• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Jotunheim 2 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a better performing device like this with the same capabilities? Seems most dacs lack balanced speaker outputs, and checking on the higher performers in the chart, they either are standalone (not a dac+amp) or lack the output options.

You know its a headphone amp/ preamp with a built in DAC module, not a speaker amp?

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want to wrap this up here. Bottom line is Schiit is a budget brand. They've been outdone by other companies in this space which grows more competitive by the day. Just look at the ranking graphs. Aside some strides they've made with the Hearesy, Magnius, and Modius it's their clever marketing and humor that drive their sales. They have released several amps over the past 2 years and the highest they've climbed on the Amir's 50mV SNR chart is 13th place:

View attachment 118148

And that was their $99 Hearesy which is an IC topolgy. The Jot comes in at 28th place. There's a bevy of products that cost far less and deliver better performance than the Jot 2 including within the Schiit lineup. I really don't see a compelling case for Jot amp and that's all I have to say on the matter. :)

And yet, according to your chart, the Jot2 manages to edge out the $12,000 (!) Mola Mola Tambaqui.

You're so observant ;)

I try. ;)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet the Jot2 still edges out the $12,000 (!) Mola Mola Tambaqui.

Well, on that metric, yup. And pretty much every other metric you care to look at regarding being a headphone amp. The MM single biggest issue as a headamp though is the HP socket being on the back!!!

However, if you consider the MM as first and foremost a DAC (which I think is how they pitch it)- then it Schiits all over this particular one. As well it should!

But I agree, dont put a HP out on something that doesnt live up to the main function of the device.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Well, on that metric, yup. And pretty much every other metric you care to look at regarding being a headphone amp. The MM single biggest issue as a headamp though is the HP socket being on the back!!!

However, if you consider the MM as first and foremost a DAC (which I think is how they pitch it)- then it Schiits all over this particular one. As well it should!

But I agree, dont put a HP out on something that doesnt live up to the main function of the device.

I agree, but for $12k, I'd expect stellar performance across the board. MM failed miserably IMO. Let's remember the Jot2 in it's most expensive configuration costs, what, $600?

I don't like comparing price though. The rankings are the rankings. If someone posts a chart complaining that there are 'better' alternatives that cost less, then it is fair to point out, using the same metric, that there are also much more expensive alternatives that rank lower.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Is there a better performing device like this with the same capabilities? Seems most dacs lack balanced speaker outputs, and checking on the higher performers in the chart, they either are standalone (not a dac+amp) or lack the output options.
If you’re wanting a preamp for powered monitors (which it sounds like you must be), there are quite a few options. You may want to consider the RME Babyface Pro, which is just about perfect as a balanced monitor controller, and also has a pair of pretty good headphone outputs and a bunch of other ADC functionality.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but for $12k, I'd expect stellar performance across the board. MM failed miserably IMO. Let's remember the Jot2 in it's most expensive configuration costs, what, $600?

Yup. But again, the Jot is a headamp with an optional (sub standard) DAC card, the MM is a DAC with a (sub standard) HP socket. Not really apples and apples but still a poor show on that front from the MM.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Yup. But again, the Jot is a headamp with an optional (sub standard) DAC card, the MM is a DAC with a (sub standard) HP socket. Not really apples and apples but still a poor show on that front from the MM.

But we can't do this every time for every product, can we. We have a metric. The positions are plotted on a chart.

Is ASR going to start adding asterisks to the charts?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But we can't do this every time for every product, can we. We have a metric. The positions are plotted on a chart.

Is ASR going to start adding asterisks to the charts?

Cant do what? Im not sure what your point is. Dont buy the MM for its HP amp, dont buy the Jot for its DAC. Dont sell an organ for the MM even as a DAC because, guess what, youd be hard pressed to tell it apart from most other DACs with your eyes shut.

No need for asterisks. We read the reviews , we look at the measurements , we draw our conclusions , we buy/ audition or we dont.

Im buying neither (I have a used Jot 1, no DAC. I dont have an £xx000 DAC but I have others near the top of the list) . The measurements are the measurements. They tell me what I need to know.

Lotus97

Cant do what? Im not sure what your point is. Dont buy the MM for its HP amp, dont buy the Jot for its DAC. Dont sell an organ for the MM even as a DAC because, guess what, youd be hard pressed to tell it apart from most other DACs with your eyes shut.

No need for asterisks. We read the reviews , we look at the measurements , we draw our conclusions , we buy/ audition or we dont.

Im buying neither (I have a used Jot 1, no DAC. I dont have an £xx000 DAC but I have others near the top of the list) . The measurements are the measurements. They tell me what I need to know.
I think this device should be judged as a headphone amp imo, the DAC board is something you want to add or not to save space.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this device should be judged as a headphone amp imo, the DAC board is something you want to add or not to save space.

Well, no, it should be judged as whatever it is. See the convo before that post. The DAC modules are either $100 or $200 more than the base unit depending what option you go for. So judge this one (the $599) as a $400 HPA and a $200 DAC. The DAC isnt worth the money. The HPA may well be.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This^. This is my point.

Yes. This particular unit is a very decent powerful HPA with an overpriced under performing DAC module . I'm still not sure what your point is. Thats not my opinion. Thats what the measurements say.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

Agreed. And that's how I viewed it before the ASR review. The DAC is optional, only considered if one wants an AOI unit. (my take)

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Yes. This particular unit is a very decent powerful HPA with an overpriced under performing DAC module . I'm still not sure what your point is. Thats not my opinion. Thats what the measurements say.

Or no DAC at all.

Lotus97

Well, no, it should be judged as whatever it is. See the convo before that post. The DAC modules are either $100 or $200 more than the base unit depending what option you go for. So judge this one (the $599) as a $400 HPA and a $200 DAC. The DAC isnt worth the money. The HPA may well be.
Even if they charged $100 I would not go with the DAC section, I prefer standalone DAC and AMP cuz you can always switch devices. But for an average user this can still be a huge upgrade over onboard stuff they put in motherboards and cheap sound cards if they willing to invest $499 with standard DAC, I think its a solid upgrade.

Top Bottom