• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

usern

Is it worth getting the 560S over the 600 if I only plan on EQing it as closely as possible to the Harman target using the 7-band EQ of my RME? If you're wondering why I'm not going to use software is just because I have a lot of problems with it. Annoying having to fix it after every Windows update and I can't get it to work with Foobar. The reasons why I'm interested in the 560S is that it is much cheaper (I can get it for $170) and it supposedly has better imaging and more space for your ears as a result of the angled drivers.
If you don't already have 600, then get the 560S. More comfortable and you can EQ more bass or play louder than 600.

Soria Moria

Loudness isn't a concern. It's more that the Harman EQ target by Oratory uses 10 bands to achieve it while my RME doesn't have that many, so I'm wondering if it's worth getting it still despite not being able to fully complete the EQ. It seems like the better headphone post-EQ due to the imaging and comfort.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it worth getting the 560S over the 600 if I only plan on EQing it as closely as possible to the Harman target using the 7-band EQ of my RME? If you're wondering why I'm not going to use software is just because I have a lot of problems with it. Annoying having to fix it after every Windows update and I can't get it to work with Foobar. The reasons why I'm interested in the 560S is that it is much cheaper (I can get it for $170) and it supposedly has better imaging and more space for your ears as a result of the angled drivers.
That should work out alright with the HD560s re 7 band EQ for the RME. You could ask Oratory if he'd do an RME EQ for it, you could ask him over on his reddit:
I might be able to do one for you if he can't do one for you. It's one Low Shelf and one High Shelf, and 5 peak filters isn't it, that's what you've got to play with re your RME.

Soria Moria

That should work out alright with the HD560s re 7 band EQ for the RME. You could ask Oratory if he'd do an RME EQ for it, you could ask him over on his reddit:
I might be able to do one for you if he can't do one for you. It's one Low Shelf and one High Shelf, and 5 peak filters isn't it, that's what you've got to play with re your RME.
I don't have a Reddit account. Is it possible to ask him about it elsewhere? Thanks for helping!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a Reddit account. Is it possible to ask him about it elsewhere? Thanks for helping!
He's here on ASR, @oratory1990
If he can't do you an RME EQ I'm sure I can do one for you at some point. But it's worth asking him because if he includes it on his website, then more people are going to have access to it.

ishmeister

I have both. I prefer the HD560S with EQ for the reasons you mention.

You could try this auto-generated EQ, where I just disabled the least significant filters. I listened and it sounds good, though I don't have an ADI-2.

Screenshot 2023-04-08 104207.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both. I prefer the HD560S with EQ for the reasons you mention.

You could try this auto-generated EQ, where I just disabled the least significant filters. I listened and it sounds good, though I don't have an ADI-2.

View attachment 277872
RME has only 5 Peak Filters allowed (you've put in 7), and then one Low Shelf Filter, and then one High Shelf Filter - so 7 filters altogether, but two of them have to be the Low & High Shelf Filters. Also it's kinda hard to imagine the various interactions of the different filters, so just turning off some of the filters is not the best idea unless you see how it affects the frequency response. The best approach is to start from scratch using the restricted number of filters you've got available & then try to match it close as possible to the target curve. But it was good of you to offer an idea on how to help.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought mine for 119.9 Euro on Amazon BE.
Looks like the EU are getting some better deals on this headphone than the UK, because £127 is effectively the lowest price it's been here on Amazon in UK. I think it's worth it even at it's normal price of £169 though, it's better than a lot of more expensive headphones.
I’ve finally decided and I’ve ordered the 560S! Will hopefully be here within Friday.
Cool, I think that's a good decision, a lot of people do like this headphone and it measures well. How much did you pay for yours, was it a good price in your country?

Soria Moria

Cool, I think that's a good decision, a lot of people do like this headphone and it measures well. How much did you pay for yours, was it a good price in your country?
I paid $200 for it which is the second cheapest one. The cheapest is $190 but out of stock.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I paid $200 for it which is the second cheapest one. The cheapest is $190 but out of stock.
In my opinion, that's still definitely worth it. If Oratory doesn't come back with an RME EQ for it then drop me a message on here & I'll do an RME EQ for you (which I would post up in here so at least readers here might use it they have RME - I'd be basing it on Oratory's measurements of course).

Last edited:

AC1

Installed APO and a peaking filter of 6500 Hz, - 4 dB ( Q factor: 1.5) takes the harshness or shoutiness away while keeping the overall sound signature of the headphones.

Soria Moria

First impressions: They sound very good and exactly as described. I actually don't find them bass light and yes I do actually listen to music that goes down to 20 Hz. They are a little bit harsh though. At this point I'd be fine with just fixing the treble with EQ and I'd be a happy person. Imaging is also great as people have been saying. I believe @solderdude attributed part of the imaging to the angled drivers (which was one of the reasons I bought this). Can I ask how angled drivers improve imaging? Less group delay or something?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Probably depending on the angle the driver has opposite the pinna so the effects could vary from person to person.
Also elevated upper mids seems to help with imaging as well as 'flattness' of the treble response (cannot be seen on HATS measurements).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First impressions: They sound very good and exactly as described. I actually don't find them bass light and yes I do actually listen to music that goes down to 20 Hz. They are a little bit harsh though. At this point I'd be fine with just fixing the treble with EQ and I'd be a happy person. Imaging is also great as people have been saying. I believe @solderdude attributed part of the imaging to the angled drivers (which was one of the reasons I bought this). Can I ask how angled drivers improve imaging? Less group delay or something?
That's good, I'll see if I can do an EQ for you at the weekend for your RME if Oratory hasn't said he's doing one by then.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Soria Moria , in the meantime you could try just a Peak Filter at 4750Hz, -3dB, Q2. That's me eyeballing the peak there on Oratory's measurement.

Top Bottom