• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Oh, you'll definitely notice it...

I happen to like it, or at least don't mind it at all. The remote is also not like the normal toy remote either. Overall, I like mine a lot... The clicks are pretty cool.
Yeah. Your gonna hear it, but it is a nice solid fast mechanical click-clack. I like it too.

SineWave

PS.
The Emotiva remote looks like it was made for a cheap $50 bluetooth speaker. It's plastic and takes a button cell battery.

SineWave

I happen to like it, or at least don't mind it at all. The remote is also not like the normal toy remote either. Overall, I like mine a lot... The clicks are pretty cool.

Cool! And I know if I don't, it won't be like Emotiva where I need to keep spinning it forever! lol

AudioTodd

Agreed. Clicks are no louder than those on the Benchmark LA4, made by a company that prides itself on low noise circuits but considers such clicks an unavoidable part of the design of the best volume control they can make, and are easily ignored as I am focused on getting the right music volume set rather than the transitory sound on the control.

SineWave

I'd order the Freya + today but....

I've been laid off since Covid and decided to learn C#, Java and some Dev tools (I was in IT and know other less popular language) to expand my skills and be more marketable. Plus take some time off to enjoy life. I have money saved off so I can live off it for a few years, but I've been slacking off on my coding/training. I don't want to get carried away with purchasing stuff.

So I set coding/training goals. Every time I reach a goal, I get to purchase something :)
But...all I do is surf the net looking at Preamps, subwoofers, camera gear, telescope gear... :(

PeteL

Major Contributor
Agreed. Clicks are no louder than those on the Benchmark LA4, made by a company that prides itself on low noise circuits but considers such clicks an unavoidable part of the design of the best volume control they can make, and are easily ignored as I am focused on getting the right music volume set rather than the transitory sound on the control.
I like them especially since the marking on the volume pot is invisible at listening distance. It provides feedback on how much volume change I had done.

win

The clicks are very loud.

In terms of the modes, Freya+ has the passive mode which measures extremely well obviously, and this is the same as the Freya s passive. Then they both have a ~unity gain buffer setting, both very good with the S being slightly better. For the third mode, the + has the tubes, which are really not very tube sounding, and the S has a gain mode that didn't measure very well compared to no gain.

You can replace the volume knob, I found that this one improved the look of the unit and had a better hand feel and a bit larger.

Uxcell a15020500ux0472 Aluminium... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0147XGEFA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Attachments

• 4EE3DF0C-843F-49F6-B0C9-4A8DC4A82B79.jpeg
    4EE3DF0C-843F-49F6-B0C9-4A8DC4A82B79.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 299

SineWave

The clicks are very loud.

In terms of the modes, Freya+ has the passive mode which measures extremely well obviously, and this is the same as the Freya s passive. Then they both have a ~unity gain buffer setting, both very good with the S being slightly better. For the third mode, the + has the tubes, which are really not very tube sounding, and the S has a gain mode that didn't measure very well compared to no gain.

You can replace the volume knob, I found that this one improved the look of the unit and had a better hand feel and a bit larger.

Uxcell a15020500ux0472 Aluminium... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0147XGEFA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Hmm... that seems like a cool idea!

Feanor

Forum Donor

To my non-golden ear, the Freya +'s Passive mode sounds like the source. The +'s tube effect is quite restrained but still delivers a good measure of the tube so-called "holographic" effect.

Does you pic show "tube savers" and replacement tubes? The knob you suggest is nice but still doesn't have a clear mark so one can see the degree of rotation from across the room. My solution to that isn't very esthetic but works well ...
1601769209191.png

win

To my non-golden ear, the Freya +'s Passive mode sounds like the source. The +'s tube effect is quite restrained but still delivers a good measure of the tube so-called "holographic" effect.

Does you pic show "tube savers" and replacement tubes? The knob you suggest is nice but still doesn't have a clear mark so one can see the degree of rotation from across the room. My solution to that isn't very esthetic but works well ...
View attachment 86028

indeed, they are socket savers aka tube savers. I have two per tube, mainly while I roll tubes and choose a favorite. It will look nicer once I remove them, but it's hard to roll tubes without them, otherwise you risk scratching the glass, and with how recessed they are in addition to the aperture size, you can't even rock them out like you typically would. Some tubes won't even fit without them. Anyway they are available here.

Vacuum Tube Socket Saver, 8... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IYPLH0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

maybe you could mount a little tritium dot from an old watch hand to solve your indication problem

Tritium-watch.jpg

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Personally I find the Schiit knob to be better than I expected in finish an I just use my ears to set volume. It is nice the spindle is compatible with generic knobs so that if the OEM knob ever has a failure or shortcoming, I can just swap it out... and of course a Sharpie always works too. Easy to modify, easy to replace, and quite nice in its own.

Feanor

Forum Donor
indeed, they are socket savers aka tube savers. I have two per tube, mainly while I roll tubes and choose a favorite. It will look nicer once I remove them, but it's hard to roll tubes without them, otherwise you risk scratching the glass, and with how recessed they are in addition to the aperture size, you can't even rock them out like you typically would. Some tubes won't even fit without them. Anyway they are available here.

Vacuum Tube Socket Saver, 8... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IYPLH0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Yes, thanks: "socket savers" more correctly.

My Freya + came with the Tung Sol 6SC7GBT tubes, (some people got JJ's). I'll live with them for a few months before I even consider tube rolling. I know that tube rolling can make a subtle but perceptible difference having done the a few years back with another tube preamp.

Let us know if you have some favorite tubes and why. There are a huge variety of tubes available and people's preference are bewildering. I presume the input+gain stage is more critical than the cathode follower stage. I have to wonder, though, about the sense of spending $100+ per tube on what is a budget, (though very good), component.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
... I have to wonder, though, about the sense of spending $100+ per tube on what is a budget, (though very good), component.

I tend to think of tubes as a component in their own. I am not proposing this is so, but that is how I think of it. They amplify (or rectify) and glow while the actual component does the rest. The amplification and glow are pretty important to me, though the component usualy does more to sound. I would not think twice about spending more on tubes than a component, but I probably would not go much over $120 for a 6SN7 or CV181.

For Freya, I would do a pair of special tubes and a pair of ordinary tubes, and I would not be quick to perceive any sonic differences. If you do a Google video search for Freya tube rolling there are a lot of AB clips, and blind, I usually don't hear much if anything.

I like Sylvania JANs because I used to work on helicopters with a guy who had worked in their glass ribbon plant in Pennsylvania before the work went to China and he would always explain details of the incredible continuous process operations on the glass ribbon production line.

I like to think they sound better, but I would run some measurements and do some rigourous blind testing before I concluded they do.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

maybe you could mount a little tritium dot from an old watch hand to solve your indication problem

Tritium-watch.jpg

Superglue one of these tritium vials on the knob. Or a little dab of this luminescent paint.

Martin

PeteL

Major Contributor
Just realized outputs do not all stay on. I was thinking of Modius DAC... so this will not work like that.
Not sure what you mean by the output don't stay on? I have not experienced much with it, but according to schiit you can use both outs simultaneously. The also state that the passive mode don't convert single ended to balance, I'm not sur if this mean it would disable the xlr outs in that mode with a rca source, or if it just means that the signal is not differential anymore like a simple rca to xlr adapter cable. May you give a bit more explanations on what you mean?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Not sure what you mean by the output don't stay on? I have not experienced much with it, but according to schiit you can use both outs simultaneously. The also state that the passive mode don't convert single ended to balance, I'm not sur if this mean it would disable the xlr outs in that mode with a rca source, or if it just means that the signal is not differential anymore like a simple rca to xlr adapter cable. May you give a bit more explanations on what you mean?
I misread the freya manual. Post deleted.

SineWave

Yes, thanks: "socket savers" more correctly.

My Freya + came with the Tung Sol 6SC7GBT tubes, (some people got JJ's). I'll live with them for a few months before I even consider tube rolling. I know that tube rolling can make a subtle but perceptible difference having done the a few years back with another tube preamp.

Let us know if you have some favorite tubes and why. There are a huge variety of tubes available and people's preference are bewildering. I presume the input+gain stage is more critical than the cathode follower stage. I have to wonder, though, about the sense of spending $100+ per tube on what is a budget, (though very good), component.

Do you know why some people got the JJs? Wondering if that was an option or if the Tung Sol were out of stock.

I only started recently looking at this pre seriously.
I see the description at the website as:
"Freya+’s all-new tube stage with new-production 6SN7 tubes,"

I'm also a little confused as to what JJ is. Are JJ and and Tung Sol both name brands? Or is the JJ the same as GBT in 6SC7GBT and N7 in 6SN7? Sorry for so many questions.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Do you know why some people got the JJs? Wondering if that was an option or if the Tung Sol were out of stock.

I only started recently looking at this pre seriously.
I see the description at the website as:
"Freya+’s all-new tube stage with new-production 6SN7 tubes,"

I'm also a little confused as to what JJ is. Are JJ and and Tung Sol both name brands? Or is the JJ the same as GBT in 6SC7GBT and N7 in 6SN7? Sorry for so many questions.
JJ are cheaper tubes made in Slovakia. Tung Sol are made in Russia to a classic USA design. Schiit changed to save on cost figuring many customers do not care and there is no objective benefit to the Tung Sol. Also, you can buy and put whatever you want in there anyway.

We should have the tube discussion here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/freya.16351/

Or here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/4-new-schiit-preamps.7676/

This thread is about the now discontinued Freya S, which does not have tubes.

Last edited:

SineWave

JJ are cheaper tubes made in Slovakia. Tung Sol are made in Russia to a classic USA design. Schiit changed to save on cost figuring many customers do not care and there is no objective benefit to the Tung Sol. Also, you can buy and put whatever you want in there anyway.

We should have the tube discussion here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/freya.16351/

Or here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/4-new-schiit-preamps.7676/

This thread is about the now discontinued Freya S, which does not have tubes.

thanks. I started writing my last post at the link you provided, but wanted to reply specifically to your post here.

Top Bottom