• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Second Wave Kali IN-8 Announcement: -12dB self noise

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sorry if it's already posted elsewhere, searched and couldn't find it. Highlight:
-New DSP with smoother high frequency response.
-12dB self noise improvement.
-Same for the old models, but the tweeter pops right back out if you press on it, though I don't recommend doing this.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That moment when he presses the tweeter! o_O

Nice improvements overall, I am glad they did.

Last edited:
OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the improvements.
Let’s see these on the test bench to confirm the results.

Go easy on Amir! He still has yet to test the IN-5 which I'm curious about.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In addition to the reduction in self noise some important changes in specs for the IN-8 V2 for those who want to listen at reference level from further away. While power hasn't been increased maximum rated SPL has been raised by 3 dB from 114 dB to 117 db. Maximum rated distance at which the IN-8 V2 can produce 85 dB sustained with 105 dB peaks has been increased from 2.8 m (~9 ft) to 3.5 m (~11.5 ft). This makes the updated IN-8 usable in a slightly larger home theater environment than the original version.

LearningToSmile

New drivers too. The IN-8 is in a good price spot, so if it compares more to the IN-5 than the first generation IN-8 this might be something to look out for.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Can't read the dispersion charts as well, and not sure how variable things are, but I'd love for them to tag team things and maybe both measure if there is something weird... Standardize the charts and order.

a68791d0fac6a631306b4ed3cd680488.gif

Amir and I would have mostly the same result. The only difference I would expect is the HF where I use a modified boom arm to get rid of comb filtering from the boom arm itself (see discussion here).

I do additional testing as well.

I can't really help you with the inability to read the dispersion graphics. The reason I have made mine a certain way is because I was asked to by the community here. So, I obliged. I don't want 15 versions of the same graphic so I'm sticking with those.

Edit: If anything, you would think you would want results from the same person to compare the differences between the two versions. Thus, my confusion. *shrug*

Last edited:
OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a68791d0fac6a631306b4ed3cd680488.gif

Amir and I would have mostly the same result. The only difference I would expect is the HF where I use a modified boom arm to get rid of comb filtering from the boom arm itself (see discussion here).

I do additional testing as well.

I can't really help you with the inability to read the dispersion graphics. The reason I have made mine a certain way is because I was asked to by the community here. So, I obliged. I don't want 15 versions of the same graphic so I'm sticking with those.

Edit: If anything, you would think you would want results from the same person to compare the differences between the two versions. Thus, my confusion. *shrug*

Yeah, things would be very consistent, which is why if I were coming up with a method I'd avoid the other's stuff unless there was an issue where more exploration and comparison was necessary.

I think you do a great job and I just need to get used to the non-normalized dispersion graphs which I think is what causes the difference in look.

Sorry for the confusion. Put simply, I think quantity is more valuable at this point since the quality is already so high. If something measures like there is an issue in a higher end/known good company monitor I'd say measure unit differences, but other than that, the more that is measured the better.

(Tag team a list of unmeasured speakers, not tag team the same speaker.)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
(Tag team a list of unmeasured speakers, not tag team the same speaker.)

I guess the confusing part for me is - and this is getting OT - what makes you think either of us are definitely testing the speaker? Has it been stated that Amir is? I've already talked to Kali about it... I just haven't said anything publicly so no one else would know I was planning on testing it.

And, yes, I'm all for not spinning gears testing the same thing (pun not intended, ha!). But, since I've already tested the IN-5 ... ;)

Not trying to give you a hard time on purpose. Your post just confuddled me. :D

More Dynamics Please

... And, yes, I'm all for not spinning gears testing the same thing (pun not intended, ha!). But, since I've already tested the IN-5 ... ;) ...

One of the key points for some people about you doing an IN-8 V2 review is whether or not it gets a different conclusion from the following in your IN-5 review:

If you are looking for speakers for home theater or high-volume listening in a farfield situation like a living room or media room, these speakers are not recommended.

More Dynamics Please

That's exactly why I want to review the updated IN-8.

Would be interesting to try to independently verify Kali's claim of 85 dB continuous with 105 dB peaks from as far away as 3.5 meters as Kali cites this measurement at various maximum distances for all their speakers unlike most other speaker companies.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's exactly why I want to review the updated IN-8.

What is your metric for recommending something for far field? Do you go by ear or is there an SPL measurement used?

In every room in my house, a Kali IN-5 pair goes louder than I can stand.

(For movies I could see needing more loudness, particularly for low frequency, though that would also partly be the fault of the people who make decisions for movies like Tenet and Interstellar choosing to, in my opinion, destroy a generation of art just like the "loudness wars" people started doing in the ~80s. I love the Interstellar soundtrack, but man I think I and thousands of others would pay to have a remastered blu-ray release with correctly mixed speech and sound effects. (Intelligible, clear, and not requiring ear damaging peaks to hear the dialogue.))

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
What is your metric for recommending something for far field? Do you go by ear or is there an SPL measurement used?

The IN-5's have a built-in limiter which restricts the output somewhere above 96dB @ 1m.

1621300558050.png

With that in mind, a pair, in a room at 4m would net you about 93dB or so; transient. People who purchase speakers for louder levels in the far-field are best advised to look at a different speaker. Even Kali states a recommended listening range of "0.2 - 2.2 meters". They would work well with that listening distance, though. It's just important to note that high output levels will cause the limiter to kick in and it is audible.

Top Bottom