• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man I just got these and im wondering if I made a mistake in buying them because of how good they are.They are highly rated and alot of people recommended them.

For example I get really irritated by mouth smacking and subtle pops/clicks (all way to common everywhere in videos/streams) and altought I can hear them on my old headset the 560s really does make them pop out more to the point where it feels like every subtle sound is amplified.

There's too much bad audio out there in the wild and these headphones just lays them bare.
You could consider using them with an Oratory EQ, if you've not already tried it, as you may find the points you brought up might be reduced by using EQ. HD560s does have some boosting at 4-6kHz that might accentuate the points you've brought up, and it has a bit too much energy at 1kHz and just above which likewise might accentuate the things you've mentioned. I find HD560s ok to use without EQ, but it's better with EQ.

knam

You could consider using them with an Oratory EQ, if you've not already tried it, as you may find the points you brought up might be reduced by using EQ. HD560s does have some boosting at 4-6kHz that might accentuate the points you've brought up, and it has a bit too much energy at 1kHz and just above which likewise might accentuate the things you've mentioned. I find HD560s ok to use without EQ, but it's better with EQ.
I never tried to eq them because I never eq'd a pair of headphones as I don't like having programs running in the background just for headphones.Do you have any other suggestion for something similar to the 560s?I really like how they sound almost speaker like (open) and decent sound stage.Something without the "Boosting/energy" that you mentioned so popping/clicks aren't amplified.
My only other option would be to get another sennheiser Game one to replace my aging one.Oddly enough tho when I tried to replace my old sennheiser game one with the newer model it looked and sounded different then my old model.Arch was more curved so the clamp was tighter and the sound was more intimate almost like the pc38x (which I also bought and returned).Very much a repainted pc38x.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never tried to eq them because I never eq'd a pair of headphones as I don't like having programs running in the background just for headphones.Do you have any other suggestion for something similar to the 560s?I really like how they sound almost speaker like (open) and decent sound stage.Something without the "Boosting/energy" that you mentioned so popping/clicks aren't amplified.
My only other option would be to get another sennheiser Game one to replace my aging one.Oddly enough tho when I tried to replace my old sennheiser game one with the newer model it looked and sounded different then my old model.Arch was more curved so the clamp was tighter and the sound was more intimate almost like the pc38x (which I also bought and returned).Very much a repainted pc38x.
If you really don't want to have additional software running on your PC then you can buy a DAC/amp that includes parametric EQ:
The beauty of using parametric EQ is that you can experiment with changing the frequency response, probably starting with an Oratory EQ, and then you'll know better what kind of target curve suits you, and you'd be able to see if it cures your annoyances you've mentioned. It would be pretty unwise to just start buying different headphones hoping it would cure the annoyance, it would be best first to understand what kind of frequency response can help it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Man I just got these and im wondering if I made a mistake in buying them because of how good they are.They are highly rated and alot of people recommended them.

For example I get really irritated by mouth smacking and subtle pops/clicks (all way to common everywhere in videos/streams) and altought I can hear them on my old headset the 560s really does make them pop out more to the point where it feels like every subtle sound is amplified.

There's too much bad audio out there in the wild and these headphones just lays them bare.

It may be because the headphones have a treble emphasis in the 4-8kHz range. When EQ is not an option you could try the passive filter.
It won't prevent the pops/clicks but likely will make them less audible (as would EQ) as 'ticks' are higher up in the frequency band, pops also have a lower frequency component but the higher frequency part of it is the most annoying.
The frequency where it peaks is too low to be lowered/treated acoustically.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It may be because the headphones have a treble emphasis in the 4-8kHz range. When EQ is not an option you could try the passive filter.
It won't prevent the pops/clicks but likely will make them less audible (as would EQ) as 'ticks' are higher up in the frequency band, pops also have a lower frequency component but the higher frequency part of it is the most annoying.
The frequency where it peaks is too low to be lowered/treated acoustically.
@knam , solderdude is talking about his passive filter that you can buy from his own website, he probably doesn't want to link to his own website:
The Quidelix 5K for parametric EQ will give you more flexibility though for all sorts of things as well as trying to remove your current annoyances you've identified.

knam

@knam , solderdude is talking about his passive filter that you can buy from his own website, he probably doesn't want to link to his own website:
The Quidelix 5K for parametric EQ will give you more flexibility though for all sorts of things as well as trying to remove your current annoyances you've identified.
I was wondering what the passive filter thing was.I thought it was some sort of program at first then I looked it up on google and its some DIY stuff you apply to your headphone.
A bit out of my depth here as I don't have the expertise to apply it to headphones.
As for the Quidelix 5k its around 120 + 27 euro shipping (yea amazon been scamming with the shipping since covid)
Think il just return the 560s while the 30 day no question asked return policy is still in effect.
Like,the 560s+ the Quidelix would be like 300 euros total give or take.

I really should have made a much thorough research when buying these headphones.Especially since I have a mild case of misophonia.
Funnily enough I did find a review and he complains of the exact same issue.Shame I didn't see it sooner.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/lp67kb
Thanks for the help anyway.Il keep looking for something similar to the 560s without all the over pronounced pop/clicks/mouthsmacking.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering what the passive filter thing was.I thought it was some sort of program at first then I looked it up on google and its some DIY stuff you apply to your headphone.
A bit out of my depth here as I don't have the expertise to apply it to headphones.
As for the Quidelix 5k its around 120 + 27 euro shipping (yea amazon been scamming with the shipping since covid)
Think il just return the 560s while the 30 day no question asked return policy is still in effect.
Like,the 560s+ the Quidelix would be like 300 euros total give or take.

I really should have made a much thorough research when buying these headphones.Especially since I have a mild case of misophonia.
Funnily enough I did find a review and he complains of the exact same issue.Shame I didn't see it sooner.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/lp67kb
Thanks for the help anyway.Il keep looking for something similar to the 560s without all the over pronounced pop/clicks/mouthsmacking.
For the passive filter, I think he'll incorporate it into a headphone cable for you, so you'd pay him for that service, which will be less than the Quidelix. Ah, misophonia, meaning you can be very sensitive in emotional or physiological response to certain sounds - I was gonna say that I'm surprised you're sending the HD560s back because of the irritating accentuations in some of the sounds when you were watching Youtube vids, but I guess that makes sense now.

Re Quidelix though, 147 Euro is worth it for EQ in your headphones, and indeed any headphones you buy in the future, as a one off cost - assuming that you're not gonna just use free EQ in the form of EqualiserAPO or Parametric EQ in playback software.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These headphones are down to just £119 on Amazon in UK (Prime Day deal):

sblrog

These headphones are down to just £119 on Amazon in UK (Prime Day deal):

How many of these do you have now? How many K702s? I picked up a used set of K702s for $105 CAD and I love them!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many of these do you have now? How many K702s? I picked up a used set of K702s for $105 CAD and I love them!
I've got 4 units of each now! :facepalm: I bought another HD560s very recently because I wanted to measure the version with the new shorter cable, I basically found out the same stuff that solderdude found, the new version is noticeably different in frequency response / sound. I'll post up my findings when I've got it all together. I'll be posting up an EQ you can use to turn new version into old version so that you can combine it with an Oratory EQ (because Oratory EQ is mostly made from measuring the old version). I did want the new version of the HD560s because it does sound better than the old version when used without EQ (it's not as bright, voices filled out a bit more naturally in the lower end, tonally it's a somewhat warmer headphone but it's still undeniably an HD560s). Yes, so I wanted the new version for times when I'm not using EQ.

Soria Moria

Does anyone make aftermarket pads for the 560S? I'd like to have some that are a little deeper since my ears touch the inside. That would be extremely nice. Leather could also be nice.

I just found some Dekoni ones but they are actually more shallow than the stock ones.

Last edited:

Dazerdoreal

Does anyone make aftermarket pads for the 560S? I'd like to have some that are a little deeper since my ears touch the inside. That would be extremely nice. Leather could also be nice.
Edit: Just found these: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/choice-leather-for-sennheiser-hd598-headphones/
Do they work with HD560S? Are they actually deeper?
I think Dekoni would mention them in their "Compatibility List" if they would. I mean, they are not exactly unknown.

Besides, I hope you are aware that the sound would likely change a lot. You can EQ - but you have to do it on your own, there might be no Oratory1990ish graphs/presets anymore.

Soria Moria

I think Dekoni would mention them in their "Compatibility List" if they would. I mean, they are not exactly unknown.

Besides, I hope you are aware that the sound would likely change a lot. You can EQ - but you have to do it on your own, there might be no Oratory1990ish graphs/presets anymore.
I use the settings @Robbo99999 gave me but I think those were based on a different version since I have the newest revision of the headphone. But yes I know it would change the sound. Worth it for the better comfort in my opinion. I'd just EQ a bit by ear if anything sounds worse.

Dazerdoreal

And I guess these settings are based on the standard ear pads you are wearing right now, right? When you are switching up ear pads - especially, if this includes changing the materials of the ear pads (Vinyl to Leather) - the sound signature can change significantly.

Soria Moria

And I guess these settings are based on the standard ear pads you are wearing right now, right? When you are switching up ear pads - especially, if this includes changing the materials of the ear pads (Vinyl to Leather) - the sound signature can change significantly.
Yep.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the settings @Robbo99999 gave me but I think those were based on a different version since I have the newest revision of the headphone. But yes I know it would change the sound. Worth it for the better comfort in my opinion. I'd just EQ a bit by ear if anything sounds worse.
Hi, that's strange, I haven't measured an HD560s with Dekoni Pads, so I couldn't have given you an EQ for them. Are you talking about the HD560s? Could you see if you can link me the post where I gave you the EQ, I think there's been some confusion here?

EDIT: Ah, you're talking about the following post of mine, that's just an EQ of a standard HD560s (not Dekoni Pads), and I did that EQ for you because Oratory hasn't done an EQ for those people with an RME DAC, so that EQ is just an RME DAC EQ for a standard stock HD560s:

Soria Moria

Hi, that's strange, I haven't measured an HD560s with Dekoni Pads, so I couldn't have given you an EQ for them. Are you talking about the HD560s? Could you see if you can link me the post where I gave you the EQ, I think there's been some confusion here?

EDIT: Ah, you're talking about the following post of mine, that's just an EQ of a standard HD560s (not Dekoni Pads), and I did that EQ for you because Oratory hasn't done an EQ for those people with an RME DAC, so that EQ is just an RME DAC EQ for a standard stock HD560s:
I was talking about the regular pads, but there's apparently a new revision of the headphone that measures slightly differently and that's the one I have. :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was talking about the regular pads, but there's apparently a new revision of the headphone that measures slightly differently and that's the one I have. :)
Yes, there is a new revision for that headphone, and it does measure a bit differently. Look quickly at post #432, I measured it and I'm going to post my results when I've got some time, this weekend I think. I'll also provide an EQ that turns new version into old version, which means you can combine that with EQ's that are based on measurements of the old version, so that the EQ's remain valid. Solderdude measured the new version first and my results look quite similar to his, so we're 100% sure the new version measures and sounds a bit different.

Top Bottom