• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 vs. CSS Audio 1TDX with Superior Upgrades; Speaker Recommendations

Which should I get?

• Revel M16

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • CSS Audio 1TDX with Superior Upgrades

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TITLEplayer

Hey folks,

I'm beginning to plan out my audio equipment for my small room. My audiophile experience so far has been with Koss KSC75, Sennheiser HD6XX modded, and Focal Clear (Non-mg). I've been looking for a good speaker set that won't require subwoofers.

I'm currently getting a Topping E70 Velvet and PA 7 Plus. At first, I was thinking of saving up and getting the Musician Knight 1. But I've also been aware of Revel M16 and DIY speakers such as CSS and GR Research.

Knight 1 seems too expensive for me. I'm current leaning towards building CSS Audio 1TDX with the superior upgrades or buying Revel M16 and getting small subwoofers in the future for it.

So my primary question is, which is better? Revel M16 (without subwoofers for now) or CSS Audio 1TDX with Superior upgrades? I think 1TDX with its upgrades is my max budget.

OP
T

TITLEplayer

What’s your budget?
I'm willing to go up to like $1500 USD for a pair of speakers. Needs to be compatible with Topping PA7 Plus and I prefer something that also has a locatable and tight bass, so I don't have to buy subwoofers.

I've seen Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX recommended on your list, but Amir hasn't reviewed it?

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Spin is provided by the manufacturer.
1704091407968.jpeg

From

Measured using Klippel NFS, just like Amir or Erin have.

OP
T

TITLEplayer

My room is 185in x 140in. And I may have to play stuff at low volume during nighttime to not disturb others.

Is Sierra-LX Pair a good fit then? I'm not sure about the include NFS measurements option. Is that an upgrade? Prices goes up to $2,048.00 with that included. Can't find much information on these speakers on YouTube.

Do you know what kind of plugs these take in? I only have experience with banana plugs.

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
How could measurements be an upgrade? I certainly wouldn't pay for them. We already know Ascend makes great speakers and they are probably your best choice especially with your started desire for low frequency capability.

OP
T

TITLEplayer

How could measurements be an upgrade? I certainly wouldn't pay for them. We already know Ascend makes great speakers and they are probably your best choice especially with your started desire for low frequency capability.

Oh, so it's just a report? Yeah, I don't need that. The $250 and $500 price confused me. I'm not familiar with Kippel NFS.

OP
T

TITLEplayer

Spin is provided by the manufacturer.
View attachment 338718

From

Measured using Klippel NFS, just like Amir or Erin have.

So Topping PA7 Plus should be able to drive Sierra LX?

PA7 Plus apparently does 300W and Sierra LX handles 350W at maximum. But I know nothing about voltage, ohms, impedance, and stuff.

D

Deleted member 21219

But I know nothing about voltage, ohms, impedance, and stuff.

Ohm's Law:

1704167613073.png

resistance vs. impedance:

Reactance, inductive and capacitative:

There's a boatload of good information in those links. :)

Jim

OP
T

TITLEplayer

Ohm's Law:

View attachment 338936

resistance vs. impedance:

Reactance, inductive and capacitative:

There's a boatload of good information in those links. :)

Jim

Haha, I didn't do well in physics. Thank you for being informative.

Do you know if Topping PA7 Plus pairs well with Sierra LX?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Input:

Anechoic Sensitivity: 81.6db (source)
In-Room Sensitivity: 87dB (source)
Ohms: 8 (source)
Power at 8 ohms (for Topping PA7 Plus): 107 watts (source) (power versus distortion @ 8 ohms both channels driven)

Using (source)
1704175724217.png

Results:
1704175729792.png

You'll get 96.1db SPL Peaks at this 9ft distance.
So if you're listening at 76.1dB on average, you'll have 20dB of dynamic range, or headroom.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll get 96.1db SPL Peaks at this 9ft distance.
So if you're listening at 76.1dB on average, you'll have 20dB of dynamic range, or headroom
If you live in a field ;) in-room, you should add several dBs, you’ll probably realistically end up above 100.

OP
T

TITLEplayer

Thank you, Sweet Chaos, that's such a helpful resource. Apparently, Topping E70 Velvet could randomly max out volume.

Is there a good, balanced XLR volume controller that you guys recommend?

OP
T

TITLEplayer

That sounds like a bug.
Did you buy it less than a year ago? Perhaps a warranty claim is needed.

No, I should be getting it this week, but I don't have a speaker to test it with.

I was reading https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-e70-randomly-went-to-max-volume.42422.

It seems like Axiom II Passive Preamp with Caddock is what I would need to control the volume

But I don't know what to fill in the fields for Speaker Efficiency, Power Amp Input Impudence, and Power Amp Input sensitivity.

Top Bottom