• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Downsides to using common PS for multiple components

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm considering a revamp of my desktop system that would require two miniDSP processors on hand, that both take 12V power:
1) A Studio SHD to provide bass management and Dirac Live (with sitting/standing presets), as well as digital output to the monitors (KH 120 II) and subs
2) A 2x4HD as DAC and EQ for subwoofers

Is there any reason, assuming a 12V PS has enough capability (miniDSP claims the Studio SHD needs 10W and the 2x4HD needs 2.5W) NOT to run them on the same processor with a splitter like this:

I would like not to have the additional wall-wart in the cable management basket under my desk.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm considering a revamp of my desktop system that would require two miniDSP processors on hand, that both take 12V power:
1) A Studio SHD to provide bass management and Dirac Live (with sitting/standing presets), as well as digital output to the monitors (KH 120 II) and subs
2) A 2x4HD as DAC and EQ for subwoofers

Is there any reason, assuming a 12V PS has enough capability (miniDSP claims the Studio SHD needs 10W and the 2x4HD needs 2.5W) NOT to run them on the same processor with a splitter like this:

I would like not to have the additional wall-wart in the cable management basket under my desk.
There is nothing wrong with that at all! Technically all that means is both are being powered by the same transformer secondary winding. They have their own internal regulators so are pretty immune to anything the other does.

Top Bottom