• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
That is not any kind of "process" to brag about. Averaging a few times? That is the protocol you said was: "Oratory is also a trained, qualified professional with a methodically precise measurement procedure. " There is nothing precise about averaging. As I have explained, averaging actually removes precision, doesn't add to it.
Couldn't this be a good method to use if the goal is to create a general-purpose EQ that is gentle enough to account for some frequency variation between units? That has been my impression of his output, it's mostly EQ-oriented rather than trying to explain what's going on with a particular headphone or to provide subjective impressions like we see here at ASR and from people like crinacle and solderdude.
@amirm and @bobbooo what would you think about reaching out to him and inviting him to join the forum? Clearly there's a lot of synergy between his work and Amir's, and actual productive discussions to be had.
For some reason I thought he was here because @crinacle and @jaakkopasanen already are but I guess not. The more, the merrier.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Couldn't this be a good method to use if the goal is to create a general-purpose EQ that is gentle enough to account for some frequency variation between units?
I take a soft approach to equalization already. As you see there are very few filters. They are starting points and something you are welcome to tune. No amount of averaging or messing around in measurements will result in anything objectively better.

When I started with the B&K Hats, I used averaging and it just got in the way rather solve any issue. It is best to optimize placement on the measurement gear and then work around that, than picking a bunch of random positions and try to average them. Averaging bad data gives you bad data.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
When I started with the B&K Hats, I used averaging and it just got in the way rather solve any issue. It is best to optimize placement on the measurement gear and then work around that, than picking a bunch of random positions and try to average them. Averaging bad data gives you bad data.
I can appreciate that philosophy. Given that you're working with similar gear, I look forward to comparing the results between the averaging method vs. the best case scenario because the former should tell us something about wearing the headphone and the latter should tell us about the headphone itself.

Artaois

Is the HifiMan Sundara on the list to be done? $350 planar magnetic that is, from what I've heard, impressive and a bargain.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is the HifiMan Sundara on the list to be done? $350 planar magnetic that is, from what I've heard, impressive and a bargain.
Not currently. I am trying to clear out the current inventory before asking members for more. But yes, I am curious myself as well so we will get it tested at some point.

buz

Forum Donor
It's a bit off topic, but what is the inventory? Just so we know what we can look forward to :)

Blujackaal

because it sounds good ?
There are many, many songs that sound equally good on a well encoded 320kbs MP3 and WAV.

320Kbps is overkill when with LAME, it should sound transparent at 175(V3) ~ 256(V0) depending on person/gear and how complex the music is. But with AAC/Vorbis at 320k should be fine on even wider content since it artifact less than MP3 on harder samples(pre echo/fast attacks), can be transparent down to 96 ~ 192kbps for most.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's a bit off topic, but what is the inventory? Just so we know what we can look forward to :)
Too many. ;)

Feelas

Final mastering is done here, with high quality speakers possessing an extended, flat frequency response and well controlled dispersion, and the engineer should have the bass equalisation of the room tailored to match his own personal preference for bass level, so that he feels comfortable when it is right. Then, when you play the mix back at home, you have the room bass equalised in your room to the level that matches your preferences. Then the bass will sound right for you too. It is possible to close the loop. It is not futile.

Unless the consumer owns a system w/ bass tweaked for preference, with well-extended speakers & properly tuned room, that's not a real scenario. It might not be true pretty often.

Strato007

Hi guys!

what dongle USB C for smartphone do you recommend to use with this HD650??

I own the Ztella MQA to use with iPhone and Android through UAPP. But is there anything better? I saw the hidizs s8 but seems to be weak in terms of amplification.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You are asking how a magic trick is done. Once you know, it won't be fun anymore. :)

N

nhatlam96

I just received the HD650 and dislike the sound. I like the idea of vocal isolation and mid forwardness, but it was overdone here. The mids became a little too sharp and the background instruments too quiet. The technical side of things, like soundstage, imaging, microdynamics, dynamics, detail, resolution etc. were also of lower quality (in comparison to Focal Clear). I used SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2, SMSL SP200 and Amir's EQ settings. If someone would like to upgrade their HD650, look no further than Focal Elegia with Dekoni Sheepskin Pads, which has the right amount of mid forwardness with greater technicalities.
HD650_compressed.jpg
EDIT: I see that a lot of people like the HD650 very much and dont experience the problems which I have experienced.
I can think of two possible reasons for this:
1. they never compared it with a higher end headphone. On the other hand, for example amir and solderude have tons of expensive headphones and did not experience my problems.
2. we just hear differently, because of different ears, brain, body etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

brachypelma44

I just received the HD650 and dislike the sound.

Have you EQed them?

I ask because I didn't care for the sound of my 6XX (which is the same thing as the 650 only with a different paint job) either, but once I EQed them, it completely changed my opinion. Sounded like a different set of phones.

Still prefer the Sundara overall, but EQ took a 'hmm...should I send this back?' headphone and made it a keeper.

N

nhatlam96

Sure: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0
I'm running them off of the Monolith THX 788 via optical coming from the PC's sound card.
Sorry for the late reply, there were some fireworks I had to attend to. Happy new year.
I tried three different EQ settings now:
1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0
Preamp: -8 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 23 Hz Gain 2.6 dB Q 1.6
Filter: ON LS Fc 70 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.7 (I decreased the bass a little)
Filter: ON PK Fc 210 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 2150 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 2.2
Filter: ON PK Fc 3100 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 3.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 4270 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -0.8 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 5700 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 6600 Hz Gain 0.9 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 11000 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1.3

2. autoEQ
Preamp: -6.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24 Hz Gain 6.3 dB Q 0.38
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 170 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 0.56
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2002 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 3.08
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4758 Hz Gain 2.4 dB Q 2.06
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9697 Hz Gain 5.8 dB Q 2.31
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3121 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 4.39
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5359 Hz Gain 0.6 dB Q 0.61
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 12068 Hz Gain 2.9 dB Q 2.21
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 14386 Hz Gain 1.3 dB Q 2.17
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 19759 Hz Gain -12.3 dB Q 0.45

3. Amirm
Preamp: -8.5 dB
Filter: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 1
Filter: ON LS Fc 75 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 7600 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 13700 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4

The autoEQ settings are my favourite. The HD650 are not a bad headphone, just comparatively to the Clears, those problems become more obvious. Price to performance wise it's 10/10.

Can you provide example track or two that you listened to?
First track: Time: 2:54 to 3:06. Mid sharpness on the vocalist for the HD650.
Second track: Time: 3:40 to 4:00. Mid sharpness on the vocalist for the HD650.
Third tack: Time: the whole track. Lower resolution, half of the detail, worse bass, uneven balance of the tracks (in comparison to Focal Clear, otherwise it's fine headphone)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom