• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Second Wave Kali IN-8 Announcement: -12dB self noise

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How close are they to Genelec Ones?

I've compared the IN-8 directly with the Genelec 8260. Besides the obvious disparity in bass extension, there's a little bit of a muted sound to vocals and a touch of "hard treble" on the IN-8.

My guess is that the IN-8 with Dirac would take care of a potential bass or midbass hump and get rid of most of that muted/darker sound, and I'm not sure what would improve the treble.

On a budget, I think the default for a two channel or surround system should be Kali IN-8v2 and IN-5 units as I don't hear any audible faults at normal volumes, and only small issues compared to my Genelecs.

From there one could step up to a Phantom Reactor pair in near field, or for a two channel for some additional bass extension, or add a pair or two of sub's.

After that I'd be looking at used Genelec monitors and subs, and finally get a cost no object system with brand new w371 woofers and an 8351B units, or a Dutch & Dutch 8c if they make a coaxial version.

I also have a Hivi DIY 3.1 with the Sehlin mod, but on the low budget end of things once the speakers are finished for $325 and a crappy amp is added for $100, I think people should save the extra $275 for a Kali.

I'd rather have the IN-5 even though it scores lower than the Hivi. Just can't get over the dispersion issues and lobeing unless I pause the music every time I stand up or move my head position at my desk or on a couch, adjust the speakers, and then press play again.

Fohdeesha

Forum Donor
as someone who just spent $800 on what are now "1st gen" IN-8s, and who can definitely hear the self noise when the HVAC is off.....greaaaat timing

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
as someone who just spent $800 on what are now "1st gen" IN-8s, and who can definitely hear the self noise when the HVAC is off.....greaaaat timing

If the self noise bothers you and you just got them, be sure to return them!

If it has been more than 30 days and it didn't bother you before, don't worry about it now.

Fohdeesha

Forum Donor
If the self noise bothers you and you just got them, be sure to return them!

If it has been more than 30 days and it didn't bother you before, don't worry about it now.

it's been slightly more than 30 days, and I wouldn't say "bother" is the right word, but it's definitely noticeable. If I had any idea I could get IN8's for the same price that are superior in every single way (drivers, self noise, max SPL, DSP) if I waited a month to purchase, I definitely would have done so :)

Moonhead

it's been slightly more than 30 days, and I wouldn't say "bother" is the right word, but it's definitely noticeable. If I had any idea I could get IN8's for the same price that are superior in every single way (drivers, self noise, max SPL, DSP) if I waited a month to purchase, I definitely would have done so :)

Try contacting Kali and let them know your situation, maybe they can change the parts for a slightly fee if you are willing to send.
I know some company do this to provide a great customer base.

sand_bit

I gasped when he pressed the tweeter in, wouldn't it be safer for them to provide a grille/mesh for protection?

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really enjoying these nearfield. Set up a pair today. I swear the slight difference in bass is more noticeable than the specs of the IN-5 vs IN-8 suggest.

Hard to tell what the difference is in treble vs the original. Sounds very close to the IN-5 and very close to the IN-8 v1.

Filio45

wouldn't it be safer for them to provide a grille/mesh for protection?

I agree this is disappointing because you have to be extra careful not to damage them. It's a good bet that when these Kali models eventually come up on the second-hand market, many will have squashed tweeter domes. I own JBL LSR 6328p and 25p, also with unprotected tweeters, and I've noticed roughly 75% of s/h ones on ebay have damaged tweeters, ranging from slighlty dented to completely crushed. Maybe the ex-JBL designers that are now with Kali have not noticed this phenomenon? And the 053t(i) HF unit is a challenge to replace. Rant over ...)

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
€416,- (about US $510) a piece pre-order here in The Netherlands, with a five week delivery wait. Guess they haven't touched Dutch soil yet.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree this is disappointing because you have to be extra careful not to damage them. It's a good bet that when these Kali models eventually come up on the second-hand market, many will have squashed tweeter domes. I own JBL LSR 6328p and 25p, also with unprotected tweeters, and I've noticed roughly 75% of s/h ones on ebay have damaged tweeters, ranging from slighlty dented to completely crushed. Maybe the ex-JBL designers that are now with Kali have not noticed this phenomenon? And the 053t(i) HF unit is a challenge to replace. Rant over ...)

Time to quash that disappointment: I love the thought they put into it! Watch the video and I think you'll be surprised. Unless you use a pen or knife and tear the tweeter it should be fine.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just viewed the video and you are indeed correct. I wish the 053ti would also pop back into place like that.:)

"Pure Titanium" domes are not very resilient that way -- we have several old JBLs with 026ti tweeters here, so I feel your pain. :oops:

Top Bottom