• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Jotunheim 2 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Lotus97

Allergic reaction?

lol, too sharp and quick hitting with short lived dynamics with OP based amps, hate it. The Senns sound decent with OP based amps. I think cans with V shaped sound signature that are 150 ohm and higher should avoid them.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or no DAC at all.

What has that got to do with the price of eggs? The man was given a DAC/HPA combo to review. He reviewed it. He recommends the HPA element. He doesnt make much of the DAC side.

You take issue with what? People calling Schiit shit shit? They make good well priced stuff. They make overpriced shit too. This unit is result of the unholy union of the 2 sides of their work. A curates dog egg

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What has that got to do with the price of eggs? The man was given a DAC/HPA combo to review. He reviewed it. He recommends the HPA element. He doesnt make much of the DAC side.

You take issue with what? People calling Schiit shit shit? They make good well priced stuff. They make overpriced shit too. This unit is result of the unholy union of the 2 sides of their work. A curates dog egg

You seem upset.

Carry on

Lotus97

I agree with Amir's review of the DAC section. I think Schiit should have kept the DAC out of this unit completely , it can create lots of confusion for an avg buyer when they search for reviews.

After all said and done, imo this is still a better buy even with the DAC module over the $2500 SPL that was just reviewed and that says alot.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
I prefer AIO’s for various reasons, but there does seem to be a shortage of devices that have both high performing amps and DACs in the same box. Two that immediately come to mind (there are others) are the JDS Labs Element II, which is no longer SOTA but is well into the ”very good” range, and the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which is very, very good, but of course pricier (though you’re getting tons of extra functionality). If Schiit improves their DAC cards to where they’re at the same performance level as their amps, I think they’d compete very well as AIO’s. Imagine a Magnius and Modius in one box; now that would be cool.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I prefer AIO’s for various reasons, but there does seem to be a shortage of devices that have both high performing amps and DACs in the same box. Two that immediately come to mind (there are others) are the JDS Labs Element II, which is no longer SOTA but is well into the ”very good” range, and the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which is very, very good, but of course pricier (though you’re getting tons of extra functionality). If Schiit improves their DAC cards to where they’re at the same performance level as their amps, I think they’d compete very well as AIO’s. Imagine a Magnius and Modius in one box; now that would be cool.
A Modius and Jotunheim 2 in one box would be pretty cool too, at least if it has Toslink in or better yet, Toslink and USB-C

PeteL

Major Contributor
But do we know if the ak4490 module is poorly performing?

Zensō

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

panther

I want something fairly small to sit at my desk for headphones and to use as a DAC/preamp with Elac Navis speakers. Do I need to consider anything connecting into XLR with the Jotunheim 2 (I am not sure how much the variable voltage matters on XLR as I see some different specs on the following DAC/AMPS). In similar price range and size I see the DAC Magic 200m out now and the ifi Neo DSD, would either of those be a better option really? I don't do DSD or MQA. I just want something to nicely interface with the active speakers and work decently with Sennheiser HD 660s and possible a Martin Logan 800x sub.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I want something fairly small to sit at my desk for headphones and to use as a DAC/preamp with Elac Navis speakers. Do I need to consider anything connecting into XLR with the Jotunheim 2 (I am not sure how much the variable voltage matters on XLR as I see some different specs on the following DAC/AMPS). In similar price range and size I see the DAC Magic 200m out now and the ifi Neo DSD, would either of those be a better option really? I don't do DSD or MQA. I just want something to nicely interface with the active speakers and work decently with Sennheiser HD 660s and possible a Martin Logan 800x sub.
One of these with a 4490 card would do well in that application. I suppose you could even upgrade the DAC card when Schiit gets around to updating it. Modius/Magnius is another good combination. I don't know if I would get this with a Modius unless you really love the mains in or the silver finish. I never liked the look of the ifi stuff and it hasn't impressed me technically in any way.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The A30Pro has no DAC from what I see. Completely different product category that is trying to get people back to the Stone age of boxes on boxes on boxes... But it's also ridiculous what Schiit is doing by putting in a poorly engineered DAC for $200.

Still waiting for an actually valid budget baseline product: yes, it needs to have digital and analogue inputs, and analogue outputs, including a headphone jack, XLR, and RCA... And that's about as ultra barebones, nothing special, basic function as I'd want to go.

Looks like about $500 is the barrier to entry for a unit like this with good measurements all around. (Topping DX7 pro.)

Last edited:

PuX

Completely different product category that is trying to get people back to the Stone age of boxes on boxes on boxes...
why would having separate components be a problem? you can at least replace the DAC or the amp, you don't have to throw the whole thing out if something breaks or some new device comes along and is better in some way.

if you insist on a competent combo unit, JDS Labs Element II is what you want most likely.

Kadent

Been meaning to ask, on these units that have both SE and BAL out, how are each measured? Like for instance, is balanced output power measured only in one channel or combined? And same goes for SE, one channel or combined.

Top Bottom