• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

superbluecat

Trying to get a precise estimate of self-generated noise level on Kali LP V2 and IN V2 models. Heard lots of folks say they are silent and less noise than V1. But how much exactly?
Though somebody made this form https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n62hGAdKptSSKC74_fIT_R7DxFJ60YR2_O9C8x-vYQI/edit#gid=0 in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hiss-list-s-r.18050/ before, a lot of recent models are not counted. Wonder what noise level are those Kali V2s equivalent to? Genelecs, or even Neumann?

I suppose all the self-generated noise levels are when plugged to AC, no signal input. Hence, the noise specifically caused by amplifier.

Neumann KH310 17dB@10cm, gain can be cranked down But I am not sure if noise can raise due to AB amplifier heat.
Neumann KH80, 120 II, 150... 20dB@10cm, gain can be cranked down 15dB making noise even lower.
Focal Shape 20dB@10cm
Genelec 8331 21dB@10cm (not sure if cranking -6dB input can reduce that)
Genelec 8341 23dB@10cm according to website
Genelec 80x0, 8351B, 8361B 25dB@10cm
AudioEngine Ax/HDx ???dB@10cm I am sure a few decibels higher than KH80. AB amplifier can have more noise when hot, whistling through port.

Last edited:

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never been able to heard hiss on the LP-6v2 no matter how hard or close I tried.

IMO its an overblown issue. Even I can't hear hiss from the "hiss-king" JBL 305P from around 4 inches away from the tweeter in a background noise of ~28dBA. My DC 16" fan at slowest is clearly more audible from 1 meter.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Never been able to heard hiss on the LP-6v2 no matter how hard or close I tried.

IMO its an overblown issue. Even I can't hear hiss from the "hiss-king" JBL 305P from around 4 inches away from the tweeter in a background noise of ~28dBA. My DC 16" fan at slowest is clearly more audible from 1 meter.
I would say this issue is exactly opposite of overblown, it's rather ignored. What you're saying is entirely anegdotal, I could hear the hiss in every speaker I owned, including KH310, KH120, 8341, 8351, 8030, 8330, 8040, 8010, JBL 305 both versions, all ATCs I tried including SCM45 Pro just 3 days ago, Barefoots, you name it, just all active speakers I've ever heard had some level of idle noise. Would this be a problem is individual and depended on distance, background noise, hearing sensivity or/and loss, timbre of noise and expectations, but I still think not measuring idle noise on active speakers reviews done here to have a base for comparisons is a huge flaw. For example my 8 x 8330 hiss so much I'm only turning them on when I'm working or listening to Atmos and my Genelec W371A will be modified by Genelec to fit my expectation of how high end studio gear should work, but on the other hand Genelec 8351B are perfectly fine to me

Last edited:
OP
S

superbluecat

Try anything in your room at 12am with any AC turned off. If still dead silent you may want to worry a bit...

OP
S

superbluecat

I would say this issue is exactly opposite of overblown, it's rather ignored. What you're saying is entirely anegdotal, I could hear the hiss in every speaker I owned, including KH310, KH120, 8341, 8351, 8030, 8330, 8040, 8010, JBL 305 both versions, all ATCs I tried including SCM45 Pro just 3 days ago, Barefoots, you name it, just all active speakers I've ever heard had some level of idle noise. Would this be a problem is individual and depended on distance, background noise, hearing sensivity or/and loss, timbre of noise and expectations, but I still think not measuring idle noise on active speakers reviews done here to have a base for comparisons is a huge flaw. For example my 8 x 8330 hiss so much I'm only turning them on when I'm working or listening to Atmos and my Genelec W371A will be modified by Genelec to fit my expectation of how high end studio gear should work, but on the other hand Genelec 8351B are perfectly fine to me
I see. So that 17dB of KH 310 should be already cranked down. All Neumanns should have 20dB@10cm.

OP
S

superbluecat

I would continue if no exact data point... According to this review on bilibili, 【全网首测,K&L IN-UNF多定位娱乐混音监听音箱。-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/NgwQf1j, at 2:50, saying Kali IN UNF has same hiss as 8020.

Let's assume that all second wave large speakers cannot have lower power than those tiny ones. I guess they should be all around 25dB@10cm, which is the level of genelecs.

That is silent enough though, but not good enough for me. Considering listening at 0.95m, and the hiss of two speakers can add up.

test1223

I agree that self noise is one of the real problems of audio electronic. Especially cheaper active speakers in the near field is a critical combination.

You also have to be aware that there is a higher spread of self noise with lower cost electronics. One measurement of a golden review sample is not a guarantee that your speakers are also quiet. Some companies like Me Geithain, Neumann, Adam or Hedd care more than others...

Top Bottom