated for transportation from pointA to pointB, this is acceptable.
But we had learned the opposite: The Journey is 90% of joy of driving. Think of it as the foreplay.
Destination[?], on the other hand, is what you make it but only after you get there!
I drove some older relatives on a trip in their recent Subaru with Eye-Drive. The adaptive cruise on that works great. It too has warnings (not a vibrating seat), but it will tug you into your lane and such. I don't mind the warnings, and I don't mind the warnings that someone is in your blindspot though in traffic it is annoying. I don't like it tugging you around despite your steering input. It never does it to the extent you can't over-power it.

We came to an old concrete bridge with two way traffic. They were slightly widening and putting better concrete side rails on it. But they had cones and were working on the right side from our view. So you needed to nearly drive your left wheels on the center line for the space available.
So it tugs me a bit past the center line, and then traffic comes the other way and it tugs me the other direction almost causing me to run into the cones (and workers) there. And it starts trying to go back and forth confused. I managed to man-handle it in place until a gap in the traffic let me reach down and hit the button turning it off. That is one good thing a single button just left of the wheel turns it on and off. I was not too happy. I wish it had the ability to have the adaptive cruise without the other nannies, but you get it all or get none.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mind the warnings, and I don't mind the warnings that someone is in your blindspot
IMO: No such thing as a 'blind-spot' for an attentive driver. Such aids only dull the driver w/a sense that the car will take care of the driving, so why even pay attention...
This month's MotorTrend cover story is "The InEVitable - Where are we Going? - And how will we get there without a Steering Wheel?"
Should be fun article when I get around to reading it.:confused:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
keepuh!

This goat is a keepuh!
Pontiac! And a great one. A keepuh for sure.
Stay well away from them foreign SUV puss cases. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO: No such thing as a 'blind-spot' for an attentive driver. Such aids only dull the driver w/a sense that the car will take care of the driving, so why even pay attention...
This month's MotorTrend cover story is "The InEVitable - Where are we Going? - And how will we get there without a Steering Wheel?"
Should be fun article when I get around to reading it.:confused:
I disagree especially in heavy fast traffic like in Atlanta rush hour or similar. It takes a finite amount of time for a driver even an attentive one to check various blind spots and if you have traffic lanes on both sides it simply isn't humanly possible to keep up to date as well as a warning system can show you. Or another example in Atlanta is the Atlanta Nascar race in the draft. Those guys mess up and they have spotters.

I do like some cars that have cameras so they show you the spot you are going when you use a turn signal.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree especially in heavy fast traffic like in Atlanta rush hour or similar. It takes a finite amount of time for a driver even an attentive one to check various blind spots and if you have traffic lanes on both sides it simply isn't humanly possible to keep up to date as well as a warning system can show you.
Pffft. After 2 trips into downtown Seattle coming from Vancouver I fully agree. The traffic was ~5-7 lanes almost bumper to bumper ~70mph in the slow lane and about 85mph in the fast lane and it was relentless. I was driving a Sunfire GT and was having issues keeping up. I finally decided the safe place was in the middle lanes or the fast lanes because in the slow lanes it was impending havok and a danger zone. I watch the USA news often and saw the pile-ups on that road and I was very worried it might happen. To have some sort of assist would have been very helpful and I'm a decent driver.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Swapped this ...

View attachment 182939

... for this ...

View attachment 182942

... last month.

Unfortunately it has summer performance tires, and we're in the middle of a cold New England winter, so it's sitting in the garage until we reach 40F.
DroOL! The black rims on that gorgeous blue look fantastic not to mention the laid back lines and the face on that car. :D

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1643490467942.jpeg

It was post here or a A Call For Humor.... figured there would be more car guys here. :facepalm:

If it wasn't Covid I'd go to Sweden to get V60 Recharge. You see if you pick it up there, when they send here it's used and gets around some duties thus paying for a lot of your trip.

proxy-image

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was post here or a A Call For Humor.
...with slight modifications that one could easily be converted to a true "urban assault vehicle" where inattentive drivers and their smart cars can become a part of an ABX testing.
It takes a finite amount of time for a driver even an attentive one to check various blind spots and if you have traffic lanes on both sides it simply isn't humanly possible to keep up to date...
Pfffft.... apathy even invites overlords to control driving, which used to be considered a pleasure. Driving is not like rocket science, and situational awareness is a proper human endeavor, in any situation. We survived the '70s crappy car dynamics (ahem, even at speed mixed with youthful exhuberance) and survived to disagree here. Please don't take it personal.
Imagine for a second, if you will: In a single lane bridge and a dumb-*ss '67 Camaro on a head-on collision course with a bus-full of children seniors.
Who wins and why? Like a "trolley" dilemma but one driver is sentient and the other is software-driven. :oops: Does the bus differentiate between the occupants, on its next step? Brings up many other questions that I am certain have not been considered to be incorporated into its AI, yet!

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Found a pic of my previous VW scirocco, im a bit of a VW old school fan and always been into mk1/mk2 golfs/sciroccos.

158279395_9af5c06743_o.jpg
[/url]

VW Scirocco 1800cc fully built engine, stock 112bhp vs this engine 172bhp, twin Webber‘s, 4-1 manifold into 2.5” stainless exhaust/uprated engine mounts, quaife diff and modified gear ratios for acceleration with Sachs uprated clutch, bilstein’s all round/eibach anti roll bars/polybushed all round etc, all brakes uprated and a ton of other stuff mostly so it could happily be hooned round a track all day

Current car below, VW Tiguan, very capable and well equipped with all the extras and Dynaudio 11 speaker system but so dull and uninvolving to drive

49774058417_ed22c7da10_o.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
...with slight modifications that one could easily be converted to a true "urban assault vehicle" where inattentive drivers and their smart cars can become a part of an ABX testing.

Pfffft.... apathy even invites overlords to control driving, which used to be considered a pleasure. Driving is not like rocket science, and situational awareness is a proper human endeavor, in any situation. We survived the '70s crappy car dynamics (ahem, even at speed mixed with youthful exhuberance) and survived to disagree here. Please don't take it personal.
Imagine for a second, if you will: In a single lane bridge and a dumb-*ss '67 Camaro on a head-on collision course with a bus-full of children seniors.
Who wins and why? Like a "trolley" dilemma but one driver is sentient and the other is software-driven. :oops: Does the bus differentiate between the occupants, on its next step? Brings up many other questions that I am certain have not been considered to be incorporated into its AI, yet!
Hey, I had a SS 67 Camaro. I avoided all possible collisions by passing everything out there that didn't pass me. My motto was the less minutes on the road the less chance something bad happens.

OTOH, there wasn't the distracted driving there is now. I tell you, my mind changed a few years ago, and I wish, I hope, they get reliable self driving worked out so these inattentative jerks aren't driving. The problem now is half measures that don't work well enough, but make some people think they almost do.

My opinion after much consideration on the trolley dilemma is every person has a right to do what is best for them. And in honesty humans rarely can react fast enough to do anything other than try and avoid the worst crash. Asking for more is bad thinking and bad ethics. There will be a time when AI driven cars can do no better and should go by the same idea of what's best for the passenger of the car.

Times change, conditions change, driving isn't what it was in 1967. For one I now have a Miata and Corvette with no nanny systems (well the Corvette has traction control) to enjoy driving for driving when I can. They stop just almost twice as good as the Camaro. And if some nincompoop blows a red light or stop sign they crash more than twice as good. Those kinds of things your driving and attention are no defense against under some conditions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, I had a SS 67 Camaro. I avoided all possible collisions by passing everything out there that didn't pass me. My motto was the less minutes on the road the less chance something bad happens.
I never had one but a good friend had a candy apple red one with a 350LT1. It squealed gearing up and down with little to no effort and looked amazinggg! Black interior but coulda been white for better effect. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
VW Scirocco
Is the Scirrocco shod with Hankook Ventus V2s?
Those summer ("performance") tires are a secret bargain, for canyon carvers.
What is more secret is that they come with road-hazard warranty.
2 weeks upon a new set, one took a utility pole spike on the sidewall.
Cheeeeeeze to free replacement.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those summer ("performance") tires are a secret bargain, for canyon carvers.
What is more secret is that they come with road-hazard warranty.
2 weeks upon a new set, one took a utility pole spike on the sidewall.
Cheeeeeeze to free replacement.
I rented a garage to a Scirrocco owner and he was talking like 150mph for that car. is that true?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I rented a garage to a Scirrocco owner and he was talking like 150mph for that car. is that true?
You probably can make a Yugo reach terminal velocity, but why would you? Short of bragging rights...
Even a real Scirrocco (the wind) is a 'rear drive' w/o the torque steer that wasn't conquered yet.
There was some talk some years back for a redo and I am glad it did not happen bcuz this car was really a benchmark of sorts, especially for those who'd rather be pulled than pushed. Clean lines to boot in certain years.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Was 15yrs ago so couldn’t say, whatever I fitted was always a trade off between grip,durability,cost in that order, if I managed 3k from a set of tyres on that car whilst enjoying every mile driven on the road then I considered it money well spent, i had a set of toyo semi slicks on track wheels for days out.

Top Bottom