• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A5 and A8 announced

Happyhammer

No, you do not want the volume knob at 12 o'clock because that hurts noise performance. I recommend setting the gain such that it is about 24 dB. With nothing connected play a 0.5 V test tone and use a DMM to measure the amplifier output voltage and set the knob so it is around 8 V. This will allow you to drive the amp to full power at the best noise performance.

EDIT: If you are using this on its own I would use the volume knob as that will truly give you the best noise performance. If you are using it like a power amp set the knob like I described above.

Michael
For those of us without the measurement skills. When using them as monoblocks, what's the approximate position of the volume knobs for approx 24 db gain? ie. 9,10,11 o'clock?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MCH

Major Contributor
Specifications
Inputs .................................................................................................RCA / XLR
THD+N ..................................................................................................0.005%
SNR ..........................................................................................................103dB
Channel separation .....................................................................................90dB
low pass cutoff frequency ...................................................................70~200Hz
Input Sensitivity / Input Impedance ............................................. 430mV / 22kΩ
Output Power
Stereo................................................................110W x 2(4Ω) / 66W x 2(8Ω)
BTL..........................................................................................225W x 1(4~8Ω)
Power Consumption ....................................................................................40W
Size ...........................................................................200X187X59mm (WxHxD)
Weight ........................................................................................1480g/ 3.26Lbs

Here is the info on the new 2022 A10a.
If you're interested in this, click the file.
no high pass version? wouldnt it be more useful for a wider audience? (just wondering)

Last edited:

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does the input sensitivity spec of ~400mV mean that these amps will clip with normal sources like 1V Chromecast Audio or 2V Desktop DACs?

spacevector

Forum Donor
There is a volume control for that.;)
True but if input to the amp is 1V, does it attenuate it enough to not clip? I thought the volume control only sets the gain of amplifier...

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True but if input to the amp is 1V, does it attenuate it enough to not clip? I thought the volume control only sets the gain of amplifier...

I assume you are referring to the A10a? I can only speak to how the A8 works, which is that the spec’d input sensitivity refers to input sensitivity with volume position at maximum. You can safely use higher input voltages but you are limited to 1.6 V (unbalanced) and 3.2 V (balanced). It would be nice if they actually spec’d this because I had to determine it experimentally and honestly thought I could send it a 4 V input with a lower volume knob position without issue but this is not the case. I guess all of this comes with the territory of buying poorly documented Chinese products.

Michael

spacevector

Forum Donor
I assume you are referring to the A10a? I can only speak to how the A8 works, which is that the spec’d input sensitivity refers to input sensitivity with volume position at maximum. You can safely use higher input voltages but you are limited to 1.6 V (unbalanced) and 3.2 V (balanced). It would be nice if they actually spec’d this because I had to determine it experimentally and honestly thought I could send it a 4 V input with a lower volume knob position without issue but this is not the case. I guess all of this comes with the territory of buying poorly documented Chinese products.

Michael
Excellent - hopefully they preserved similar for A5. Thanks for the clarification!

Zek

Major Contributor
I thought the volume control only sets the gain of amplifier...
Wrong, the amp gain is constant and depends on the design of the amplifier.
With volume control you adjust the amount of input signal to the amplifier.

Talisman

Forum Donor
@mdsimon2
Did you then conduct a blind listening test with the 252 hypex? They are very curious to have your impressions

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mdsimon2
Did you then conduct a blind listening test with the 252 hypex? They are very curious to have your impressions

No, I have not. Was out of town on business all week and came back on Friday.

I plan on doing sighted level matched listening this week and will see if I think I can hear a difference. If I think I can hear a difference sighted I will get a speaker switch box and see if I can do it blind.

Michael

spacevector

Forum Donor
After @mdsimon2 confirmed that the amplifier will not clip with a Chromecast audio (1V output), I ordered the A5 from Amazon US last week and it arrived this weekend. I paid $210 incl taxes.
Bought it to replace another chip amp that dies twice on me. The A5 works fine - hopefully this one lasts!
If I can get my other one repaired, I may send the A5 to amirm for review if he wants it.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
So while I'm waiting for a10d/a20d I put an order on two a8 just to test it. It's from Amazon so I'll be probably returning them as soon as new A10d/20d are out.
IMG-20220518-WA0001.jpg

(Sorry for the cable mess)

Chuckv

Forum Donor
A8 arrived 5/8 from amazon. Left it on with no speakers until 5/13. Very warm to the touch. attached speakers today. no sound. metal piece sliding around inside. going back to amazon. too risky on quality. My Sabaj D5 is over 2 years killing like day 1.

Talisman

Forum Donor
A8 arrived 5/8 from amazon. Left it on with no speakers until 5/13. Very warm to the touch. attached speakers today. no sound. metal piece sliding around inside. going back to amazon. too risky on quality. My Sabaj D5 is over 2 years killing like day 1.
I ask you a trivial question, did you check the rear input selector? if put on xlr and used in stereo it doesn't work

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ask you a trivial question, did you check the rear input selector? if put on xlr and used in stereo it doesn't work
I think "metal piece sliding around inside" by itself is enough to just send it back. :cool:

However, i wouldn't say it's a QA issue, might just be a transportation problem.

I say try again.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
I discovered it the night I posted. You are correct. Thank you. I missed the selector.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
I think "metal piece sliding around inside" by itself is enough to just send it back. :cool:

However, i wouldn't say it's a QA issue, might just be a transportation problem.

I say try again.
I just may. So many are getting problem free units.

mario_rouge

No, I have not. Was out of town on business all week and came back on Friday.

I plan on doing sighted level matched listening this week and will see if I think I can hear a difference. If I think I can hear a difference sighted I will get a speaker switch box and see if I can do it blind.

Michael
The blind test?

Top Bottom