• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should HiFi be much less expensive nowadays, because of technology and obsolescence?

BillG

Major Contributor
It has gotten less expensive. However, it requires a savvy consumer to see through all the marketing games, and obtain high fidelity equipment for less than these boutique brands sell their wares for.

Here are two systems I've put together for less than $1,000USD - I've excluded vinyl sources; I've no need for them, and their noise and distortion profiles are too high anyway:

Speakers: Infinity Reference 162

These have been independently performance analysed and were found to be top notch. Some even refer to them as "Baby Revel's" They're routinely on sale at a 50% or more discount (RRP $450USD/Sale $225).

https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+162.html

Subwoofer: Infinity Reference RSUB10

Another top notch performer from the series. It's regularly on sale at a 50% or more discount (RRP $400USD/Sale $200).

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/ho...var_REFERENCE SUB R10_color=Black-USA-Current

Amplifier - integrated w/on-board streamer: Yamaha WXA-50

Again independently performance analysed and found to a very competent device. While not SOTA in terms of measurements, it certainly won't embarrass. (RRP $500USD).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxa-50_u/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So, a Yamaha-Infinity system, based on the sale prices of the speakers and subwoofer: $225 + $200 + $500 = $925

I can reduce that price by $300USD if I substitute a Klipsch PowerGate integrated amp for the Yamaha WXA-50. However, it's internal DAC has been found has been found to be subpar when analysed independently. It's amplifier section is quite good, though, as is its preamp section. So, if one can bypass the DAC by using analog input instead, they're good to go. And, if not, the average consumer may not notice the DAC deficiencies anyway. RRP $200.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Powergate-Amplified-Wireless-Gateway/dp/B01N0A7PH5

A Klipsch-Infinity system, based on the sale prices of the speakers and subwoofer: $225 + $200 + $200 = $625

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The cistern contains the bass unit for the downward facing bass horn.
With the "eyes" due to the figured veneer I chose they look like sentinels standing in the corners

They are very unique creations for sure. I'd love to hear them in full swing. Got any techno ? ;-)

Wombat

Master Contributor
I may just have to come out of my self imposed exile in order to post in this thread... :)

Is lock-down so lonely? ;)

Hell, you've been missed. Voice of experience and reason with no vested interest. :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes but who today has not a smartphone?

I recently relaced my 9 Y.O. Samsung Galaxy S2 with a Samsung Galaxy A50. The old S2 OS was not up to using the phone as a remote control on Chromecast Audio. The old phone is much better on audio clarity of voice call - both ends from feedback from those called. Smart doesn't necessarily mean competent.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have a picture also?
No.
I did do a string of photos of its last rebuild though.
I'll post them if I find them, they should be on my. main computer but I only fire that up from time to time nowadays.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The topic - this is not a new question! At least from late '70s we have had reasonable hifi audible quality with modearate budget, and now from 21'st century with very low budget! Loudspeakers is a bit different, small and cheap just can't deliver good sound fullrange 30-15 000Hz!

High end "quality" is debatable and I don't buy it. First - not affording and second - no perceived gain

I'am not shure if the things with that 15khz are not a over simplification of what in a speaker realy happens when it is confronted to a transient.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
No.
I did do a string of photos of its last rebuild though.
I'll post them if I find them, they should be on my. main computer but I only fire that up from time to time nowadays.

Would be cool to see! The speakers look just phantastic!

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'am not shure if the things with that 15khz are not a over simplification of what in a speaker realy happens when it is confronted to a transient.
15kHz is usually plenty.
Transients require P-O-W-E-R not frequency response.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes but who today has not a smartphone?
Or a smart tv - what one isn't in the last 10 years? My son saw me experimenting with different streamers (built-in, tablet, phone) and looking at a chromecast audio on EBay. He laughed at the whole enterprise and asked, why dont you take the lousy tv (a 2 year old 24") from the closet? It's got apps and cast and you can plug it directly in to the optical. And then everyone can see what's playing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently relaced my 9 Y.O. Samsung Galaxy S2 with a Samsung Galaxy A50. The old S2 OS was not up to using the phone as a remote control on Chromecast Audio. The old phone is much better on audio clarity of voice call - both ends from feedback from those called. Smart doesn't necessarily mean competent.

Im coming round to the idea of not needing (or wanting) the newest iterations of phones and maybe holding onto one until it no longer serves my requirements. Pixel 3 is about perfect - great camera- perfect hand size, good screen, keeps getting regular security updates. No longer care about minor tech improvements, voice/ face recognition etc. No need for a Pixel 4.

BUT- at around 18 month old the battery is starting to suffer. Multiple top ups per day- driving home on <20% isnt an option for safety and music playing purposes. I think that is the biggest challenge for the phone manufacturers to overcome- battery/ efficiency. Get me 10 hours of constant use guaranteed 12 months and on after purchase and I reckon I could keep for 3-5 years.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
My wife.
Tried one, rarely remembered it, frequently lost it, never remembered it needed charging, threw it away (literally)

Yes my mother has also has not a smartphone. But you have to compare young people with young people.And who of a16year old has not a smartphone?While i had a technics receiver and a dual recordplayer as a source. And hell this was not cheap, had a lot of cars to clean. ;)
15kHz is usually plenty.
Transients require P-O-W-E-R not frequency response.

Yes thats where i have a lot of problems of real underständing.
Thats why i opend up this thread.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/tweeters-impulse-response-transients.13611/

But at the moment there is no input that realy satifies me. To follow a stepy signal you need speed and speed translates to FR.

That shi** looks not easy for me.

Out there in the hifi world is a lot of blabla.

Last edited:
Top Bottom