• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

RickD

I glad I bought one in late July. I didn't want a tube version as I leave the power on continuously. It would be an issue for wifey. I wish it had a trigger input/output.

win

I glad I bought one in late July. I didn't want a tube version as I leave the power on continuously. It would be an issue for wifey. I wish it had a trigger input/output.

You can always just cycle the unit to passive mode if you don't want it to run the tubes. Note that this is only on the Freya+ and not the older original version.

I would agree that the 12v triggering would be nice. But then they would probably need a soft power switch, instead of a toggle switch hidden on the back :)

SineWave

What's that based on?

It's based on AnLaoJin really being Samoyed.
His rude and uncalled for post replies to T.M.Nobile (Schiit) was submitted as his former user id: "Samoyed"

Samoyed last post was a very rude post to TM, which was on March 5 (post #177 on this thread).
But he was last seen about 2 weeks later, on March 18th (as noted in his profile).

"AnLaoJin" joined March 18 (same day as Samoyed's "last time seen" date). This user's 1st comment on this thread, also being his 1st day as a member, is in line with someone who's would've had a heated argument with TM.

Today is my 1st day and I noticed this because I read most of this thread from start to finish and so maybe it is all fresh in my head so easy to spot.

I can see how from reading his website and from what he wrote in this thread ("nonchalance and cheeky tone to everything we do. We are also very opinionated. That can (sometimes) alienate people and be ill received.") that some people might, like he said, be alienated, but there is NOTHING I read here that should have made any customer behave like Samoyed had.

AnnnnnnyWay...

So for weeks now (and from time to time over the last few years), I have thought to purchase some Schiit products.

About 2 weeks ago I got the $100 DAC for my PC because my Adam Audio monitor speakers had a lot of hum without one. I love it and my GF thinks it looks cute (being so small compared to an Emotiva pre-amp I purchased just for the PC/monitors. But I found a use for the Emotiva: I needed to use it on my 20 year old (but nice) HT receiver just for controlling the volume with the remote. The IR receiver in the HT receiver (not the RC's) no longer works ).

I've also been thinking to get the Freya for some time. But now thinking to get the +
My Prima Luna Prologue One integrated amp does not have a remote. This amp already has tubes. Adding the Freya +, would that be too many tubes? As in having too may different tubes affecting the sound?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's based on AnLaoJin really being Samoyed.
His rude and uncalled for post replies to T.M.Nobile (Schiit) was submitted as his former user id: "Samoyed"

Samoyed last post was a very rude post to TM, which was on March 5 (post #177 on this thread).
But he was last seen about 2 weeks later, on March 18th (as noted in his profile).

"AnLaoJin" joined March 18 (same day as Samoyed's "last time seen" date). This user's 1st comment on this thread, also being his 1st day as a member, is in line with someone who's would've had a heated argument with TM.

Today is my 1st day and I noticed this because I read most of this thread from start to finish and so maybe it is all fresh in my head so easy to spot.

I can see how from reading his website and from what he wrote in this thread ("nonchalance and cheeky tone to everything we do. We are also very opinionated. That can (sometimes) alienate people and be ill received.") that some people might, like he said, be alienated, but there is NOTHING I read here that should have made any customer behave like Samoyed had.

AnnnnnnyWay...

So for weeks now (and from time to time over the last few years), I have thought to purchase some Schiit products.

About 2 weeks ago I got the $100 DAC for my PC because my Adam Audio monitor speakers had a lot of hum without one. I love it and my GF thinks it looks cute (being so small compared to an Emotiva pre-amp I purchased just for the PC/monitors. But I found a use for the Emotiva: I needed to use it on my 20 year old (but nice) HT receiver just for controlling the volume with the remote. The IR receiver in the HT receiver (not the RC's) no longer works ).

I've also been thinking to get the Freya for some time. But now thinking to get the +
My Prima Luna Prologue One integrated amp does not have a remote. This amp already has tubes. Adding the Freya +, would that be too many tubes? As in having too may different tubes affecting the sound?
Freya S is discontinued now. Freya+ is more neutral than a lot of other tube gear. You can run Freya+ passively as volume attenuator and source selector, so there is no way it will degrade what you hear, and you might like the tube gain option. It would integrate fine with the Prima Luna. I have a Saga S and can say the remote and attenuator are super nice. I am thinking about putting a Freya+ with my tube amp, but... choices.

gvl

Major Contributor
While it is not often the case passive can certainly degrade what you hear, depending on the gear it's connected to and the length of interconnects.

eduardw

Forum Donor
Are the first two gain stages of the freya+ the same as the freya S? I was looking at the freyaS as a possible replacement of my 8 year old parasound 2100. I was also considering the emotiva xsp-1 but that one is also discontinued. I hope my parasound will keep working for some additional months.

AudioTodd

Freya S is discontinued now. Freya+ is more neutral than a lot of other tube gear. You can run Freya+ passively as volume attenuator and source selector, so there is no way it will degrade what you hear, and you might like the tube gain option. It would integrate fine with the Prima Luna. I have a Saga S and can say the remote and attenuator are super nice. I am thinking about putting a Freya+ with my tube amp, but... choices.
I agree completely. I have all 3 versions of Saga and think they are great pieces and great value. I use the Saga S mostly as just a passive remote controlled attenuator for old school tube and hybrid preamps I like to play with. As noted above by another poster, there are situations where a passive attenuator can degrade performance, but it isn’t likely if cable runs are short and the input/output impedances of the associated gear are not oddball values. Even then, the buffer in the S seems very neutral and even the tube on the original Saga measured pretty darn good. The Schiit stuff is great for those of us with decades worth of hardware we like to play with from time to time and are really affordable for those starting out.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While it is not often the case passive can certainly degrade what you hear, depending on the gear it's connected to and the length of interconnects.
Yeah, but this is excellent passive attenuator and we know the gear is a tube amp.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the first two gain stages of the freya+ the same as the freya S? I was looking at the freyaS as a possible replacement of my 8 year old parasound 2100. I was also considering the emotiva xsp-1 but that one is also discontinued. I hope my parasound will keep working for some additional months.
The active solid state gain is different. The Freya S measured better but inaudibly, IIRC.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the quick reply. For now I would love to see a future replacement of the Freya S with HT bypass. and maybe even a subwoofer in and out.
I dont think that is coming. They dropped the S because the + sold better, and with 115dB SNR tube gain and 120 passive, the + is fine objectively. The outputs are all on all the time so if you have stereo rca inputs, gain and crossover settings on sub you would be fine.

Seems like passive mode max volume would give the same result as HT bypass, but I am not certain about that function definition.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'll be needing an active preamp before too long and was counting on the solid state Saga or Freya depending on funds and balanced needs. PLEASE don't say they're gone as I've done the valvey thing decades ago and seriously don't ever want it again!!! Exposed valves/tubes are effin' magnets for damage too this end ;)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be needing an active preamp before too long and was counting on the solid state Saga or Freya depending on funds and balanced needs. PLEASE don't say they're gone as I've done the valvey thing decades ago and seriously don't ever want it again!!! Exposed valves/tubes are effin' magnets for damage too this end ;)
Keep an eye on the B stock and deals. There have been Saga Ss on there lately.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Many thanks for the suggestion, but I just can't do it right now - damn!!!!! It's just nice to know the option was there at the low costs, even exported to the UK/Europe. If I want a pretty transparent valve preamp here I'll buy a Croft, but then the R is better in phono stage subtlety than the standard one (double the price) and then the RS is better again heard sighted despite the hornets nest in the power supply box (yeah, I know and I've owned two older softer toned Croft preamps in my time)! I don't want to go through all this cr@p again after years in the industry and that's where Schiit comes in, as they're quite able to design properly measuring stuff as well as 'nice sounding but worse measuring' stuff for the audiophiles who only trust their ears...

AudioTodd

Many thanks for the suggestion, but I just can't do it right now - damn!!!!! It's just nice to know the option was there at the low costs, even exported to the UK/Europe. If I want a pretty transparent valve preamp here I'll buy a Croft, but then the R is better in phono stage subtlety than the standard one (double the price) and then the RS is better again heard sighted despite the hornets nest in the power supply box (yeah, I know and I've owned two older softer toned Croft preamps in my time)! I don't want to go through all this cr@p again after years in the industry and that's where Schiit comes in, as they're quite able to design properly measuring stuff as well as 'nice sounding but worse measuring' stuff for the audiophiles who only trust their ears...
Remember that the Freya + can be run with just the unity-gain solid state buffer. I think the tubes turn off in that case and, if you really want to dispense with the tubes, just pull them out and maybe put rubber plugs in the openings!

DSJR

Major Contributor
As long as it's not a 'passive attenuator' as my power amps hum with increasing volume when thus driven ;)

SineWave

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the S is disco, and that is why I am now thinking of the + instead.

My ideal preamp would be where you have a physical volume dial as such:
1- a physical indicator as to where it is set (so not the newer kinds that display the volume on a screen).
2- an actual light in the dial to indicate what position the dial is in
3 - numbers around the dial (1 to 10...even better if it went all the way to 11 ;) )
4- an metal arrow next to the light
So just like this old Onkyo TX-82 I owned:
1444577-1988-onkyo-tx82-quartz-synthesized-tuner-amplifier-receiver-japaneseincludes-shipping.jpg

I was hoping (since around 2000 with he P3) that Parasound Halo would come out with something like that. The P3 had maybe 20 increments in its volume control and so hard to dial in the exact volume desired. And hiss. There's always something I didn't like about the Parasounds. But they looked cool.

But this Schiit preamp is close to what I'd like in a volume control.

I'm just hoping the volume clicks are not too distracting. How loud are they? Is it noticeable if you are about 10 feet away with music volume at around background levels low enough to have conversation with friends?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm just hoping the volume clicks are not too distracting. How loud are they? Is it noticeable if you are about 10 feet away with music volume at around background levels low enough to have conversation with friends?

Oh, you'll definitely notice it...

I happen to like it, or at least don't mind it at all. The remote is also not like the normal toy remote either. Overall, I like mine a lot... The clicks are pretty cool.

SineWave

As mentioned in my 1st post a few posts above, I do have an Emotiva pre-amp PT-100. I'm not crazy about it. If I knew about the volume behavior before purchasing it, I would not have gotten it. To turn it from 0 to all the way up, I need to rotate the dial 360 degrees at total of 8 times. Yeah, I know, I'll never need to do that in the real world, but just giving you an idea how it would be in the real world. Watching TV, the volume can change drastically when commercials start, or when changing channels, source or TV apps (HBO is so damn LOUD!!, lol) it takes some time to adjust. Plus the remote works only in a small field of view.

I also noticed that when I moved it from under my PC monitor and then decided to use it for my TV just for volume control, the screen is really hard to read because now it is further away from my seating position. I noticed that there is a dimmer that was set to 50% by default. So I maxed it out. Looks better now. But... The volume stays maxed and after the volume change is made, the display returns to source selection - as expected. BUT, the displays shows the selection still as 50% dimmer. Also, some of the pixels in the display are dimmer than others. Not happy at all. Luckily it is under warranty (3 years) so I have a few months to send it out.

I thought maybe in the future to get Emotiva amps for the woofers in my speakers and use my tube amp for the panels (electrostatic panels). Now thinking to get Schiit amps instead.

Top Bottom