• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A5 and A8 announced

Toku

Major Contributor
Is this device quiet during operation. I hear that a8 makes a noise when it's on... But not through the speakers but the device itself
The A8 uses ICEPower's 125ASX2 amplifier unit, but this amplifier unit is equipped with a switching power supply, and in rare cases, high-frequency sound may be emitted from parts such as transformers that are used. I think it points to that sound.

pickyAudiophile

A20a 2022 was officially posted on Sabaj's HP. At the same time, A20a and A8 have been discontinued.
For my taste a preamp unit (A20p 2022) is now missing. Since unfortunately there is no full-fledged preamp section built into that A20d 2022 DAC (no tone control) and these 2022 amps got castrated of all their electronical features, compared to 2020 series. Did they simply forget about vital features like tone control? Altogether that leaves the shade of ill-bred decisions made.

Toku

Major Contributor
For my taste a preamp unit (A20p 2022) is now missing. Since unfortunately there is no full-fledged preamp section built into that A20d 2022 DAC (no tone control) and these 2022 amps got castrated of all their electronical features, compared to 2020 series. Did they simply forget about vital features like tone control? Altogether that leaves the shade of ill-bred decisions made.
Did you know that SMSL and Sabaj are companies in the same group?
At the same time as A20a 2022, SMSL also released A300. These two products use the same amplifier section, and are differentiated by the input circuit and display.

pickyAudiophile

Did you know that SMSL and Sabaj are companies in the same group?
At the same time as A20a 2022, SMSL also released A300. These two products use the same amplifier section, and are differentiated by the input circuit and display.
Yes for sure, among Loxjie at minimum. My point was, if you're going to stay within one brand (Sabaj) rather than performing "mix and match" with SMSL labelled components there is no longer tone control available with Sabaj's poorly equipped 2022 amp(s).
I am A20a (2020 series) owner and went through these issues you mentioned which required DIY repair with replacing faulty PSU boards.

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes for sure, among Loxjie at minimum. My point was, if you're going to stay within one brand (Sabaj) rather than performing "mix and match" with SMSL labelled components there is no longer tone control available with Sabaj's poorly equipped 2022 amp(s).
I am A20a (2020 series) owner and went through these issues you mentioned which required DIY repair with replacing faulty PSU boards.
I have had many discussions with Sabaj's design staff about the problems with the A20a. But the fundamental solution seems difficult.
As a result, the Sabaj A20a 2020 has been discontinued along with the A8.
The new product A20a 2022 will probably be the successor to the A8/A20a.

I'm looking forward to the performance of the newly adopted MA5332MS chip, but the high level of Residual noise is a concern.
Although it is a product of the same group company, SMSL A300 is equipped with NJW1194 electronic volume + EQ to differentiate it.

Last edited:

tom_tom

I'm looking forward to the performance of the newly adopted MA5332MS chip, but the high level of Residual noise is a concern.
Although it is a product of the same group company, SMSL A300 is equipped with NJW1194 electronic volume + EQ to differentiate it.
So SMSL A300 2x 1270 and Sabaj A20a 2022 MA5332MS , right ? Is there any other MA5332MS amplifier on the market that You know about ?
I have Topping MX5 ( 1x1270 ) and it's fantastic but I could really use some more power.

Toku

Major Contributor
So SMSL A300 2x 1270 and Sabaj A20a 2022 MA5332MS , right ? Is there any other MA5332MS amplifier on the market that You know about ?
I have Topping MX5 ( 1x1270 ) and it's fantastic but I could really use some more power.
Unfortunately, the only amplifiers that use the MA5332MS chip are the A300 and A20a 2022. There is no information at all, so you have to buy it yourself and check it.

Toku

Major Contributor
Penso che sia la vendita finale dell'inventario di distribuzione.

tom_tom

Unfortunately, the only amplifiers that use the MA5332MS chip are the A300 and A20a 2022. There is no information at all, so you have to buy it yourself and check it.
Thanks for info ! So SMSL is not 2x 1270 but MA5332MS in fact. Both in same price here so I'll take SMSL becouse of remote, screen and I do not need XLR.

lithoc

I ordered the Infineon MA5332MS chip amp immediately after its release because I wanted to experience it quickly.
Since it is shipped from China, it will take more than a week to arrive.
Is the amplifier OK?

Toku

Major Contributor
Is the amplifier OK?
I bought two of them and have been using them continuously for more than a month, but there is no problem in operation.
Sound quality is the feeling that AO200 of the same SMSL was made more powerful.

mario_rouge

which do you think is better? A8 or A20A?
I bought two of them and have been using them continuously for more than a month, but there is no problem in operation.
Sound quality is the feeling that AO200 of the same SMSL was made more powerful.

Toku

Major Contributor
which do you think is better? A8 or A20A?
The A8 did not work properly in Japan due to a defect in the power supply voltage switching circuit. The A20a is also a product with a design flaw. Sound quality is not much different from AO200. The problems with each model have been posted on the ASR forum.

Top Bottom