• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 to stream + dirac or is there a better way?

Malcesine

Looking for most efficient but high quality way to....

a) move to native Qobuz high res streaming from my current squeezebox touch
b) Dirac or similar room correction to correct a couple of bass issues in my room. I don't want to correct anything above 200Hz.

Current system = SBT -- EE Minimax DAC --- VTL Preamp -- VTL Power Amp -- Martin Logan Speakers

Ideally would keep as much of current system as possible except the SqueezeBox Touch (this has to go!)

Perfect situation would be streamer with Dirac and digital outputs - but if not my EE DAC can go also.

The NAD C658 is closest option I've seen but doesn't have digital output and I'm not sure of it's DAC quality v my upgraded EE Minimax.

Budget around £1500 used - I never buy new.

Your thoughts and expertise are very welcome!

OP
M

Malcesine

Quick update, updated Dirac to latest software and remeasured and adjusted curtains to be 20-200Hz. Measured both at the recommended 9 points and at one just to simplify.
The bass issues gone but again comes with trade offs across spectrum
The image is centred but wider, lacking both precision and punch - it's just generally dull and vague.
I'd rather live with serious bass issues than the Dirac 'processed' sound, its so, so poor.
I know it shouldn't, but it very clearly IS impacting rest of spectrum, even if it's technically only 'processing' the input signal and spitting it back out uncorrected, it's doing a really bad job.

Dirac is clearly not a good solution so the NAD is out and I need to go with process that I know is ONLY processing/correcting the frequencies I need.
Does minidsp have same issue as Dirac with whole signal being 'processed' (even if not corrected)?

Top Bottom