• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should we be careful when measuring old speakers? A not-too-faulty (but still faulty) speaker measured

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I should have added "like @andreasmaaan suggested".

No, don't worry :) I'm honestly sorry, I was just a little ruffled by your jumping into the thread and stating you were amazed by the apparent ignorance of all of us who'd looked at the problem prior to you...

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
No, don't worry :) I'm honestly sorry, I was just a little ruffled by your jumping into the thread and stating you were amazed by the apparent ignorance of all of us who'd looked at the problem prior to you...

In my view, all responses to my post were polite and factual.

What was actually wrong with the speaker, we may never know, if the OP came to the conclusion that trying to fix this is not worth it and has discarded the speakers.

OP
W

wwenze

Major Contributor
Look at how differently speakers sum woofer and tweeter response around 10kHz, the bad speakers has higher spl...

I have seen that happen with a dead series capacitor for the tweeter. The lowered uF value resulted in a higher crossover point as well as a higher Q.

Electrical measurement of a good vs bad Monitor Audio BX1 crossover. Original value is 6uF and the dead one measures 0.6 iirc. In my Diamond 8.2's the difference is probably not as drastic, maybe reduced by half?
MHSrnMy.png

I mentioned the crossover measured identical in circuit but that wasn't quite right, since both crossover measured OL uF.
Geez the last time (or rather, every time) I had to cut the leads to measure out of circuit I had to buy new parts in the end since they are always too oxidized to solder back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom