• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

jjk

Forum Donor
There is a Freya S up for sale on USAudioMart just today.
Full disclosure: I am the seller and this is the unit that @amirm reviewed and then re-reviewed. Unit was repaired and refurbished by Schiit.

TheInquiring

Correct unless you get a lousy preamp with tons of distortion and noise.
Thank you very kindly, Amir!:)
Are there any preamps you personally would recommend using in between Topping D90 DAC and Pass Labs XA30.8 class A stereo power amplifier, please? Or just connect the D90 directly to the Pass and be done?:facepalm:

Last edited:

TheInquiring

I would personally put this Freya in there if it had a level display. Right now I am using a Premair amplifier as a preamp which I like to upgrade.
Could you please share, if I may ask, what preamps you consider, Amir? This info would be really priceless...:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you very kindly, Amir!:)
Are there any preamps you personally would recommend using in between Topping D90 DAC and Pass Labs XA30.8 class A stereo power amplifier, please? Or just connect the D90 directly to the Pass and be done?:facepalm:
I have tested too few preamps to give an answer. I can tell you though that if the features of this Schiit Freya S meets your goals, it would be great in this application.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
But it doesn't have an HT pass through. I've been meaning to query T.M. Noble about that. It seems like Schiit should be able to implement that in firmware; set one input to unity gain. That would make it a dynamite preamp IMO.

Russ

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But it doesn't have an HT pass through. I've been meaning to query T.M. Noble about that. It seems like Schiit should be able to implement that in firmware; set one input to unity gain. That would make it a dynamite preamp IMO.

Russ

Site quote..

“ Home Theater Integration, $0. Okay, all you "home theater bypass" guys. All of our preamps offer true home theater bypass. Just plug in your processor's front channels to any input, select Passive mode, and turn the volume all the way up. Presto! 1:1 home theater bypass, with only a relay in the signal path. ”

TheInquiring

I have tested too few preamps to give an answer. I can tell you though that if the features of this Schiit Freya S meets your goals, it would be great in this application.
Thank you, Amir!:)
I am trying to build a "music-only" Hi-Fi setup, and I would probably get the Schiit Freya S if it only had a level display... Otherwise, it is an excellent choice: budget-friendly, and, most importantly, it is on Amir's recommended list.:)
The only question I personally have if we can trust their QC doing its job thoroughly, and all the time... It would be interesting to know if the manufacturer did find the root cause of the issue reported on (large channel difference in SINAD) during the first review, and so we can have some sort of guarantee.:facepalm:

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Site quote..

“ Home Theater Integration, $0. Okay, all you "home theater bypass" guys. All of our preamps offer true home theater bypass. Just plug in your processor's front channels to any input, select Passive mode, and turn the volume all the way up. Presto! 1:1 home theater bypass, with only a relay in the signal path. ”

Wow. Giant swing and a miss. All of us home theater bypass GUYS know how to implement a unity gain bypass. But not the WIVES and FAMILY. Tell my wife what you suggest above when she wants to watch a movie and you better run for your life. :p

The popular (on this website) Benchmark LA4 allows one to set any input to unity gain. The Pass XP-12 also allows setting any input to unity gain. The Wyred for Sound STP-SE allows for the same and, in addition, will automatically select the HT input when you turn your prepro on. Additionally, if the Wyred is OFF the prepro will turn in ON and select the HT input. :) Some of the new McIntosh preamps have the same features as the Wyred.

I'm obviously preamp shopping and would like the Freya to have the ability to FIX any input to unity gain too. Single and divorced guys need not apply.

Russ

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Giant swing and a miss. All of us home theater bypass GUYS know how to implement a unity gain bypass. But not the WIVES and FAMILY. Tell my wife what you suggest above when she wants to watch a movie and you better run for your life. :p

The popular (on this website) Benchmark LA4 allows one to set any input to unity gain. The Pass XP-12 also allows setting any input to unity gain. The Wyred for Sound STP-SE allows for the same and, in addition, will automatically select the HT input when you turn your prepro on. Additionally, if the Wyred is OFF the prepro will turn in ON and select the HT input. :) Some of the new McIntosh preamps have the same features as the Wyred.

I'm obviously preamp shopping and would like the Freya to have the ability to FIX any input to unity gain too. Single and divorced guys need not apply.

Russ
Lol, Don’t shoot the messenger..

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Site quote..

I just got my (purchased mainly as a result of this review) Freya S, and this is exactly how I have it set up at the moment. The required training class for parents, spouses, etc. shouldn't be too bad...

Might be worth leaving a sticky on it for instructions, but they wouldn't need it for long. ;)

My first impressions of this thing are excellent. It's a very attractive (to me) component...heavy...and those little clicks of the relay as the volume changes is actually pretty cool.

I'll give credit where it's due, and when a company goes from where they were to making a preamp of this capability I was happy to buy it.

The little remote isn't plastic crap either...
15839731628093093373219330042462.jpg

Overall kudos to Schiit.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Objectivists were given a blind test, A then B; A was L and R speakers non-inverted polarity. B was one channel inverted polarity, the other channel non-inverted polarity.

The objectivists said A equaled B, no change. A friend is curious if you have any comment.

Cool story, bro.

idiomatically

I have to admit I have had a pretty negative interaction with the folks at Schiit recently as well, specifically Laura. I still placed an order but as a purchasing experience, it left ALOT to be desired. They could definitely improve on the customer experience.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Might be worth leaving a sticky on it for instructions, but they wouldn't ne impressions of this thing are excellent. It's a very attractive (to me) component...heavy...and those little clicks of the relay as the volume changes is actually pretty cool.

My wife said “you can take your sticky and stick it where the sun.......” :)

Russ

Last edited:

jjk

Forum Donor
I have to admit I have had a pretty negative interaction with the folks at Schiit recently as well, specifically Laura. I still placed an order but as a purchasing experience, it left ALOT to be desired. They could definitely improve on the customer experience.
I agree with this. I had a negative experience with customer service as well, trying to get an answer about the Freya repair.
Also, several years ago I asked customer service if Schiit had any interest in developing a multichannel device and received a sarcastic and unprofessional reply.
My perception is that there a certain arrogance at Schiit Audio.
Having said that, I appreciate the repair of the Freya. Thank you again to Schiit.

idiomatically

We have never taken money from any customer until we are shipping your item.

That is simply not true mate, I have had you cancel orders in the past and then refund me well prior to shipping items. Your emails state and I quote; "it was canceled and all funds were returned to the purchasing credit card." Bank statements are pretty clear to read.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
That is simply not true mate, I have had you cancel orders in the past and then refund me well prior to shipping items. Your emails state and I quote; "it was canceled and all funds were returned to the purchasing credit card." Bank statements are pretty clear to read.

If that is the case it was either miscommunication or a mistake was made. I would need to look into your case in particular, which I can do if you like.

We only authorize a payment when it is ordered. We only capture the payment when we are ready to ship. Schiit has always processed its orders that way.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

Also, I would bee happy to help you if I can. If you would like to tell me about your experience I would like to make the next one better.

Top Bottom