• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SBAF getting an APx555

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I've worked with one of those clones ;-) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-sabaj-d5-dac-amp.8337/page-6#post-211348
EDIT: They had originals, too, some in bad condition, all connectors corroded (the hot humid and salty air in the Shenzhen area).
Such "copy" of sys2*** made the same company which now makes APx5** "copies". BTW, they told me that "copy" of sys2*** was really garbage
but copy of APx5**(2 years ago they had no APx555 copied) much closer to the original. The company does repairing for all AP analyzers, I think it was a starting point to steal.

IVX

Major Contributor

IVX

Major Contributor
Am am in the market for a sub $500 Chinese analyzer. That would go great in my shop.
hey, I almost finished a simple ADC/USB interface aka Cosmos ADC for DIY measurements based on ES9822 which outperforms AP SYS2*** for THD+N(@1kHz -118/-121db 2/1ch mode), with 8 input ranges 1.8..10Vrms XLRs or up to 60Vrms AUX balanced input to measure power amps. The PCBA 90x50mm will be $100(of course TBD due to all of silicon part today 3x..5x priced) or $150 with housing. At the same time, I preparing Cosmos APU(Analog Processing Unit) contains SSM2019 40/60db <140nVrms(A)(FYI APx555 about 700nV) noise preamps with switchable passive 22kHz input-BW limitation(to avoid any PC, USB or BT HF noise disturbance, FYI all AP analyzers have no input BW limited and have a lot of problems HF-noise related). Also, APU has 1/10kHz notch filter to measure THD+N at the level(@1kHz -126db or 0.00005%) unreachable for APx555 or investigate harmonics at -140db(@5Vrms or -130db at 9.5Vrms) and lower. APU PCBA I think could be $50 if not calibrated. So, as you can see, technology did make your dream come true <<$500.
WeChat Image_20210526011018.jpg

Newman

Major Contributor
Seeing from the outside it's a good thing. More data more better.
If they were measuring different gear then yes a good thing: the community knows more about more gear. But if they re-measure the same gear then IMO mainly a waste. Only invites infinite pedantic debate to explain different measured values. Pedants joyous, pragmatists despair.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If they were measuring different gear then yes a good thing: the community knows more about more gear. But if they re-measure the same gear then IMO mainly a waste. Only invites infinite pedantic debate to explain different measured values. Pedants joyous, pragmatists despair.
You can confirm different unit, different batch. Also different measurements can be performed. There's no waste. Seeing from outside there's no such thing as waste. More is more. Seeing from the outside means you don't give a crap about either party but only see what's going on objectively. More debate is not in the business of seeing from the outside.
As a member, or a designer even, of course it can have endless good or bad possibilities in the future.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hey, I almost finished a simple ADC/USB interface aka Cosmos ADC for DIY measurements based on ES9822 which outperforms AP SYS2*** for THD+N(@1kHz -118/-121db 2/1ch mode), with 8 input ranges 1.8..10Vrms XLRs or up to 60Vrms AUX balanced input to measure power amps. The PCBA 90x50mm will be $100(of course TBD due to all of silicon part today 3x..5x priced) or $150 with housing. At the same time, I preparing Cosmos APU(Analog Processing Unit) contains SSM2019 40/60db <140nVrms(A)(FYI APx555 about 700nV) noise preamps with switchable passive 22kHz input-BW limitation(to avoid any PC, USB or BT HF noise disturbance, FYI all AP analyzers have no input BW limited and have a lot of problems HF-noise related). Also, APU has 1/10kHz notch filter to measure THD+N at the level(@1kHz -126db or 0.00005%) unreachable for APx555 or investigate harmonics at -140db(@5Vrms or -130db at 9.5Vrms) and lower. APU PCBA I think could be $50 if not calibrated. So, as you can see, technology did make your dream come true <<$500.
Great news. Would I be able to buy Cosmos ADC and APU in the EU?

IVX

Major Contributor
LTig, a normal Aliexpress distribution excludes only India and Peru if I remember correctly, BTW, I have no idea why India, there are a lot of E1DA users.
PS: to test APU I use AP SYS2522 analog generator + low noise low impedance 1kHz LPF with opa1612 to get as low as possible distorted sine. After cutting the AC line hum products by 400Hz HPF, 6Vrms input 1kHz notched to -20db overall gain +20db so APU output is 6Vrms again, AP reading THD+N 0.0005% which need to divide by factor 10(1kHz -20db notched), hence APU can see 0.00005%@1kHz and harmonics at -145-160db. To be honest, calibrated APU may work with pretty much any audio-card and outperform APx555b regard THD+N and Dynamic range, so I worrying if not so many people will buy Cosmos ADC which is quite tricky designed and couldn't be noticeable cheaper than claimed above.

2021-05-31_13-28-13.jpg

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I always wondered why AP started to add hardware keys to their analyzers and software. Now I see why.

Didn't something like that happen to Sound Technology back in the day? Didn't they move from hardware devices to a software suite in the early 1990s? Spectra Lab/RTA etc. Then the software got hacked and everyone had a cracked copy. I think they folded soon after.

KSTR

Major Contributor
FYI all AP analyzers have no input BW limited and have a lot of problems HF-noise related).
I think I've have just found out that the hard way, the other day ;-)
While for PWM power amps it is clear you have to use their AUX0022 lowpass filter (or something similar) it was less clear one seems to need a LPF when looking directly at RF-polluted analog line-level signals, like voltage DAC direct output (before filter).

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
@IVX, I fully agree. A monopoly is always a problem and competition helps everyone, especially for prices. There have been better spec'd analyzers (certain R&S models) in the past but a sort of consensus has establish in the audio industry that AP is the de-facto stand that everyone must use when to be taken seriously. A sad situation... as is the repair policy of AP. No way to get a service manual for older products like my 2322, for understandable reasons though, but still a great pity.

2M2B

I don't think I'm overly interested in much said at SBAF atm with comments like this coming from that same member;

View attachment 132661

View attachment 132662

View attachment 132663

I don't see why some members there can't be a bit more respectful, as I don't see the same sort of comments about their forum or members here, or to that extent at least.

In fact I don't see why the two sites couldn't work together to provide dual or different sets of measurements for various products... but some apologies may need to be forthcoming first.

JSmith

More measurement data is always a good thing. But SBAF is too toxic to ever care that there doing this. I've seen that dude & more contradict everything they say and explode if anyone points it out. Like the Audio64 U18tzar thread it total dumpster fire with Purr1n saying dodgy stuff and the OP causing drama cause someone pointed out adults can only hear 15 ~ 16KHz with no hostility?.

I've gotten more civility from headphone threads on 4chan.

IVX

Major Contributor
KSTR, take a look at the SYS1 manual, I have a feeling that the analog-guy is still the same for all models, or his ideas. I didn't see APx555 inside but I guess they simply used parallel MDACs to reduce impedance twice and get 3db THD+N improvement. You can solder pin2pin in parallel MDACs(20-10k ladders and 2Vrms max of course noise dominates) in your SYS2*** and increase notch's caps 2x times to get 3db improvement as well ;)

jae

Major Contributor
View attachment 132832
Adapt an simplify design for a compact microphone pre+ADC!

KSTR

Major Contributor
@IVX, SYS1 service manual is already at hand and very valuable for the general concepts of the analog path. Still it would be better to have original manual for 2322 to quickly identify relay / analog switch assignments and such.
I'm also getting some probs on the digital side as of lately (glitches -- zero's samples -- on the dig out on the right channel)... maybe the whole thing is slowly but finally dying now, it has had a heavy duty work life.
Thanks for the tip, btw. I'm already thinking about replacing all the film caps (osc and notch) with NP0 banks as they did in the new models, but then I'll certainly have to do a full recal.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LTig, a normal Aliexpress distribution excludes only India and Peru if I remember correctly, BTW, I have no idea why India, there are a lot of E1DA users.
I haven't bought anything at Aliexpress but it should work. I couldn't find Cosmos ADC and APU, so I assume they are not yet available. Do I have to look for a specific dealer?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I haven't bought anything at Aliexpress but it should work. I couldn't find Cosmos ADC and APU, so I assume they are not yet available. Do I have to look for a specific dealer?
I shop on Ali often for anything made in China with a normal or high value to weight ratio that I don't need for a month or two. Cheese slicers, headphone connectors, wire, bike pieces, toy dinosaurs, tubes, etc.; a huge share of what I used to get on Amazon. It has been a very positive experience.

I will probably grab some of this Cosmos stuff when it shows up.

Top Bottom