• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

kh120a or kh120 MK II if not using ma1

kharma44

Hello guys,

I am a musician, self producing and releasing my songs on Spotify.

I am generally only mixing/mastering my own songs, folk indie songs.

I plan on updating my old m-audio sp-5b monitors + sp-8s sub with either kh120 (a or II) or 8030c/8330. I will keep that sub for now.

My relatively small room is fairly well treated and I don't have big issues in the low end. Measured either on REW or Sonarworks ; ain't perfect, but nothing more than 5 dbs peaks or valley and that's with my current cheap monitors.

I don't plan on using the monitors room correction, mainly because of the expensive microphone kits that need to be bought for that.

So my question essentially is :

Is it still worth it to buy the kh120 II for 1300 $ CAD each if I can have the kh120a for 825$ CAD and I don't plan to use the on board DSP room correction anyway?

(If I decide to go the room correction road, I'll grab a pair of Adam's a7v witch means no extra cost other than the monitors.)

thanks!

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How long do you want to use this speaker?

I personally prefer the Neumanns over Genelec and for sure over Adam in this price range. KH120ii sounds better as KH120 - even without calibration. Better low end, better mid resolution and better long term listening. And really good imaging. Digital input.
Like the old rule says - get the best monitors you can buy with some stretch. These speakers will last many years.

MA1 - try to borrow a mic or buy so that you can send back if you think the result is not worth the money. I bet a 6-pack you don't send it back :cool:

mj30250

The 120 II has more powerful amplification (the same as the 150), an updated waveguide, a new woofer, and extends lower than the older 120. I can't spend your money, so whether that's all worth the additional expense is your call.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can get the 120ii’s in Canada for $CAD1066 + HST. PM me for info (no affiliation btw)

OP
K

kharma44

Thanks guys!

So far the consensus seems to be that it's entirely worth it to get the mk II version.

OP
K

kharma44

For information and to reply to IamJF, I plan on keeping them for as long as they last! Unless I upgrade my room, I don't foresee changing them before they stop working. I've had the sp-5b for more than 20 years!

Exaybachay

I liked the original KH 120 better. To me and in my room they sounded more spacious and just nicer. Whyever that was. Now I use Genelecs.

OP
K

kharma44

Finally, I have a really good deal on the Genelec 8030c, so I plan to go with these, I can't really justify the extra for the kh120 II.

Top Bottom