• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your bicycles!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Braking is a fine art, no doubt. It’s good to practice using more front brake, as that provides most stopping power, and it’s a good skill to have in emergencies. Front brake is safest when you’re travelling in a straight line and have your body weight evenly balanced over the bike - you definitely need to be careful using front brake while cornering, or riding over icy/slippy ground (any situation where there is a lateral load, your weight is off centre, or there is so little grip that the front wheel can slip out sideways). But it is important to learn how to use the front brake as much as possible, while avoiding dangerous situations. Apologies if you know all this already!

Yep - downhill at speed in low grip conditions (eg gravel) can be scary. Once your rear wheel is locking and you still need to slow, then front wheel braking becomes essential - and then it is a question of how much you can apply before pain becomes the inevitable result :D

jhenderson0107

Is that the automatic IGH? What gear range (Ratio) are they fitting to that bike?
Drivetrain:
Chain: Gates Carbon Drive CDX 122t belt, black
Cassette: Gates Carbon Drive CDX 22t sprocket, silver
Chainrings: Gates Carbon Drive CDX 50T front sprocket, black
Rear Hub: enviolo Heavy Duty, 380% range, 6-bolt, 10x135mm, 32h

My routes are somewhat hilly so I typically average about 15 mph. I haven't achieved the 28 mph limit on a flat road, but that certainly seems feasible.

jhenderson0107

Braking is a fine art, no doubt. It’s good to practice using more front brake, as that provides most stopping power...
I do know this but I appreciate your guidance. In Dec 2021 I took a spill on my Elliptigo cornering under post-rain damp conditions and I was "black and blue and red all over" (basically a walking scab) for about three months. So I'm still overly cautious regarding speed and cornering.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Drivetrain:
Chain: Gates Carbon Drive CDX 122t belt, black
Cassette: Gates Carbon Drive CDX 22t sprocket, silver
Chainrings: Gates Carbon Drive CDX 50T front sprocket, black
Rear Hub: enviolo Heavy Duty, 380% range, 6-bolt, 10x135mm, 32h

My routes are somewhat hilly so I typically average about 15 mph. I haven't achieved the 28 mph limit on a flat road, but that certainly seems feasible.

Nice, the largest (380%) range. You might be pointing me in the direction of the e-bike I'll get when my knees finally give out. (Hopefully a year or few from now). I'm a big fan of utility bikes (I already have a belt driven bike I bought as a commuter a few years ago) and this specialized one ticks a lot of boxes - for a price. :p

In the UK it will be limited to 15.5 MPH to stop it being classified as a motor vehicle.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it's got a lot of cycling parts, but no pedals, but am having a lot of fun on it.....altho weather hasn't been too cooperative since I got it.
Surron builtup.jpg

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, the largest (380%) range. You might be pointing me in the direction of the e-bike I'll get when my knees finally give out. (Hopefully a year or few from now). I'm a big fan of utility bikes (I already have a belt driven bike I bought as a commuter a few years ago) and this specialized one ticks a lot of boxes - for a price. :p

In the UK it will be limited to 15.5 MPH to stop it being classified as a motor vehicle.
I gave in a couple of years ago. After moving up in the hills with a 900' climb coming home from downtown and most of the climb in two short and painful stretches... painful for this over 60 year old anyway, I bought an e-bike.

I considered one of the performance road bikes, but decided to go the other direction. This thing eats up our poorly maintained pot hole infested roads. I regularly ride it with the motor switched off and just use the motor to help me get up the steepest portions of the hills... it is a blast and this model with aggressive human assistance will crest 30mph on the flats.

Vintage Electric.jpg
Vintage Electric Detail.jpg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave in a couple of years ago. After moving up in the hills with a 900' climb coming home from downtown and most of the climb in two short and painful stretches... painful for this over 60 year old anyway, I bought an e-bike.

I considered one of the performance road bikes, but decided to go the other direction. This thing eats up our poorly maintained pot hole infested roads. I regularly ride it with the motor switched off and just use the motor to help me get up the steepest portions of the hills... it is a blast and this model with aggressive human assistance will crest 30mph on the flats.

View attachment 269383View attachment 269384
Love the wooden trim: very retro.

naagratrax

Hey, since we talking about bike, this is my last ebike with Bosch CX Performance Smart System 2022 since the last one was stolen in Paris and sadly no insurance... (it's horrible btw)

I don't see lot of people using the German brands Winora (with Haidbike) but it's an amazing bike with some upgrades:

▪️New tire Schwalbe Johnny Watt 365
▪️New disk Shimano RT 60 230mn front & 203 rear with 4 Capilers Shimano M6120
◾ Supernova Mini 99
◾ Seatpost Cane Creek

20230304_134023.jpg

20230304_134004.jpg

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Well, it's got a lot of cycling parts, but no pedals, but am having a lot of fun on it.....altho weather hasn't been too cooperative since I got it.
View attachment 269380
Beautiful - I’ve been tempted by a Surron for a long time.….. In the UK it costs the same as a decent carbon enduro bike, which is amazing considering the tech.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Beautiful - I’ve been tempted by a Surron for a long time.….. In the UK it costs the same as a decent carbon enduro bike, which is amazing considering the tech.

Me too, been considering it for quite a while. That Santa Cruz carbon e-mtb behind it cost quite a bit more :) Then again I've only done a few mods.....so far :)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Hey, since we talking about bike, this is my last ebike with Bosch CX Performance Smart System 2022 since the last one was stolen in Paris and sadly no insurance... (it's horrible btw)

Yes, I wonder why in 2023, electric bikes don't come with built-in security. It would not be hard to integrate a security system where you unlock the bike with a smartphone. If the bike is not unlocked, then the bike can lock the wheel and prevent it from spinning or sound an alarm. Of course thieves will still be able to carry it away, but those things are so heavy that it would be difficult.

The last time I was in Paris (2019) I used ride hire bikes, but then I was a tourist.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I wonder why in 2023, electric bikes don't come with built-in security. It would not be hard to integrate a security system where you unlock the bike with a smartphone. If the bike is not unlocked, then the bike can lock the wheel and prevent it from spinning or sound an alarm. Of course thieves will still be able to carry it away, but those things are so heavy that it would be difficult.

The last time I was in Paris (2019) I used ride hire bikes, but then I was a tourist.
Bike security is hard. I recently saw these Litelok locks and some demos about how resistant to an angle grinder they are....expensive but worth it I'd say if you must leave your bike locked up outside of your control (personally I rarely leave a bike unattended....had too many stolen as a kid).

ps There are also some interesting disc brake locks you can employ, and this little alarm seems somewhat popular https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0734QN8KR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. I did add a steering lock to my Surron, and without a key that makes it difficult to roll away with (but if strong enough can pick it up).

Last edited:

Moonhead

Talked to my dealer end og 22 and he Said that Bosch Will be leading the market soon enough with the newer batteries that Will be a totally locked system, where you Will need Your phone to unlock the damn beast!

Top Bottom