• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shootout between JBL M2 and Revel Salon 2

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Two will usually work if you have flexibility in placement. Read Toole's book, Olive's paper, or the Welti paper on the Harman site (I usually suggest starting with the latter). I have four, and for most rooms IMO that is about the point of diminishing returns, but two is plenty for many (perhaps most) rooms while four may not be enough for really challenging rooms. One of the papers suggests three IIRC.

Given the wavelengths involved where the driver(s) point doesn't matter a whole lot.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM - Don (not a speaker designer)

Thanks, I'll check those out.

As for placement, I'm pretty much limited to the wall and corners behind the speakers, as there are either openings or obstructions (fireplace, sliding glass doors) elsewhere.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Congratulations and it’s great that your deal worked out well. There’s a pair of 708P’s on EBay atm. The seller is in NYC and has a Steep restocking policy. I wasn’t comfortable with dealing with them and opted to purchase from an authorized dealer.

Also, there’s a pair of M2’s with I-tech amps on sale for C$5600. Seems too good to be true. I contacted the seller and he replied immediately but failed to answer any of my questions. Here’s the link if anyone is interested. - but buyer beware...

http://stereotrading.com/ads/jbls-m2-master-reference-monitor-crown-i-tech-5000hd/
Priced each? Google JBL M2 and they are all over the internet at that pricing, with free shipping.

Jaimo

It looks like the price was for a pair of M2’s and the iTech amplifier. I contacted the seller but he stopped corresponding after his initial message. It does sound too good to be true.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It looks like the price was for a pair of M2’s and the iTech amplifier. I contacted the seller but he stopped corresponding after his initial message. It does sound too good to be true.
It's called "bait and switch". ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Have you heard them?
No, I haven't had the pleasure. Maybe A.J., the Suncoast Audio guys, etc; can get JBL to bring a pair to next years show. A.J. told me preliminary discussions are already underway for a greatly expanded show for next year! yippie.
I guess there's a lot of disposable income in the Tampa area. ;)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I haven't had the pleasure. Maybe A.J., the Suncoast Audio guys, etc; can get JBL to bring a pair to next years show. A.J. told me preliminary discussions are already underway for a greatly expanded show for next year! yippie.
I guess there's a lot of disposable income in the Tampa area. ;)
I could be wrong but I think we’re neighbors and I obviously own them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys in sunny Florida, I'm jealous. (OK, Houston isn't a freezer either.)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You guys in sunny Florida, I'm jealous. (OK, Houston isn't a freezer either.)

I lived in The Woodlands for two years.

One of them included an ice storm.

The last "snow" here was 1977

1553128765441.png

They told eveyone to stay home on TV and Radio since by 6am the Police/Sheriff/State Patrol were already completely occupied by accidents on the Interstate bridges.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I lived in The Woodlands for two years.
One of them included an ice storm.
The last "snow" here was 1977
They told eveyone to stay home on TV and Radio since by 6am the Police/Sheriff/State Patrol were already completely occupied by accidents on the Interstate bridges.

I never go to the Woodlands, it's too far away. I remember that ice storm. It was awful. The Woodlands is hot stuff now because Exxon moved up there.

73hadd

Forum Donor

localhost127

My guess is that it could be about reflections - directional horn vs cone n dome. More reflections from the Salons, I assume?

how exactly does a cone n dome create "more reflections" vs that of a directional horn. spectral content of the reflection can differ absolutely (based on polar response of louspeaker) - but what mechanism is inducing additional reflections? how does that concept work exactly?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how exactly does a cone n dome create "more reflections" vs that of a directional horn
There is a clue in your question. The cones and domes have a much wider dispersion, so more sound hits the walls.

localhost127

There is a clue in your question. The cones and domes have a much wider dispersion, so more sound hits the walls.

i'm sorry - i fail understand how modification of the spectral content of an off-axis reflection from one loudspeaker to another (due to a polar response yielding wider dispersion) is an indication that "more reflections" have been created. what is the mechanism here that is creating more physical, indirect sparse/specular reflections?

Top Bottom