• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shedding the Excess: Digital Output Streaming to Active DSP Monitors

Brycycle

Hi All -

Happy to have formally joined the forum!

I'm making a pretty categoric change in my system from:

• Tube preamp and DAC (Doge 8/7 respectively)
  • Class D power
  • Analogue speakers
To:

• Digital streamer w digital out (Eversolo)
  • Active monitors w DSP (Neuman KH 120II or 150)

I'm green on fully digital and hoping to build as efficient a system as possible without excess features if not required (DAC, preamp, etc.).

I'm between the Eversolo A-6 Master and A-8, but unsure whether the improved DAC and pre-amp on the A-8 would factor in here or simply be by-passed it the speakers are doing the conversion and providing the power?

Much appreciated, excited for your expertise.

Bryce

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm between the Eversolo A-6 Master and A-8, but unsure whether the improved DAC and pre-amp on the A-8 would factor in here or simply be by-passed it the speakers are doing the conversion and providing the power?
They will be bypassed.

In fact, the much less expensive WiiM Pro would be just as good if all you need is bit-perfect streaming output.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ppataki

Major Contributor
I would recommend this DDC:

(there is no DAC chip in there, the product title is misleading, it is only a DDC - exactly what you would need for a pro audio monitor with an SPDIF input)

OP
B

Brycycle

You could even look at AES67 as an option too.
Would you mind expanding on how one would configre wireless streaming via AES67? I do see the Neumann come in a AES67 designation version of the KH 150.

OP
B

Brycycle

Thanks for the confirmation, Kal - I was coming to that conclusion but thought I might have missed something.

OP
B

Brycycle

A curveball; my partner wants to keep the turntable...any recommendations for the cleanest integration? Ideally going with digital compatible phono stage to avoid analog interconnection. This begs the question - given the Neumann's appear to have only one digital input, how might one integrate multiple (streamer and phono stage) sources? Thanks-

staticV3

Master Contributor
Or you could wait for the upcoming WiiM Ultra, which supposedly comes with a built-in Phono pre for a more streamlined setup, plus a display for showing album art etc.

OP
B

Brycycle

Ah - that would be ideal! Neumann's arrive in 1-2 weeks, I'll keep my fingers crossed WiiM beats expectations with the release date ;).

Top Bottom