• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD660S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 73 28.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 126 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 15.2%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not really feasible passively, at least not without loosing sensitivity.
Something like this may well do what is needed when digital EQ is not an option or the Qudelix 5K.

Blew

That's very strange. Solderdude, RTINGS, Crinacle, Oratory and Amir... these five reviewers consistently show that the 660S has a warmer signature compared to their own measurements of the 600. If both headphones had new pads I really doubt the 660S had "far more clarity" unless one of the pairs had a frequency response that was very different from what's "normal" (aka it was faulty).
Where have they mentioned that?

By "clarity" I mean they are extremely detailed. I'm not referring to tonality or frequency response linearity. They are mercilessly revealing, so they sound fantastic when playing well produced tracks but can sound terrible when playing poorly produced music.

In my experience with them I have also found that, despite their lower impedance and their marketing towards mobile devices, you really need decent headphone amplification to bring out their best. I suspect this is why a lot of people don't have a good experience with them, because they haven't used them with the right equipment enough too hear their full potential. I wasn't impressed with them when listening to them on a SMSL M500 and Topping EX5, but they sound very good on the Singxer SA-1.

Amir's measurement below shows how impedance increases to 368 Ohm at the low end.
The redesign from HD650 seems to have been to lower the impedance:
View attachment 211589

Mimimetal

Hi, I ve bought this headphones for about 190€(second hand) and I would use it with my smartphone. Is a shanling up4 2022 enough? Thanks in advance for your helping

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I ve bought this headphones for about 190€(second hand) and I would use it with my smartphone. Is a shanling up4 2022 enough? Thanks in advance for your helping
Hello! Congratulations! You got a great headphone for a great price.

Specifications of Shanling UP4 only specified output power at 32ohms which makes me think maybe they don't produce enough voltage to drive high impedance headphones like HD650S. Do you have the headphones yet - if you do, plug them in and see if it gets loud enough for you.

Mimimetal

Hi, i ve bought 660s not 650s, I haven't the headphones yet so I can t test it but I ve bought the up4 for about 50€ from Amazon and I m using it with moondrop chu

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, i ve bought 660s not 650s, I haven't the headphones yet so I can t test it but I ve bought the up4 for about 50€ from Amazon and I m using it with moondrop chu
Oh. My bad. 660S is a great headphone as well though.

I found online that it can output 1.7V. Not sure how reliable that data is but looks like you will mostly be fine.

Wicky

I've got the 660S, it's only 150 ohms, I find it runs acceptably from an iPhone with the standard apple usb-c dongle

Mimimetal

I m considering the apple dongle a2049 but I live in Italy and i can order it only from USA. It wil cost about 20€ shipping included, worth it? If it is relevant my phone is a oppo find X3 neo

Wicky

I m considering the apple dongle a2049 but I live in Italy and i can order it only from USA. It wil cost about 20€ shipping included, worth it? If it is relevant my phone is a oppo find X3 neo
it's a pretty good little unit with a convenient form-factor, measurements here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/
You definitely get better measuring devices with a more power for not a whole lot more money e.g. Shangling UA1 or UA1S

Wicky

I read on shanling website that balanced output 2,5mm is 2,3v /32ohm 165mw. I could use this adapter https://amzn.eu/d/2NXEpde
The UA1 and UA1S as 3.5mm single ended, to the standard 3.5mm SE cable adaptor that comes with the HD660S will work. If you wanted balanced you'll need to pay a bit more... the same brand, the UA2 (~$85) has a 4.4mm balanced, which you also have with the HD660S.
Myself, I tend to use this https://www.hidizs.net/products/hidizs-s9-balanced-single-ended-mini-hifi-dac-amp

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sennheiser now sells these refurbished 199€ with a guarantee. Had to order a pair.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any pro tips here for softer pads? The stock ones are quite firm and start to hurt my ears with the eyeglasses.

Mimimetal

Any pro tips here for softer pads? The stock ones are quite firm and start to hurt my ears with the eyeglasses.
I have sold them also for uncomfy, above all when I m wearing reading glasses. Consider also that mine has been used for above 4 years by first owner

Tallulah

I would recommend lowering the clamping force by bending the headband. There are some tutorials out there since it's the same for many headphone models (600, 650, 6XX...).

I did this to my HD 600 and I'm very happy with it, much better comfort now. Just make sure that you only put pressure on the metal, not on the plastic!

Here's a tutorial:

Last edited:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would recommend lowering the clamping force by bending the headband. There are some tutorials out there since it's the same for many headphone models (600, 650, 6XX...).

I did this to my HD 600 and I'm very happy with it, much better comfort now. Just make sure that you only put pressure on the metal, not on the plastic!

Here's a tutorial:
Modified this way HD600 is by far the most comfortable headphone I have. You can have the clamping force tuned perfectly so that seal is good and still you don't feel them at all. The only downside is that you might feel guilty not using your "better" headphones as much, just because of worse comfort.

aliaksej

hello, audioscientists. Bought HD 660s from Thomann. Wonderful headphones. But noticed that pads are differently installed and are of different height from different sides. Is that normal for new headphones?

Attachments

• 20230814_101216.jpg
    20230814_101216.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230814_101159.jpg
    20230814_101159.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 61

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hello, audioscientists. Bought HD 660s from Thomann. Wonderful headphones. But noticed that pads are differently installed and are of different height from different sides. Is that normal for new headphones?

The pads are angled and are thicker at the back than the front. You may need to remove and rotate one of your pads by 180 degrees.

*edit* Actually, i'm not sure that come angled, mine are now after 3 years of use! I have the <2021 pads, so I think the front part of the pads has compressed more than the back. Comparison of older vs newer pads here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-sennheiser-pads-measured.24845/

Video showing how to remove and replace the ear pads here...

Last edited:
Top Bottom