• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

MustBeDeaf

I tried with a few tracks to tell the two amps apart but I could not. In more careful ABX scenario where I can focus on specific segments I might do better. But in real-time testing, the two amps are the same. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
No seriously do you have any ABX report or something tangible at all? Anything but that anecdotal oneliner you just dropped?

MustBeDeaf

No the burden is on you to prove you can't hear a difference. You are still making a positive claim.

How does Amir know what people can hear and not hear? And what scientific experiments were done to prove Amir can't tell the difference between the amplifiers and therefore every other human can't, or if they say they can they are lying.

All we have is a bald assertion with zero evidence to back it up.

I thought this board was about science? Or has it succumbed to adhering to a particular dogma and someone who can never be questioned?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No the burden is on you to prove you can't hear a difference. You are still making a positive claim.

How does Amir know what people can hear and not hear? And what scientific experiments were done to prove Amir can't tell the difference between the amplifiers and therefore every other human can't, or if they say they can they are lying.

All we have is a bald assertion with zero evidence to back it up.

I thought this board was about science? Or has it succumbed to adhering to a particular dogma and someone who can never be questioned?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/
read through this thread before anything else

MustBeDeaf

I see distortion at 1khz below audibility. What kind of blind ABX testing did Amir do?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I see distortion at 1khz below audibility. What kind of blind ABX testing did Amir do?
Why don't you ask him in the appropriate thread rather than derailing this one.

The search function works well or you can make a thread and start a discussion.

Cheers

Ratatoskr

adi2dac has lower noise, better distortion with load, better volume control/channel balance.
Jason has posted about the 9 mm volume pots on the new Magnis. They are custom made by Alps to spec and the best he can find. RME ADI-2 is 10X cost of Heresy so not really a fair comparison. Heresy is great value.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Jason has posted about the 9 mm volume pots on the new Magnis. They are custom made by Alps to spec and the best he can find. RME ADI-2 is 10X cost of Heresy so not really a fair comparison. Heresy is great value.
But it's still a comparison. It indicates that the guy doesn't need to upgrade to a external amp.
BTW there are better pots, better way to use pots, better implementation to avoid imbalance etc
For example take 8 gang pot and put each 4 in parallel and add switchable extra series resistor for further attenuation.

ClosDeLaRoche

Would still be cool to have an Asgard sent to Amir :D as seen in this review there are some fluctuations comparing their own report against Amir's test suite.
Yeah that would be great, especially if he could get an Asgard 2 vs 3.

I used the 2 (Rev 1.4) for a long time and think it sounds fantastic. It's a soft, smooth sound. Not the most dynamic and certain sharp sounds can get smoothed over but always a pleasant, comfortable listen with good power in the bass.

The 2 applied negative feedback in low gain and no feedback in high gain, I've always been curious how that affects measurements.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
@T.M.Noble Any intention to send in Asgard 3 for testing? I have seen a lot of those being bought and they look good, would be curious to see how it stacks up against the Magni considering they are both SE.

No plans at the moment, but I could certainly be convinced if people here are interested. Either way, you will be seeing more Schiit products reviewed on ASR in the future.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
That’s the ASR effect baby, I called it years ago. Good to see more strong performers at the $99 price point, more competition is better for the consumer. That being said, the Heresy is garish, don’t understand why there isn’t an option for the standard silver.

Kinda went with the Heresy theme though don't ya think?

Top Bottom