• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I agree with this. I had a negative experience with customer service as well, trying to get an answer about the Freya repair.
Also, several years ago I asked customer service if Schiit had any interest in developing a multichannel device and received a sarcastic and unprofessional reply.
My perception is that there a certain arrogance at Schiit Audio.
Having said that, I appreciate the repair of the Freya. Thank you again to Schiit.

I can understand why you could perceive Schiit as arrogant but I promise you that is far from the truth.

There is, most certainly, a nonchalance and cheeky tone to everything we do. We are also very opinionated. That can (sometimes) alienate people and be ill received. But, it’s how we like to do business. We have fun, we joke around, and there are no such things as audio emergencies.

But while we maintain this approach, we do try to give people the best experience for their dollar. I’ll make sure we continue to work harder on the customer service end to improve that end user experience. Thanks, as always, for the input.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In other Schiit news,I read elsewhere that the Sol (tt) is in stock and available for purchase (again)!
Perusal of the website seems to support this (although, right now today might not be the most propitious time to order).
https://www.schiit.com/products/sol

AnLaoJin

Poor quality control. For Chinese users, this is a brand that is not recommended to buy. After sales will become a big problem

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That whole 6 dB gain issue when using XLR is a bit odd. I mean, it's easy enough to see how this would come about - typical balanced output topologies have a gain of 2, typical balanced inputs could be at unity or have a moderate amount of loss or gain - but wouldn't this seem to indicate at least a certain lack of familiarity with balanced inputs and output circuitry? It seems like something that would have been spotted on a block diagram or even level diagram (like the good folks in the '70s used to draw).

I mean, you're never going to make everyone with every single combination of devices happy, but using -6 dB on the XLR inputs would give consistent gain when using RCA in / RCA out and XLR in / XLR out at least. It should generally be a very minor change, either swapping out two resistors per channel or using the (+/)-6 dB version of the same balanced receiver series.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mean, you're never going to make everyone with every single combination of devices happy, but using -6 dB on the XLR inputs would give consistent gain when using RCA in / RCA out and XLR in / XLR out at least. It should generally be a very minor change, either swapping out two resistors per channel or using the (+/)-6 dB version of the same balanced receiver series.

This was the reason I couldn't use the Topping DX7PRO as a preamp as I intended - the gain differences between the XLR outs (to power amp) and RCA outs (to powered subs) just could not be overcome satisfactorily. It didn't seem like a constant gain difference either - the delta would vary depending on the volume setting - theu would gain up at differing rates.
One question though - when using XLR to RCA cables, does this step down the output as well? Would a 4v XLR out be reduced to 2v in at the other end going into an RCA input? Or just be an unbalanced 4v signal?

Veri

Master Contributor
This was the reason I couldn't use the Topping DX7PRO as a preamp as I intended - the gain differences between the XLR outs (to power amp) and RCA outs (to powered subs) just could not be overcome satisfactorily. It didn't seem like a constant gain difference either - the delta would vary depending on the volume setting - theu would gain up at differing rates.
One question though - when using XLR to RCA cables, does this step down the output as well? Would a 4v XLR out be reduced to 2v in at the other end going into an RCA input? Or just be an unbalanced 4v signal?
Step down, half the output is dropped. RCA has only 1 pin for signal.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Or rather, you get the inverting side of your balanced out by simply inverting the unbalanced signal. Which gives an effective gain of 2 (6 dB).

It all gets a bit inconsistent if that is not matched by a gain of -6 dB (1/2) on the balanced input side.

The difference between consumer unbalanced and pro balanced levels actually is even greater than that - -10 dBV vs. +4 dBu is almost 12 dB. (So the counterpart of 2 Vrms = +8 dBu @ 0 dBFS CD level would be +20 dBu.) That said, it is actually quite common not to run power amp inputs that hot - if anything, pro audio amps are more sensitive as they can generally achieve full output at only 0 dBu (0.775 V), but they generally feature input level pots as well that allow them to be turned way down if necessary (long runs and whatnot). When consumer amps are adorned with balanced inputs, well, anything goes really.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I plan to build a Purifi-based stereo amp, but don't have any balanced sources. I'd obviously prefer use a passive preamp since I don't need a lot of gain, and also don't want to use XLR - SE cables, so this preamp seems like the best option for converting SE to balanced out. Has anyone tested that?

From the review it looks like just the balanced output was tested using a balanced source. If anyone has comments on the performance of that incredibly useful feature, it would be appreciated!

PeteL

Major Contributor
I plan to build a Purifi-based stereo amp, but don't have any balanced sources. I'd obviously prefer use a passive preamp since I don't need a lot of gain, and also don't want to use XLR - SE cables, so this preamp seems like the best option for converting SE to balanced out. Has anyone tested that?

From the review it looks like just the balanced output was tested using a balanced source. If anyone has comments on the performance of that incredibly useful feature, it would be appreciated!
You can't convert single ended to balanced in the passive mode, unless i'm missing something, I have the freya+ and it's like that, you will have to use the differential-unity gain stage. Yes some passive DI Box can balance a signal passively with a transformer but that's not the approach here. I don't have experience with purify, but I do with ncore, and altough you state that you "obviously prefer" passive, It's not that "obvious" In my implementation of the Ncore 500 module, my gain structure do benefit having some gain at the pre, but in all cases the Freya line will be a great match and it gives you that flexibility. Just don't expect single ended to balanced conversion in passive mode, unless the Freya s is different that the +, in which case i'd be happy to be corrected if some user use it that way

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like using the "zero" gain active mode - which apparently is not really zero gain but instead provides some (pre)amplification of the signal - you can get performance approaching the passive mode while availing yourself of single-ended/balanced conversion, yes?

I realize zero gain active mode is not quite equal to passive mode in terms of measured performance, but it is pretty darned close.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. The effective 6 dB gain is introduced by the SE/bal stage topology.

That said, using a $599 preamp just as a pure SE/bal converter seems like a waste - there has to be some sort of less expensive option for what ultimately amounts to a mere handful of electronics.

Oh, totally agree with you there! The Freya S's ability to convert from SE to balanced with very little performance loss compared to using it in passive mode is just a bonus - but you're right, it's a nice feature only if you need a preamp. Otherwise it's a waste.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Correct. The effective 6 dB gain is introduced by the SE/bal stage topology.

That said, using a $599 preamp just as a pure SE/bal converter seems like a waste - there has to be some sort of less expensive option for what ultimately amounts to a mere handful of electronics.
Sure, but finding a $599 Balanced preamp is already very difficult. OK, you buy a 199$ Stereo DI Box, you have 1 stereo channel of balanced audio, Then what do you do for volume control? Or for input switching? "There has to be less expensive options"? What options? Yes, a DI box does just that but it is of very little use in a hifi home system configuration.

Top Bottom