• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I upgrade DAC?

What does it make sense to spend money on?

• Topping E30

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Save money for a higher-level DAC (like Modi Multibit)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Save money for a headphones (I wanna try Hifiman Sundara)

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

Sensetrigger

Sup guys. I'm planning to buy a Topping L30 amp.

My current DAC is Realtek ALC1220 with ESS Sabre ES9023P, headphones - Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT250 (250ohms version).

7_big.jpg

Could you tell me, does it make sense for me to buy a Topping E30 (or other DAC in a similar price category), if my current one works fine and gives a clean signal?

it's more like a diminishing returns question, honestly.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If this is your device, you certainly won't have any audible problems with noise or distortion.

I can't find a spec for its max. output power. Is it capable of driving your headphones to satisfying levels without strain?

If not, I'd consider an external headphone amp (but no point buying a new DAC).

OP
S

Sensetrigger

If this is your device, you certainly won't have any audible problems with noise or distortion.

I can't find a spec for its max. output power. Is it capable of driving your headphones to satisfying levels without strain?

If not, I'd consider an external headphone amp (but no point buying a new DAC).
My motherboard is Asus Crosshair VIII Impact.
ROG SupremeFX8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality120dBSNR stereo playback outputand113dBSNR recording input
- SupremeFX Shielding Technology
- ESS® ES9023P
- Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback
For me, comfortable volume in the 50-60 range for the Sennheiser HD650. I don't hear any distortion or noise even at higher volume levels.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My motherboard is Asus Crosshair VIII Impact. For me, comfortable volume in the 50-60 range for the Sennheiser HD650. I don't hear any distortion or noise even at higher volume levels.

I realise your motherboard is different, but my understanding is that both use the same ALC1220. I.e. wouldn't expect there to be any significant difference in audio performance.

Anyway, given that, and given that you don't hear any distortion or signs of strain at your max. listening level, I'd say no need to upgrade anything :)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sup guys. I'm planning to buy a Topping L30 amp.
My current DAC is Realtek ALC1220 with ESS Sabre ES9023P, headphones - Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT250 (250ohms version).
Could you tell me, does it make sense for me to buy a Topping E30 (or other DAC in a similar price category), if my current one works fine and gives a clean signal? It's more like a diminishing returns question, honestly.
More correctly, your motherboard uses the Realtek ALC1200 audio processor and for a DAC, the ES9023P DAC chip.
(the ALC1200 does come with a built in DAC function, but the ES9023P is doing the DAC function (better sound that way)).
The 300-Ohm HD650 is considered to improve with good voltage, so getting an external headphone amplifier starts to make sense.
Set the onboard audio to 2-channel and "Speaker" out (not headphone out), to feed the best signal to the external headphone amplifier.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More correctly, your motherboard uses the Realtek ALC1200 audio processor and for a DAC, the ES9023P DAC chip.
(the ALC1200 does come with a built in DAC function, but the ES9023P is doing the DAC function (better sound that way)).
The 300-Ohm HD650 is considered to improve with good voltage, so getting an external headphone amplifier starts to make sense.
Set the onboard audio to 2-channel and "Speaker" out (not headphone out), to feed the best signal to the external headphone amplifier.

According to the OP, it's ALC1220, which is a step up from ALC1200 and IIUC offers double the output voltage, too.

3125b

Major Contributor
The mainboards DAC ist good enough, about 90dB SINAD, on my board I have measured 1.8Vrms output level unloaded, so the voltage is decent too. The high output impedance of 80ohms just doesn't enable it to provide decent current to drive many less sensitive headphones.
The L30 however will, and therefor new headphones would be the most sensible thing for you to get in addition to that.

Top Bottom