• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

win

I am patiently waiting for my Freya+ to ship. Did anyone ever actually get one drop shipped to Amir?

side note and not very relevant to this forum, but I hope the current back order isn't just waiting for the JJ tubes, when the 6sn7gtb tung sol new production tubes sound much better anyway!

Veri

Master Contributor
I am patiently waiting for my Freya+ to ship. Did anyone ever actually get one drop shipped to Amir?
Nope. And I've heard conflicting things, the JJ tubes are pretty good on paper really. Probably why Schiit switched to them, cheap and low-noise.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I haven't auditioned 6SN7 types in 20 years. However the best I'd heard in my Wavelength Sine preamp were the Golden Dragon 6SN7GT which are no longer made. I love the way they sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
I haven't auditioned 6SN7 types in 20 years. However the best I'd heard in my Wavelength Sine preamp were the Golden Dragon 6SN7GT which are no longer made. I love the way they sound.
Looks like they are relatively easy to get still when looking at some UK websites or ebay.uk

eduardw

Forum Donor
Hi
Question did anyone do a comparison between the freya S and the audio-gd master 1 preamp. The freya S is half the price as the audio-gd master 1 I would love to know how they compare.

Eduard

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi
Question did anyone do a comparison between the freya S and the audio-gd master 1 preamp. The freya S is half the price as the audio-gd master 1 I would love to know how they compare.

Eduard
Hello Eduard. The Freya S is a really good solid state, balanced pre-amp and I recommend it. The Audio-GD master has not been reviewed here as of yet so hard to say with certainty, but overall the few devices of that brand that were reviewed here, were pretty bad performing which does not bode well.

eduardw

Forum Donor
Hi Veri
Thank you for the quick reply.

Another question for the Freya S when I want to integrate the freya s in my Ht setup but the Freya S does not have a real ht bypass. I'm going to miss this option. I know about putting the freya in passive mode and turn the volume to max so you can use it as a bypass. But I'm afraid the when I switch inputs the I forget to turn the volume back. A create solution would be a volume memory per input.

Eduard

win

Hi Veri
Thank you for the quick reply.

Another question for the Freya S when I want to integrate the freya s in my Ht setup but the Freya S does not have a real ht bypass. I'm going to miss this option. I know about putting the freya in passive mode and turn the volume to max so you can use it as a bypass. But I'm afraid the when I switch inputs the I forget to turn the volume back. A create solution would be a volume memory per input.

Eduard

you could just get a line level switcher before the Freya. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WMZWVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZbDiFbYY07EJA

theoretically, it should be completely transparent since it's just going to be a relay controlling the switch. I wouldn't even get one with volume control.

It would be annoying to have to switch it individually each time though. Depends on if you're using a universal remote, doing so makes these complex system setups a lot easier

Edit - they advertise these switchers as having multiple inputs and 1 output, but you'd simply use the opposite - 1 input and switched outputs. The circuits won't care.

win

My Freya+ just shipped. Now I'm trying to convince myself that it's close enough to the Freya s to not bother testing it. I can be persuaded XD

What is the typical turnaround time for @amirm to test?

win

Moot point for now. Unit arrived malfunctioning :(

skypickle

@amirm thank you for your testing. I noticed in the photo of your room you have a rather large amp sitting between our salon2 speakers? What is it? Also, I noticed a box that looks like a sub behind the R speaker. How did you integrate your sub? Does your preamp have dedicated sub outputs?(I know the Freya does not so you would be pumping out the same low frequencies from your sub and the Revels) Since the Revels can get to really low frequencies anyway (10 hz?) , did you notice a difference with the sub?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even more of a moot point.
they are no longer going to make this anymore. Once its gone its gone.
I bought it based upon this review and they have delayed shipment. after inquiring as to why, it was revealed (you can see its been removed from their product offering) this items is gonzo.

ASR curse?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even more of a moot point.
they are no longer going to make this anymore. Once its gone its gone.
I bought it based upon this review and they have delayed shipment. after inquiring as to why, it was revealed (you can see its been removed from their product offering) this items is gonzo.

ASR curse?

That’s a real shame - it fills a real niche, performs well, and is a great value.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All that is left on the more complete pres are toooobs.

win

All that is left on the more complete pres are toooobs.

Indeed, but the tube version has the same passive mode, a buffer mode, and the tube mode. the passive mode is exceptionally transparent. The tube mode replaces the gain mode on the Freya S, which didn't test as well anyway.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
That’s a real shame - it fills a real niche, performs well, and is a great value.
Too bad. Seemed like a very nice preamp.
On Superbestaudiofriends there's a discussion about a future successor dubbed the "Saga 2". It will have Freya S functionalities in the original Saga box size. So obviously there will be some I/O missing due to smaller chassis size. But, eventually there'll be a "mini" Freya S, which might in fact sell better. It's the entire point of the "thunderdome" exercise after all, to find out what sells best and continue making that :)

Last edited:

win

On Superbestaudiofriends there's a discussion about a future successor dubbed the "Saga 2". It will have Freya S functionalities in the original Saga box size. So obviously there will be some I/O missing due to smaller chassis size. So eventually there'll be a "mini" Freya S, which might in fact sell better. It's the entire point of the "thunderdome" exercise after all, to find out what sells best and continue making that :)

2 xlr pairs and rca pairs is probably excessive for inputs

Top Bottom