• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Measurements with the APX Framework from AP

docjordan

First, I’d like to thank you, @achimago for disassembling APX555. Very cool and interesting. Therefore, no need to disassemble my APX555 ;-)

Amir looked deeper into the HW, I focused on the SW

With the APX framework you can perform measurements in 3 ways
  • Benchmode
  • Sequence-Mode
  • External control via API, e.g. from matlab, c# etc.
The sequence mode includes many built-in measurement functions, but there exist several “external” measurement functions via plugins. E.g. PSQL or STI

The interface for these plugins is not documented in any way by AP. No ”hello world” example, nothing….

Of course, you can build sophisticated measurement algorithms with the API. But in this case you leave the easy to use sequence mode.

In my case, I would like to use my psycho-acoustics algorithms as plugins.

After digging very very deep into the APX software, I created my own plugins, to extend the sequence mode.

The company Admess created a nice video with my psycho acoustics plugins:

and a detailed description here:

https://www.akustik-messen.de/index.php/en/products/audio-precision-extension-for-psycho-acoustics

I discussed my solutions with AP itself, and they allowed me to use and develop my techniques. I’m not using any of AP's property, I’m just extending it with further measurement plugins. Of course, with heavy reverse engineering. Therefore, I know the internals of the AP code very well.
BUT, I’ll not answer any questions how to “crack” the AP software. They did a very good job and is worth the money.

Beyond full custom plugins, I created a host software that emulates the APX Framework and can load and run any of the external plugins. This is very useful for debugging plugins, you can also run plugins standalone.

If there is demand on extra functionality, that I can put into plugins for the APX sequence mode, let me know. I’ll publish some plugins for free, others will be available commercially.

docjordan

Last edited:
Top Bottom