• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Jotunheim 2 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Quomz

Been meaning to ask, on these units that have both SE and BAL out, how are each measured? Like for instance, is balanced output power measured only in one channel or combined? And same goes for SE, one channel or combined.
You can see both channels in the graph, check the labels on the right. I guess the value Amir notes down is from the cursor positioned on of of the channel graphs.

BubbaJay

I just got the Jot2 today and with my iFi Neo Dac all the headphones I've tried so far sound good with the Arya and AP2000ti sounding the best and the LSA HP-2 close behind.

As long as I don't hear any distortion I could careless how it measures if it sounds good and the Jot2 sounds good. I think the iFi Neo is one of the best Dacs you can get under $1000 because of how clean and clear it sounds and even though some other Dacs I have might measure better they don't sound better and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Dana reed

I just got the Jot2 today and with my iFi Neo Dac all the headphones I've tried so far sound good with the Arya and AP2000ti sounding the best and the LSA HP-2 close behind.

As long as I don't hear any distortion I could careless how it measures if it sounds good and the Jot2 sounds good. I think the iFi Neo is one of the best Dacs you can get under $1000 because of how clean and clear it sounds and even though some other Dacs I have might measure better they don't sound better and that's all that matters at the end of the day.
While whether something sounds good to someone is subjective as has been beaten to death here, I agree that once a DAC or Amp's SINAD is below audibility, you don't get any more points for making something less audible, just because the AP can measure it. At that point it's all about features/usability/other factors to decide what to buy
That said, my Jot 1 is plenty good, and even though the Jot 2 measures better, and my own THX789 measures better, I still find good use for the Jot 1 with everything except maybe the most sensitive IEMs, where the volume adjustment even at low gain is touchy without employing digital volume reduction.

mightygrey

Hi guys, I'm hoping I might get some help from the brains on this thread with regards to figuring out how the analogue signal from the DAC/phono cards on the Jotunheim is sent to the input on the amplifier. Each of the modular cards uses a ten-pin connector which connects to a matching female input on the amplifier board, which I can see is then routed to the 'input' switch.

Assuming that the USB is bus-powered by the source device, I'm trying to find out how one might use the card by itself to install into other devices - for example, a Bottlehead Crack tube amp. How might I test the 'pin-out' on this connector to route to the left/right/ground inputs on an amp? Is this a common connector, and might I easily find a part which could adapt the ten-pins to an RCA or a more common four-pin arrangement?

@amirm - any advice here?

1618865883649.png

1618865931099.png

Last edited:

sjeesjie

I’m looking for a headphone amp with phono input and a pre-out. Would this Jotunheim be my best choise?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m looking for a headphone amp with phono input and a pre-out. Would this Jotunheim be my best choise?
The jds atom, topping L30 and others are far cheaper and arguably better.

sjeesjie

That’s right, it needs to have a phono stage. I wonder if the phono stage of the Jot 2 is good though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s right, it needs to have a phono stage. I wonder if the phono stage of the Jot 2 is good though.
My bad- good spot @Veri . In my tiny mind I had thought RCA input. But yes, you can get the phono module Jot. No idea how it stacks up to standalone phono stages though.

bboris77

I have a couple of very technical questions about the Jot 2 that I would appreciate some assistance with:

1. Does anyone know how much of Class A bias it is running in mW? I know that the Asgard 3 runs 500mW, but there is no mention about it on the Jotunheim 2 page.

2. Does it have any form of headphone protection circuit like the IEMagni/ Lyr 3?

Asylum Seeker

You figure Schitt knows the DAC is kinda lame. Why do they put it in such a good amp?

bboris77

So, the updated DAC module is out, using the ES9028 chip. According to Schiit, it will be outputting 2V in single-ended and 4V in balanced mode. Here are the specs, when used in Jotunheim 2:

Optional ES9028 DAC:
USB Input Receiver: Schiit Unison USB™
D/A Conversion IC: ESS ES9028
Analog Output: differential I/V conversion based on LME49724, switchable summed SE mode
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB
THD: <0.0006%, 20Hz-20KHz
IMD: <0.0006%, CCIR
S/N: >115dB, referenced to 2V RMS, unweighted

This is better than the previous solution:

Optional Dual AK4490 DAC:
USB Input Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
D/A Conversion IC: AK4490 x 2Input Capability: up to 24/192
Analog Output: fully differential, active summing and filtering
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB, 2-100kHz, -3dB
THD: <0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, full scale
IMD: <0.001%, CCIR
S/N: >108dB, referenced to 2V RMS, unweighted

This looks like good news for people who absolutely insist on having an all-in-one unit. @T.M.Noble, it would be interesting to see some measurements as well if possible.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ES9028 version is also a lot cleaner than the Multibit version. If I owned any previous version of this add-on DAC board, I would definitely upgrade to the new ESS one.

Optional Multibit DAC:
D/A Conversion IC: Analog Devices AD5547
Digital Filter: Schiit Comboburrito Time- and Frequency-domain Optimized DSP filter
Input Capability: up to 24/192
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.25dB, 2-100kHz, -3dB
THD: <0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, full scale
IMD: <0.006%, CCIR
S/N: >109dB, referenced to 2V RMS, unweighted

Veri

Master Contributor
So, the updated DAC module is out, using the ES9028 chip. According to Schiit, it will be outputting 2V in single-ended and 4V in balanced mode. Here are the specs, when used in Jotunheim 2:

Optional ES9028 DAC:
USB Input Receiver: Schiit Unison USB™
D/A Conversion IC: ESS ES9028
Analog Output: differential I/V conversion based on LME49724, switchable summed SE mode
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB
THD: <0.0006%, 20Hz-20KHz
IMD: <0.0006%, CCIR
S/N: >115dB, referenced to 2V RMS, unweighted

This is better than the previous solution:

Optional Dual AK4490 DAC:
D/A Conversion IC: AK4490 x 2Input Capability: up to 24/192
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB, 2-100kHz, -3dB
THD: <0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, full scale
IMD: <0.001%, CCIR
S/N: >108dB, referenced to 2V RMS, unweighted

This looks like good news for people who absolutely insist on having an all-in-one unit. @T.M.Noble, it would be interesting to see some measurements as well if possible.
Measurements now here under Specs:
https://www.schiit.com/products/es9028-dac-card

Note: output from amplifier so this is not the direct measured DAC output but rather the combination as all-in-one.

panther

If you connect an external DAC through the XLR input and active speakers to the XLR output will the SE output also work to a sub at the same time? I was thinking of one but noticed the front toggle switches between SE and Balanced input, not both at the same time.

Dana reed

If you connect an external DAC through the XLR input and active speakers to the XLR output will the SE output also work to a sub at the same time? I was thinking of one but noticed the front toggle switches between SE and Balanced input, not both at the same time.
The switch toggles the inputs, but both sets of preouts work at the same time, regardless of input

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you not save money by buying a good DAC that has XLR and RCA outs (Soncoz QXD1 for eg)- but then again you dont get a headamp.

Phoney

So I was going to order Modius for my Jotunheim 2, but it would take 2 months for it to be here.. I prefer a dac with XLR outputs, and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of when trying to pick out a dac to combo with it? Or will any decent dac with XLR outputs work well with this amp?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I was going to order Modius for my Jotunheim 2, but it would take 2 months for it to be here.. I prefer a dac with XLR outputs, and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of when trying to pick out a dac to combo with it? Or will any decent dac with XLR outputs work well with this amp?
Topping D90SE is SOTA for $900. Topping D30 Pro is excellent for $400. I would consider either of those. Both are a lot more expensive than Modius though. Not sure if you need it to be in the same price range.

As far as audible differences, it doesn't really matter which properly designed DAC you get; only bad designs have an audible sound signature. Anything from Topping, Loxjie, SMSL, Gustard, JSD labs, and some others will probably sound the same.

I can't hear a difference in my Modi 3, Modius, Hel, Echo Link, Focustite Scarlett 2i2, etc when level matched. It mostly boils down to build, features, and specs that don't add much objectively to sound but suggest engineering competence for me.

Top Bottom