• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Short RCA Interconnects

bhigh

Since my DAC and amp are stacked on each other on my desk, there's not much need for long interconnects.

Does anyone know of a place to get reasonably priced interconnects that won't leave a mess of cable hanging off the back?

The shortest I've found are the Schiit PYST cables at 6", but they're $20 a pair and I'm not inclined to give them my money.

Amazon and other sources have a number of 12" interconnects ranging from $5 to $20+.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I've used Amazon Basics and Mediabridge cables. The latter generally seem to have better construction quality. There's always Monoprice... Blue Jeans Cable may make custom lengths (do not remember off-hand). Another source might be Sweetwater Sound or other pro sound places as they typically have all sorts of patch cables in stock. At Sweetwater ProCo is usually my choice, though they have Mogami and others. I stay away from Hosa as I have had too many reliability problems and issues with cheap connectors, and from Monster Cable just because.

You could also build your own from RG6 coax and RCA connectors.

HTH - Don

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The shortest I've found are the Schiit PYST cables at 6", but they're $20 a pair and I'm not inclined to give them my money.
Those are the interconnects my son bought which after a few use, failed due to poor soldering and lack of cable relief. So don't buy those for sure.

OP
bhigh

bhigh

Those are the interconnects my son bought which after a few use, failed due to poor soldering and lack of cable relief. So don't buy those for sure.
You really are not a fan of Schiit...

Maybe I'll just buy some connectors and cable to make my own. It looks like the cost is about $15 to make 4 x 6" cables and connectors.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Make your own- then you know the terminations are 100% positive.

Go crazy if you want, cover them in Tech Flex, heatshrinks, wooden blocks and directional arrows. Don't forget some batteries and a dielectric bias system ;)

Seriously, I use quality Amphenol connectors- beautifully finished, don't cost a fortune, look great, don't corrode, Goldilocks fit (not too tight, not too loose), will take a decent cable, and have a nice rubberised colour coded boot. Canare cable or for digital, RG-6 as Don says.

These:

amphenol.JPG

Guermantes

Seriously, I use quality Amphenol connectors- beautifully finished, don't cost a fortune, look great, don't corrode, Goldilocks fit (not too tight, not too loose), will take a decent cable, and have a nice rubberised colour coded boot. Canare cable or for digital, RG-6 as Don says.

The Amphenols are nice and reasonably slim with good strain relief, but I find they are bit long for very short cables. That seems to be the trade-off, however: great strain relief means longer connectors and vice versa.

Here are shorter connectors but likely poorer strain relief:
https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/43-025_REAN-NYS352BG-RCA-PHONO-PLUG-Black-shell-gold-contacts

The Amphenols can come with coloured housings as well:
https://www.parts-express.com/amphe...ca-connector-red-with-gold-contacts--092-0136

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Amphenols can come with coloured housings as well:

I bought some all red and all white, but they were a bit much visually- added too much 'glare' to the sound... kidding. ;)

I also love the history of American Phenolic Corp. Real engineering. No BS.

from wiki "Amphenol was founded in Chicago in 1932 by entrepreneur Arthur J. Schmitt, whose first product was a tube socket for radio tubes (valveholder bases). Amphenol expanded significantly during World War II, when the company became the primary manufacturer of connectors used in military hardware, including airplanes and radios."

"Amphenol engineers also invented the commonly used BNC connector ("Bayonet Neill-Concelman")" I must be a geek, I think the BNC connector is the best connector- it's just a gorgeous piece of precision machining.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
With the Blue Jeans Cable, LC-1 the minimum length is 1 foot at $15. Each additional foot is $1.50. While at such short lengths it won't matter, for long cables this is one of the best cables available.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
U-Turn: if these interconnects are making a U-Turn you need some length so as not to stress the connections of the cables and components.
Stress = Breakage/Failure.

iridium.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
U-Turn: if these interconnects are making a U-Turn you need some length so as not to stress the connections of the cables and components.
Stress = Breakage/Failure.iridium.
Not only that, but causing the electrons to be forced around tight turns makes the sound constrained and blurred. The centrifugal forces induced pushes the notes to the outside of the turn causing collisions and damage to the complete reproduction of PRAT :)

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not only that, but causing the electrons to be forced around tight turns makes the sound constrained and blurred. The centrifugal forces induced pushes the notes to the outside of the turn causing collisions and damage to the complete reproduction of PRAT :)

Just like
World of Outlaws Sprint Cars

iridium.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just like
World of Outlaws Sprint Cars

iridium.
Love the WoO sprint and late model racing, the best there is in 4 wheel dirt tracking.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
"Amphenol engineers also invented the commonly used BNC connector ("Bayonet Neill-Concelman")" I must be a geek, I think the BNC connector is the best connector- it's just a gorgeous piece of precision machining.
50 ohm BNC connectors were great until 75 ohm connectors came along. Then the problems began. It would not have taken a lot of engineering effort to make the two connectors not interchangeable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not a fan of any of the modern flippity floppity connectors starting with the ole RJ11 phone jack thru RJ45 Ethernet and HDMI. Only a matter of time before the connections get noisy or intermittent.

Top Bottom