• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SBAF getting an APx555

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Finally, for things like isolating cable sound etc an AP is the wrong tool ;-)
A course in fortune telling would be a much better use of the money than the AP in that regard. :)

XpanD

Forum Donor
Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this, if they can provide good standardized data that can be compared to other sources that's a huge win no matter the sentiments. (though I do hope that people on both sides keep things civil!)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I dont care a shi** what others say. @amirm does a phantastic outstandig great job for the audio community. And @hardisj now also with a Klippel. Thats absolutly amazing. Hard times for people that live from talking snake oil BS.

RobS

Forum Donor
They are trying so hard to avoid their world view from being completely destroyed.
The level of jealousy and denial is unreal. Really when will they accept the truth. Is APx555B the last hope for them that will eventually "prove" what they hear or are they going to trash APx555B for being what it is after not able to prove anything.

I don't think purr1n purchasing an AP is for confirmation bias. (Sure there is an element of disliking how much influence ASR has had on the marketplace)

SBAF'ers think that the measurements by Amir are either done hastily, maliciously (to either benefit or detriment particular companies), obscuring, incomplete, and so on.

Their goal seems to show how ASR spreads misinformation.

The problem with that is purr1n himself is not a neutral actor. He is now a Schiit employee. So any measurements he does, or the interpretations of such, should be regarded with suspicion. In fact, his announcement of recently becoming an official Schiit employee is hidden from public view. He's undermined his own credibility before he's even started. Make of that what you will. IMO I haven't seen purr1n do anything other than being careful with the measurements he would take using an Avermetrics analyzer. He's shown in the past how easy it is to mess up taking particular measurements. But again, now that he works for Schiit, grain of salt and all that.

Personally, I like that a second set of measurements serves as a check against the measurements Amir does. This should force both parties to be more scrupulous, which is one of the intentions purr1n has by purchasing an AP.

I still find all this to be entertaining.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm all for it. The more people that buy APs and other analyzers, the more the market grows, competition sees opportunities and we may see the another era of ultra high performance test gear again.

Don't think for one second that AP will be the only ones at the top of the tree forever. Consider when AP had the original system one, Rhode and Schwartz and Panasonic had way better analyzers. HP had the market for decades prior and so did ST for a short period.

I think we will see a Chinese company produce a world class AP style test instrument that equals or exceeds the APX-555B in the next few years. And it will cost a fraction of the price. Thats's when things will get interesting in the test space.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I look forward to them providing more detailed analysis, though I know nothing of the forum or the poster mentioned. I'm curious why anyone would think his recent association with Schit would means the square root of SFA, except schit now have access to a 555 that they otherwise might not have. Good for them.

I sense a bit of two way inter-forum paranoia. The idea that a bad faith actor would spend thousands on a measuring tool to debunk another measurer is preposterous. If either he or Amir stray from correct use of their 555s it'll be obvious in the deviation from other third party results.

I sense some people read too many spy novels...

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I've seen many AP's, and some Klippel analyzers, just used as decorum or at least way below their possibilities.
There is a whole lot of specialized knowledge required to get meaningful data from a test set (though with APx it's easier than with System 2 generation).
Finally, for things like isolating cable sound etc an AP is the wrong tool ;-)
I'm not overly optimistic.
You must be talking about head fi

Bamboszek

I think we will see a Chinese company produce a world class AP style test instrument that equals or exceeds the APX-555B in the next few years. And it will cost a fraction of the price. Thats's when things will get interesting in the test space.
As far I know there is exact clone of SYS-2722 from China. It just isn't available for western world. I can't find reference now but I'm sure I seen that thing on diyaudio, possibly in @IVX post.
Another interesting thing - Audiobus - Audio Precision copy from China? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Chester

I look forward to them providing more detailed analysis, though I know nothing of the forum or the poster mentioned. I'm curious why anyone would think his recent association with Schit would means the square root of SFA, except schit now have access to a 555 that they otherwise might not have. Good for them.

I sense a bit of two way inter-forum paranoia. The idea that a bad faith actor would spend thousands on a measuring tool to debunk another measurer is preposterous. If either he or Amir stray from correct use of their 555s it'll be obvious in the deviation from other third party results.

I sense some people read too many spy novels...

I agree re. a little paranoia/scepticism creeping in (including this post I am about to write) but I suspect the recent acquisition of analysers/test equipment by forums is also a move to try and ensure their existing business model can continue. Ultimately manufacturers want to sell products and forums want advertising revenue to help them do that. Although most members here can likely review any measurements and make their minds up, what is probably hitting them harder right now is the general shift this forum is bringing, meaning the average audiophile is asking “Does it measure well?”. If forums that run on the advertising revenue model can say they own said equipment and an item measured “well” and sling a few graphs up, it will be enough for some. The fact that they will have to publish some data though, no matter how selective, is a massive step forward.

I liken this to Headfi taking sound science so seriously, they created a dedicated section for it. Absolutely nothing to do with keeping the objective and sales damaging comments away from the product threads. :D

Ultimately though, this is likely a good step forward and I’ve already spent too long commenting on something that doesn’t really matter. The sun is out in the UK, so I am off to do something incredibly British.....burn a vest shaped outline on my body :cool:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm all for it. The more people that buy APs and other analyzers, the more the market grows, competition sees opportunities and we may see the another era of ultra high performance test gear again.
I agree. OTOH many boutique style companies would be perfectly served by an RME ADI-2 PRO fs and REW to find the major faults in their products.
I certainly agree WRT the hardware. A major point in using such a system though is the usability of its control software which may not be so easily done. OTOH APs software seems to be in need of some serious competition as well ...

sq225917

Major Contributor
No doubt some will use them to measure well measuring gear but not bother to expose the poor and foo stuff. Unlike Amir.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am am in the market for a sub $500 Chinese analyzer. That would go great in my shop.

KSTR

Major Contributor

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AP and klippel marketing staff are probably going to have a hard time convincing management that a donation to an internet forum without named recognition or programmer advertisement is a good thing to do

JSmith

Master Contributor
AP and klippel marketing staff are probably going to have a hard time convincing management that a donation to an internet forum without named recognition or programmer advertisement is a good thing to do
Yeah, I don't know about that... I think the fact it's used here and constantly mentioned is pretty good exposure.

Also they were very helpful when Amir was choosing between models;
Audio Precision was kind enough to loan me both the APx525 (USD $18,000) and APx555 (USD $28,000).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-a-new-audio-precision-analyzer-apx555.3442/

JSmith

bboris77

Donation? I though SBAF is purchasing it. Maybe you are referring to something else.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That seems to be the case but hopefully shortly after he gets it, he realized it is not a tool for that and reverts to providing standardized measurements similar to mine so people can use either source for proper evaluation.
He'll probably take the measurement, do a colloquy on what he "hears", and use that do illustrate to his followers how "incomplete, erroneous, and misguidged" it is to rely on measurements in the first place, b/c they don't provide objective correlates for things like "plankton."

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He'll probably take the measurement, do a colloquy on what he "hears", and use that do illustrate to his followers how "incomplete, erroneous, and misguidged" it is to rely on measurements in the first place, b/c they don't provide objective correlates for things like "plankton."
I've thought for some time, especially on headphone reviews, Amir's contributions fall short without telling us about plankton. Maybe AP can come up with an AP plankton measurement. ;)

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I see no reason to buy APx555 and other new AP or even clones at all. If you are not a contractor OEM etc when your customers may require that equipment. Any DIYer easily may prepare a notch filter for a fixed freq. + low-noise preamp on high-performance opamps to outperform any AP for a few times($3 ssm2019 gives you 6x less noise vs $30000 APx555b), and almost for free.

Top Bottom