• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should HiFi be much less expensive nowadays, because of technology and obsolescence?

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd even argue it's available for $150, let alone $1000. What's the price of the Behringer A800? It's £155 here with our 20% sales tax.

As much power any anyone sane is ever likely to need.

S.
Agreed. I was thinking hypex and purifi but the A800 and Crown 1002 are just fine for a lot of power. And Yamaha makes amps at all price ranges in between that are more than solid compared to what we used to have to pay. 25 and 40w could just be anemic back then.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's probably an innuendo lurking in there somewhere :D

It's all relative I think... if I remember well, Frank's main speakers are the illegitimate children of Piet Mondrian and Le Corbusier. :cool:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's all relative I think... if I remember well, Frank's main speakers are the illegitimate children of Piet Mondrian and Le Corbusier. :cool:
I need to see them

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I was just reflecting on my HiFi and some of the modern exasperations and it occurred to me that HiFi kit could and should be much less relatively expensive than it has ever been and, indeed, needs to be.

Isn't it less expensive and better, at least in the digital realm?

My RME ADI-2 Pro has capabilities and features that probably would have cost >$10K 10 years ago....

Last edited:
OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't it less expensive and better, at least in the digital realm?

My RME ADI-2 Pro has capabilities and features that probably would have cost >$10K 10 years ago....
Well it should be and a lot is in reality but there is increasingly expensive stuff being hawked.

Where it is really good performance for little money is the headphone and sitting at a computer with near field monitors area, which are the least difficult but equally massively improved in performance and reduced in price.
A good thing but as one should expect I think.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to see them
DSC01456.jpg

Juhazi

Major Contributor
The topic - this is not a new question! At least from late '70s we have had reasonable hifi audible quality with modearate budget, and now from 21'st century with very low budget! Loudspeakers is a bit different, small and cheap just can't deliver good sound fullrange 30-15 000Hz!

High end "quality" is debatable and I don't buy it. First - not affording and second - no perceived gain

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well it should be and a lot is in reality but there is increasingly expensive stuff being hawked.

Where it is really good performance for little money is the headphone and sitting at a computer with near field monitors area, which are the least difficult but equally massively improved in performance and reduced in price.
A good thing but as one should expect I think.

Expensive stuff is being hawked because a good chunk the affluent, older 2 channels buyers are those who grew up in a pre-computer era when having a big ass 2 channel stereo was cool and was a common male hobby.

Then there is the intermediate period where the buyers are those who grew up in the heyday of home theater / surround sound. The gear might not be as individually expensive as some 2 channel gear, but there is a lot of stuff to buy -- multi speakers, subs, etc.

The good price / performance area, that you note, is in the personal space -- headphones, desktop DACs, and other "small scale" audio that younger buyers prefer.

I think the expense that you're perceiving is at the low volume end of the market, at which point one loses economies of scale.

I'll be curious to see what happens to the 2 channel high end industry when most of their current customers are deceased some decades from now.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The topic - this is not a new question! At least from late '70s we have had reasonable hifi audible quality with modearate budget, and now from 21'st century with very low budget! Loudspeakers is a bit different, small and cheap just can't deliver good sound fullrange 30-15 000Hz!

High end "quality" is debatable and I don't by it. First - not affording and second - no perceived gain

Yeah, I'm in the 'nothing new to see here'.

The only thing that has changed what the public wants / where the high volume / high value sector lies (2 channel vs home theater vs headphones).

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's easier to have a piece of kit stay 'current' for 25 years if it's already using old tech. ;)

Full disclosure: my turntable is a mid-1980s Michell Gyro SE (I'm not the original owner).
These are fairly new for me, I thought they may replace the ones I have had for 25 years now but, like the modern DSP ones, they don't. I probably shouldn't have bought them.
I could say that about a lot.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I would argue that hifi is cheaper and better than ever. As an example, if I have an iPhone or pad plus a pair of Vanatoo T1E, I have a system for under $1000 that is better than 95% of systems available 20 years ago at the same dollar level (even without correction for inflation). Or a Scarlett 2i2 and a pair of Kalis. Or....

Battery(replacement hassles and charging requirement), software and other redundancies. Ok if one wishes to keep spending on updating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom