• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I use capacitors for tweeters powered by Hypex Fa123 ?

I am about to connect a pair of satori-tw29txn-b-8 https://solen.ca/products/speakers/...m-textreme-dome-neodymium-tweeter-black-8ohm/

To a pair of Hypex Fa123, for 3way speaker enclosures, and I'm wondering about the pros and cons of using capacitors to protect the tweeters.

I have two capacitors (15uF +- 5%@400V) ready to be connected, but I'm wondering if it's necessary, and in the case where it's not, if it could add distortion.

If it does, I'm thinking I could use them only while I configure the plate amps (DSPs etc) and then remove them.

Any thoughts ?

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know about the failure modes on a class D amp and I think they have various topologies some with dual supplies and some with single supplies. For expensive tweeters I would recommend using blocking capacitors. They won't introduce distortion that you probably would be able to hear. See dualazmak s long series of posts about his Yamaha beryllium based system wherein he uses blocking caps and fuses.
For my be based speakers I used to use one quarter amp fuses and they never blew. As I am setting them up again, I will use two caps and a fuse. One cap of double the calculated value on either side of the voice coil.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not use blocking caps on my tri amp'd home system and I blew a tweeter. It was during power up. I heard a peep sound and bam blown tweet. That was after about 2.5 years of use. I recommend you use proper interconnects to ensure you have good connections. At the price of those tweets you are using it might be best to use blocking caps.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I would keep the capacitors.... Things can "go wrong".

bigjacko

I am wondering can we use electrolyte capacitor for tweeter protecting? How much distortion does capacitor make and at what frequency?

OP
M
Do you need a cap if the tweeter can take more power than the amp can give?

I skipped the cap for my tweeter + fa123.

Great question, that was exactly my thought, then I read stories about how frequencies lower than the tweeter's working range could kill it even with wattage not exceeding the tweeter's capacity.

And then there is the potential for a bug in the amp. There is code running in these amps after all, and as a programmer I know that rarely occuring and intermitent bugs can never be ruled out of existence.

My plan is to add the cap, at least for the configuring process, and if I learn more about it and find out it is overkill, I'll remove them.

But the question that remains (and for which I'm not even sure if there is a definite answer) is: does it (can it) add audible distortion ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the question that remains (and for which I'm not even sure if there is a definite answer) is: does it (can it) add audible distortion ?
Everything in the signal path can possibly add some sort of distortion of the waveform but the question is how much like you asked. In your case a properly selected cap will not add audible distortion. I've used coupling caps for audio signals/DC blocking when connecting high level outputs from car audio head units to RCA connectors and I couldn't hear a difference. There are caps alll over inside circuitry and they don't add audible distortion if properly selected.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've blown a ribbon tweeter before because of a miniDSP device failure and have used caps on them ever since. It didn't affect any measured performance in my system after implementation and nothing audible either. Fortunately I was able to repair the ribbon.

DHT 845

I am wondering can we use electrolyte capacitor for tweeter protecting? How much distortion does capacitor make and at what frequency?
Use MKP or sililar foil cap for tweeter.

headshake

Sounds like the minidsp has more potential to kill a tweeter due to its flexibility. The fa123's tweeter amp has a 500hz limit if I recall. Plus, on the fa123 you can set a voltage limit for the amp if you want that (not a bad idea when first setting things up). So there are some built-in protections/limits.

Be sure to load filters to all of your fusion amp presets. This way you can't accidentally load something that has no eq.

I would think hypex would say "put a cap on it" if it needed it. An ounce of prevention though... but at what cost?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
A cap will still let a DC transient get through till its charged up. A lower value cap will make this a briefer occurrence.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to do when am designing, but usually remove after.

I always buy at least one spare driver anyway.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like the minidsp has more potential to kill a tweeter due to its flexibility

Or poor design. Occasionally when switching configurations I would get a blast of white noise/distortion at full volume through all drivers. This behavior occurred on 2 separate boards purchased 8 years apart. I learned the hard way to turn off amps when switching configs. I no longer use the 4x10 at all.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no audible downside to using a capacitor, but you will need to do all your measuring and simulation with the cap in place. That's a very expensive tweeter and it would be a shame if you fried it.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong between your source and your tweeter, and it doesn't take much to damage something. Cheap insurance.

mga2009

Can anyone show a picture of how the CAP is connected to the tweeter.

Along the + connector? Between the + and - on the tweeter?

Chris M

https://www.hypex.nl/product/fusionamp-fa123/154

From the overview and the other PDF documents, you can see which security technologies are used to protect the loudspeakers and the amplifier Hypex.

I operated the Fa 123 in a 3-way system and in the high pressure range with Eton Er4. I never had technical problems in terms of distortion, background noise, power-on noise. It goes without saying that it is important to ensure that the high-pass filter that limits the lower range is adequately dimensioned and correctly transferred to the plate amps, especially in the high-frequency range. The soft clipping function, which intervenes sensitively and at the right time, offers additional protection.

With this in mind, I have rejected the use of any passive components within this concept.
I proceeded in such a way that I initially followed the Hypex instructions or specifications and, if in doubt, looked in the relevant forums. Nevertheless, Hypex's specifications have always been decisive for me.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes. Use capacitors. There is absolutely no good reason not to. An amplifier failure on a direct connected tweeter will vaporize the VC faster than any protection or so-called shutdown.

Last edited:
Top Bottom