• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD660s - divisive headphones

amazingtazing

There's a lot of debate with these headphones, so I sent my HD 660s pair to Amir to get his thoughts and measurements. I had a pair of HD 600 before and, to my ears, the sound felt more closer up and flat. They both have that airy Sennheiser tone to them, but I primarily used the 660s for games which they excelled over the 600s IMO.

Streamc

Sonarworks reviewed the 660 S and this was their conclusion:

Conclusion
If you’re looking for a revolution, then this sadly isn’t it. The HD660 S is an attempt to evolve the HD650 into something more exciting. The problem is that much of what made the HD650 great for sound editing has been therefore lost. It’s still a decent headphone for recreational listening, because of extra sparkle up top. However unlike 15 years ago, there are other decent headphones around the 500$ mark.
No. It is better than 650 in 80 percent of tracks because they are not deaf as 650.

tamask01

There's a lot of debate with these headphones, so I sent my HD 660s pair to Amir to get his thoughts and measurements. I had a pair of HD 600 before and, to my ears, the sound felt more closer up and flat. They both have that airy Sennheiser tone to them, but I primarily used the 660s for games which they excelled over the 600s IMO.
Thank you for this, I'm looking forward to the results.

I bought a pair of Sundaras, and first tried them with a Topping A50S / Topping E30 stack, and then a Fiio K5 Pro ESS I bought (I returned the Topping stack. It's much better than the K5, obviously, but I think for me they are overpriced and on the Sundaras I didn't notice any difference in sound quality at all, between the two. I'm very much a beginner at audio stuff tho).

Note that I ran my Sundaras raw, unequalized.
The bass wasn't really there, the sound was extremely accurate and detailed, the treble was so harsh and pronounced that 5 mins in on low-ish volume it gave me a headache... I also heard sharp popping from time to time, out of beat so not part of the music. I might had a defective pair but I was about to run out of the 30 days of return warranty.

Hopefully Amir will have some good stuff to say about the 660S as they are on sale now :D

Chyżwar

It's much better than the K5, obviously, but I think for me they are overpriced and on the Sundaras I didn't notice any difference in sound quality at all, between the two. I'm very much a beginner at audio stuff tho).

There are no differences in sound quality between DACs and amps :)

tamask01

There are no differences in sound quality between DACs and amps :)
Then since both can power the headphones in my price range and the K5, being a single device is more compact (which is what I need), it looks like I made the right call to return the more expensive stack and keep this.

Agony

Note that I ran my Sundaras raw, unequalized.
The bass wasn't really there, the sound was extremely accurate and detailed, the treble was so harsh and pronounced that 5 mins in on low-ish volume it gave me a headache... I also heard sharp popping from time to time, out of beat so not part of the music. I might had a defective pair but I was about to run out of the 30 days of return warranty.
I also dont use EQ , I use mostly Sundara and HD660s i like both of them , moste of my Friends on A-B listening they like Sundara more , yeah they have that airy sound that space and detail that speed that wows most people and honestly i like Sundara more watching movies . But HD 660s to me are smoother more organic sounding with smaller soundstage vocals that feel close to you and for me better imaging that Sundara for sure . But thats my taste i dont even use EQ because i like the stock sound more . Also something that i cants explain is that Sundara sound some times metalic ??? i dont know how to say it correctly .
But honestly its nice to have both of them . For me HD660s for music and Sundara for Movies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Also something that i cants explain is that Sundara sound some times metalic ???

That's the treble peak it has at around 9kHz. This peak cannot be seen on HATS measurements but it is there.

DeepFried

I wanted headphones for critical listening in a quiet environment where sound leakage doesn't matter and having spent a few days on and off researching I have just ordered a pair of HD660s. At the outset I had dismissed these based on their lukewarm response from reviewers and self-proclaimed audiophiles but the more I read the more I thought the HD660s was the better bet. Auditioning wasn't possible due to Covid.
These headphones seem to divide opinion. My simplified analysis of opinions I've read:
Criticisms: a) They have weak and loose sub bass. If you try to correct this with EQ they distort to unacceptable levels (such and such headphone is better in this area, e.g. DT 1990 Pro, Sundara or whatever); b) They're no more resolving than HD600/HD650/HD6XX, so they're overpriced.
Pros: a) These correct a couple of frequency response issues with the previous 6 series models. b) resolving characteristics are slightly improved over 600/650.
I use EQ on headphones, tuning to the 2018 Harman Target and then reducing bass by -3 dB. I know not everyone likes the Harman sound or wants to EQ at all. My preference is to hear something close to flat speakers in a well treated room. That's what the engineers and producer heard and to my ears it always sounds good for well produced music. Coloured sound signatures generally sound bad to me, particularly excessive treble. Therefore, I'm more interested in potential performance after EQ than with stock frequency response.

Someone may have said it already, but if you're going to EQ then why not just get the cheapest? the HD600 or HD6XX if you can get them will EQ to Harman just as well as the 660s

Agony

Someone may have said it already, but if you're going to EQ then why not just get the cheapest? the HD600 or HD6XX if you can get them will EQ to Harman just as well as the 660s
WIth all respect i disagree, I have for long time 600,6xx,660s and even that with EQ the sound signature is the shame , they dont sound the shame , HD 660s are faster with way better imaging and separation compared to the others with the shame EQ .
In my opinion graphs and EQ is the half story of how a headphone sounds.

Top Bottom