• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hd 600 dac amp xlr mic input combo

Nerzyman

Hi I am wondering what the best option for hd600 headphones would be. Looking for a dac amp xlr mic input combo stack or unit. Single unit combo preferred. I like the schiit hel but it has no xlr input for mic. Was using creative ae-9 however it doesn’t work for windows 11 for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers~

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Nerzyman! Welcome to ASR.

What you're looking for is an audio interface.

Julian Krause on YouTube has the best resources and measurements of those.

OP
N

Nerzyman

Thank you! I will take a look
Hi @Nerzyman! Welcome to ASR.

What you're looking for is an audio interface.

Julian Krause on YouTube has the best resources and measurements of those.
I will say I am looking for headphone amp for my hd 600s with a xlr mic input for gaming primarily, not recording music like an audio interface would typically be focused on. Would dac not be the route?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I will say I am looking for headphone amp for my hd 600s with a xlr mic input for gaming primarily, not recording music like an audio interface would typically be focused on. Would dac not be the route?
A DAC can only output audio. If you want one box for both the headphone and XLR mic, then you need an interface.

There are interfaces made specifically for content creation/gaming, for example the Elgato Wave XLR.

However, there's no reason why a traditional audio interface made for recording music, cannot be used for gaming. As far as I'm concerned, it would work just as well.

For an interface with a very high quality headphone amp built-in, take a look at the Topping E2x2 or the E1x2.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
DACs do not have an XLR microphone inputs, as staticV3 says, for that you want an audio interface. However, for gaming, do you specifically need an XLR microphone? Do you already have one?

If not, why not buy any DAC you like and get a USB microphone, that does not need an XLR input and phantom power?

For example: https://www.soundguys.com/best-usb-microphone-7977/

Also:

Or: https://www.soundguys.com/sennheiser-xs-lav-usb-c-review-58638/

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Scarlett 212 recently and tested the headphone output with a Sennheiser HD700. I could only go to 50 percent volume on it before it was too loud. It's got RCA 1/4" balanced outputs, but I doubt most would need more power for headphones than the onboard amplifier it's got. It's also got two XLR mic inputs with phantom power available if needed. I was impressed by how good it sounded. Best price currently on the Gen3 is Amazon for $129 for a used one (in the right side column).

Top Bottom